Carrying a rifle on an E-mountain bike

I’m getting a 2 wheel drive (yep) 2 battery E-CELLS Super Monarch Crown e-mountain bike for hunting. Should be here in Jan. 2023.
I have a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt that I’m having flush cups installed, especially on the left side, opposite the bolt handle side, for carrying on my back. IF that works when riding that big, fat tire bike I’ll do it that way. If not any suggestions? (BTW, I son’t want the rifle on a “handlebar rack”. Too much bouncing for the scope, methinks.)

Anyone ever tried this on any kind of bike?
Should I just put it in a padded case and strap it to the side of the bike?

2 Likes

What’s the overall length of the rifle in its most compact form?

2 Likes

I like the idea of mounting a sling on the side of the stock, like a M1 carbine. Sling the rifle across your body for security. I have toyed with the idea of double straps like a decathlon rifle. I at one time carried a M249 on an attachment to my vest by the rear sling mount. I could bicycle quite handily with that brick of a weapon hanging between my right arm and body. It was a short barrel variety with the collapsible stock.

3 Likes

There are some brackets for carrying a rifle down the fork leg, or behind the rider. Across the bars would end up in disaster with anything longer than 24” OAL.

3 Likes

How about…

It says compatible with rifles or bows.

3 Likes

I had to look it up…WOW!!! Love the AWD. Congratulations…:+1::zap::zap::zap::zap:

4 Likes

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I’ll look into that RAMBO gun/bow holder.
Mic, I can’t put anything vertically on the front fork B/C it has shocks that move. But maybe I can mount that RAMBO holder lower and more angled down in back.

I’m thinking I need a very basic cloth rifle case. I’ll cut open the lining, remove the soft foam and, using it as a cut some closed cell foam from a military sleeping mat and insert it for more protection.

MountainHunter, Yeah this E-CELLS model is a beast but (IMHO) better for me than an ATV - and much quieter.

4 Likes

Could you strap one like this to the forks?

4 Likes

The overall length is 42"
It’s a light (6 lbs. 3 oz.) 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro mountain rifle, carbon fiber stock, stainless action and barrel
KNIFE-> Norwegian HELLE GT laminated blade

3 Likes

That would require quite an apparatus to mount to the bars and the lower tree of the fork, but may be possible

2 Likes

Mount it like a 50 cal on a technical so you can shoot on the fly. lol

4 Likes

Ok…do you know the size of the rear cargo deck?

I’m thinking the (sweet looking) rifle will fit on an angle into a 36” Plano all weather tactical hard case. Pull the bottom foam out and hard mount it to the cargo frame with some good u-bolts and seal it all back up with some good low VOC (to save the rifle finish) epoxy and rubber patch and replace the foam. Get the pluck out foam and a utility knife for the tightest fit. Leaves the rifle flat, weather proofed and secure from bounces and can be locked on top of any local mandates (usually a chamber lock or locked case anyway).

Tuck it as close to the seat as possible without interfering with suspension travel to shorten the amount hanging off the back.

Anything else would be some heavier engineering (and usually end up as a vertical mount) that may start to void any warranty given you’d need different/longer hardware, or it would just be a well padded rifle scabbard tucked tightly into some pvc tube slung off/bolted to somewhere.

2 Likes

A diagonal across-the-back carry in a padded case may be more comfortable and protect the rifle in case of a spill. i’ll have to try it.

2 Likes

Hazard 4 makes a number of sling packs that will accommodate rifles. I can’t speak to carrying a rifle in one but I can vouch for the sling packs and bike use. I’ve got one of their Plan B Evac sling packs and used it to regularly haul two full beer growlers on my back comfortably while riding. Big fan of the sling packs (work great on bikes and motorcycles).

Thanks Chili, I took a look at the Sling Packs. Very novel pack designs.
I’m also looking at the KUIU Divide packs to put the rifle inside, barrel sticking up.
This is becoming an interesting problem that will be fun to solve.

3 Likes