M*CARBO Brotherhood

CARS: Who's Into Old Cars Or Hot Rods?

@SnuffySmiff My best friend Andy’s stepdad, Donnie, is a hardcore Pontiac man. He would build engines using all Pontiac parts that were to die for. He built a couple Tempests and a T37 for Andy when we were growing up. For as long as I can remember, Donnie’s every day driver, has always been his plain, quiet, completely stock looking, white '65 GTO 4spd. This car was capable of putting you down. HARD!!
I’m an all in, dedicated Ford guy and not a fan of Chevy at all, but even my smart Ford money will back a Super Chief any day. :+1::sunglasses:

9 Likes

It took a while, but I was finally able to trade a buddy out of this little item.
I haven’t found any useful info on it so far. Does anyone know anything about these or the company?
(probably not rare, but maybe somewhat uncommon) Made in the 20’s almost certainly.
Superior Self Dump
Superior Body Co. Marion Ind.

These are old pics so not very good. It has nothing to do with the frame under it. It is just sitting on it. I will post better ones when I get it home.

2 Likes

@jeffing65

What I found: Founded in 1909 as the Garford Motor Truck Company, Garford was a leading manufacturer of heavy trucks. Superior Motor Coach Body Company (1923-1925) constructed bodies for Garfords new bus chassis, By 1925 the firm reorganized to Superior Body Company (1925-1940) and a majority of the firms bodies were now being mounted on Studebakers popular new bus chassis and introduced a line of funeral cars and ambulances mounted on purpose-built Studebaker or Cadillac chassis, Although Superior would mount their bodies on any chassis the customer desired placing quite a few on Cadillac chassis, Superior Coach Corp. 1940-1980. The curved/radius bottom corners of the bed kept the weight of material in bed centered better and helped sides of bed from becoming deformed.

6 Likes

@dave67 Thanks Dave. Great info. I have never heard of the Garford Motor Truck Company.

So that puts this one between 25 and 40. I wonder if the 7 in the first of the model # would indicate 1927 or more likely the last two #"s would maybe mean 1930?

Now the hard part. Finding something to put it on.

3 Likes

@jeffing65 Found this picture online, dump bed looks very similar to yours.

6 Likes

@jeffing65 What a Fantastic Score!:call_me_hand::call_me_hand: The Possibilities are Endless, You will Probably loose a’lot of sleep thinking on this One :rofl:
I mean do we go with a Simple Platform or With a Supercharger’ Then the color Candy Apple!:smiley:

6 Likes

@DivaMarie

That’s funny. I had those same thoughts. LOL I just got home with it. I will post some better pics this afternoon.

6 Likes

One of 5 Metropolitans I have. This one is a 1957 Convertible that I restored in 1986. Has it been that long???

11 Likes

@dave67 Nice pic. :+1: Not exactly the same but very similar.

5 Likes

@Partsed Last Time I was in one of these’ 4 people at a drive in movie !:rofl:

5 Likes

Not mine, but this is my dream truck. It’s like whoever built this read my mind. I’ll have one one day I hope.

11 Likes

@Appalachained I’m a Ford guy too. That is awesome!!:+1:

7 Likes

I love them all old metal with great lines not these cookie cutter cars we have now

7 Likes

@jeffing65 Hello! How we coming on the Da88 Pictures !:rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

@DivaMarie It has been so rainy and wet here that I haven’t been able to get it moved into the shop.
I don’t want to drive my forklift out to where I unloaded it. Nothing sucks worse than burying 4-5 tons of forklift in deep mud. I’ve done that before and it takes a bit more than just a good 4WD truck and a winch to get it out.

5 Likes

I hear ya, Gotta Love that Gumbo! Just had to Throw a shout at ya to see if your still among the living!

5 Likes

Yeah. Just seems like other, bothersome nonsense, keeps getting in the way and impedeing my play time.
It is no fun at all, and is completly “counter indicated” by my “Me Me Me…What I want to do” philosophy in the pursuit of happiness (or at least my own misery)… so I’m not sure what the snafu is. LOL

5 Likes