Carbon Removal Suggestions aka jamming issues

My Browning Buckmark recently started having malfunctions feeding rounds after discharging a live round. Eg: Insert mag, drop slide (ok), fire, next round jams feeding into the chamber. Racking the slide ejects a damaged unfired round, next round often jams as well.

Tried cleaning with Hoppes #9, bronze brush, Ballistol. Tested by racking rounds from a loaded mag. Less jams but still maybe one round per mag jams. Tried different brands of ammo - still occasional jam. Have not yet tried live fire.

Started with CCI Mini-mags, after cleaning, tried racking CCI Mini-mags, CCI SV, Aguila Super Extra. No big differences - all of them had an occasional jam after cleaning.

I want to be sure that all carbon and carbon rings are getting removed. Is there better stuff to use than Hoppes, Ballistol?

:christmas_tree: :thinking:

6 Likes

I use Hoppes tornado brush, the stainless loops seem to scrub better.

4 Likes

Hopps #9 has allways worked for my 22 guns. My opinion is an occasional jam is just gonna happen with most 22’s. Your gonna get an occasional dud or an under power charge. Even the top shelf 22 ammo is cheap rimfire ammo. Its all made in very bulk size runs and nothing goes in like the more precision centerfire ammo gets. So i just expect an issue here and there when talkin 22.

8 Likes

Had the same issue with a Ruger MKII that I inherited off my dad. Jammed like crazy. It needed a good cleaning, which helped a lot, but was not perfect. The old Google Machine told me to clean the wax build up out of the magazine. I had to run a 22 caliber bore brush along the front inside edge of the entire magazine. I didn’t think this would help at all, but I tried it anyway. NOT A SINGLE JAM SINCE. And I didn’t see if any wax was in there or not. But after scrubing the hell out of the inside of the magazine, magic. The Buckmark is similar to the Ruger marks I believe. So I would give it a shot. When I get home I can post pics where to run the brush if you’re interested.

6 Likes

Tools needed(plus solvent and patches)

Insert rod here

Get this area good with solvent and brush and dry well (you know that part)

And basically just brush out the inside of the mag and get it nice and clean. I don’t know if this will solve your issues or not. But it completely eliminated mine. New springs in the mag might help too, may be worn out a little. Best of luck.

4 Likes

That sounds promising - something that I have not yet tried. Yea, Ruger and Buckmark have very similar mags. The mag loader I bought works on both of them. And you can make your own mag loader assist by simply drilling a hole in a small piece of wood. Slip it over the follower button and it’s much less pain on thumb or finger loading mags.

My mags are probably due for a good cleaning.

:christmas_tree: :gun:

4 Likes

Thanks! Great pics! “One pic is worth a thousand mouse clicks!” or something :wink:

:christmas_tree: :camera_flash:

3 Likes

Those bullets look very similar. I hope this helps. Getting my dad’s Mark 2 up and running again is one of my greatest gunsmithing accomplishments. Lol

5 Likes

Including reassembly after a break down, I’m sure. Ruger knows how to make you earn your stripes :slight_smile:

If you haven’t already, put re-installing the bolt in the 10-22 receiver as number two :laughing:

The Mark IV’s are now so stupid easy that even a millenium can field strip and reassemble - but that doesn’t mean that I don’t still have to fiddle with it!

:laughing: :christmas_tree: :rofl:

8 Likes

I was going to suggest this might be his second greatest gunsmithing accomplishment… :laughing:

7 Likes

Damn right about that. I even installed that after market hammer strut support and I STILL have trouble getting the damn bolt in perfectly to get it right.

As for the 10-22 bolt, Tandemkross sells a tool specifically for this purpose. It also has little notches on it for bolt disassembly. I fully endorse this tool for all who own a Ruger 10-22. What a life saver.

7 Likes

All 10-22 owners, get this tool!

https://www.tandemkross.com/Gunsmither™-Bolt-Bar-and-Extractor-Tool-for-Ruger®-1022®_p_140.html

6 Likes

This is true, though I’m not betting on that millennial horse. Probably be too offended by the gun to even touch it, candy asses… :grinning:

Ruger finally got around to fixing the one issue almost everyone had with the damn pistol…after four generations. :rofl:

6 Likes

Get a can of KROIL and soak the affected parts in it overnight. It will loosen the carbon buildup to be easily removed. I have used it for this and to free up rusted nuts, screws, etc. for 30+ years with very good results.

3 Likes

Thanks - I will look for some and give it a try. :slight_smile:

edit: Yikes! that stuff is not cheap! But if it works…

:christmas_tree: :shopping_cart:

2 Likes

The magazine cleaning was a great tip. Wish I’d had known.
But I had two buckmarks, consecutive serial numbers, his and hers and grew to dislike them. There’s about six screws that hold those together and one or two were always loose. First accuracy went, then malfunctions. Before the hail of barbs start I know I should have wetted everything with locktight. But I traded them both for a ruger which I never clean, tighten or otherwise take care of and it just keeps spitting them out. Better luck with yours.

3 Likes

I remove anything plastic off it, and drop it in acetone over night, then go through with my normal cleaning ritual. For lead build-up in the bore, you can use para-acetic acid, but I would only do that with a SS barrel. For non - SS barrels, I use a small piece of lead-away very sparingly. Magazines have any plastic removed, and get soaked in acetone, then brushed. I have a Ruger Mark I that I have kept going for a long time.

3 Likes

I cleaned the mags and they benefitted but the gun still jammed. I began closer observation and may have some clues:

1. jams happen when trying to chamber a round after being fired or ejected
  2. the round trying to go into the chamber gets deflected somehow - usually nose up but sometimes ass over teakettle
  3. the mag gets dislodged when the gun jams - the gun does not seem to jam if the mag is held in the well by a support hand or other means
  4. there is some chatter on the internet about grips, grip screws, and “correct” torque
  5. Browning says “no need to disassemble…” (obviously, they don’t understand the “needs” of us common, every day, household, international, Olympic, competition, Walter Mitty types - we need to disassemble everything - lifetime warranty be damned!)

All kidding aside - thanks for your input. And my “other gun” is a Ruger :smiley:

:christmas_tree: :gun:

5 Likes

Thanks for posting. Duly noted! I am considering an ultrasonic cleaner but am not sure how rifle and pistol barrels would fit and if big enough to accommodate receivers, mags, etc. :thinking:

:christmas_tree: :giddy_guns:

3 Likes

Still kinda sounds like a mag issue. Sorry the cleaning didn’t work. How old are the mags? Did the issue get worse over time or happen all the sudden? Could new springs help it out? Is the mag release plastic and maybe deformed somewhat?
Just spit balling here.

4 Likes