M*CARBO Brotherhood

CB Radios/Hand helds

I’m thinking of getting a Midland 75-822 2-in-1 radio.
I know there are better permanent mounted units.
But I want to be able to walkie talkie with it, as well.
I’m going to mount a Firestick antenna to my Jeep.
And another one installed on my Polaris Ranger.

Anyone have experience with this radio?

6 Likes

Thats pretty specific. No experience with that one in particular, as all my CBs have been vehicle mounted or base stations.
After my last one got stolen from my jeep, ive been thinking about these handhelds, just not sure i trust getting decent range on the road.

This is the one ive been eyeballin.

4 Likes

The range should be adequate with the 4’ external Firestick.

Another option I considered
Midland MicroMobile® MXT275 15-watt GMRS base radio for vehicle or home use at Crutchfield
But it requires FCC license.

3 Likes

I’m interested in your post ValorSolo.

I’m not very knowledgeable with the subject.
I do have several mickey mouse type CB radios.
One being the set of Cobra CXT1095FLT Floating Walkies Talkies.
Never used them just placed them new in you know the kind of supplies. :wink:

I would like a base station set up with no huge antennas sticking up if possible . Maybe a goal of 25 to 50 miles. Also with 2 to 4 hand held radios.

I’m talking CB type equipment not Ham or even the more real high tech communication equipment.

I realize you are asking for the advice, I’m pretty sure you are not totally lacking knowledge on this subject. :thinking:
Thanks for your time.

Larry

4 Likes

I’m not at all familiar with today’s radio capabilities.
It’s been 25 years since I’ve had a need of a CB.
Back then, we spent hundreds of dollars on radios.
Whip antennas and amps on our trucks, latest CBs.
Tall towers, base radios at our homes and businesses.
And all that was to talk up to 15-20 miles maximum.

5 Likes

With tennis balls to save the paint and windows

6 Likes

I hear ya. I’m the same way. We use to sneak them in our patrol cars when I was stationed in the fabulous Florida Keys for 5 years :wink:

5 Likes

@ValorSolo

As with any 40 channel AM radio, your going to be limited to 4 watts legal transmit power, and that is with full input power. With a good antenna this should get 5-7 miles under favorable conditions. Portable on batteries will be less output.

Although I have no personal experience with the Midland 75-822, I know it supposed to be the best portable combo on the market.

I also know there are mods that can be done to give it 120 channels. Adds 40 above and 40 below. I’m not familiar with this mod, but I think it changes some of the channels to FM.

2 Likes

Good info, thanks. I’d like to research this mod you speak of.
But really just after a basic setup for now. 5-7 miles is acceptable.
It will be attached to the car kit and Firestick most of the time.

3 Likes

In my 4runner running a uniden pro520xl, DIY coax and a 4’ fire stick tuned to 1.5 swr (best I could get where it’s mounted). Works great and gets decent distance. No ham yet in the 4runner, or gmrs.

Miata is a cobra 75wxst and 4 foot fire stick tuned to 1 swr. On top of a mountain I got well over 100 miles, how I don’t know, maybe the storm was causing some weird ship.

5 Likes

I have a 75wxst also. It’s the radio my dad had in his pu.

The coax and antenna is key with any radio. The best radio in the world is useless using poor quality coax and antennas, or good quality, that isn’t mounted and tuned correctly.
The same goes for good power and ground connections, including chassis, engine, and charging system grounds.
Antenna location is also very important, but sometimes there is only limited options, and you have to work with what you have.

I prefer having swr at 1.3 -1.5. I have always had a more stable, and clear, transmission with some resistance.
Some antennas at 1.1 can have a “blurry” audio (voice) signal , if you will, and sound terrible to the receiving station.

3 Likes

currently running these,

these lil cobras will reach out 23 miles, and not break your heart if you loose one…

5 Likes

Assume you knew the person confirming their location???

Well, around here the running gag when you hear a newb asking how far his range is, we call back to him from “zilwaukee bridge”, which is almost exactly 100 miles from Detroit…

3 Likes

Hahahaha…That kind of thing has been known to happen.

However, I can confirm the possibility of a 100+ mile, direct line of site.communication (no skip), with unique conditions. There is a certain saddle on one of the mtn roads in the hills above Boise, Id, that due to unique conditions, has a perfect, narrow line of sight through the topography, and can reach areas here in the Magic Valley. 115 mi as a crow fly’s.

We have done it a handful of times. Twice the mtn radio has been a kid that lived there, with a standard cobra 148 gtl, and a steel whip antenna, and we had base stations here.

Doesn’t happen often, but it can.

4 Likes

Have you read this thread? Just in case you haven’t, it has some great info on the BaoFeng dual band radios etc. Different than CB of course

4 Likes

I have read it in the past. For me a lot of it was way over my head. lol

I’m going back and study it more. I could care less about the license and legal issues because when I use it , hopefully never. There won’t be a radio police. :wink:
I just would like to have some communication devices that work for a decent distance.

Larry

8 Likes

For the Baofeng unit, Amazon is bundling it with a Nagoya NA-771 17.5" whip antenna and BTECH PC03 FTDI cable; are they the right parts to meet LarrySr’s specs? (My requirements would be similar to his.) Thanks!

6 Likes

Goblin

Any information for Nomad733 and I on his question?
Larry

3 Likes

1 Like

Did we break something?
Larry

3 Likes