M*CARBO Brotherhood

Carbine rifles for hunting

Can you hunt successfully with a high point 4595ts?

7 Likes

@David1

That’s in .45 acp - right?

What are you wanting to hunt with it?

It should work up close for a lot of animals.

You might want to check out Ballistics By The Inch:

5 Likes

@David1 Check your state’s game laws. Most have a minimum caliber for use on different game animals.

5 Likes

Interesting site. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Yes it is a 45 caliber. I dont really hunt dear. It’s going to be to big for smaller animals then like rabbit size, isn’t it?

David Moore

3 Likes

IMO, 45 is a stretch past 'bout 75 yards; the risk of injuring the animal and losing it to suffer is high.

If you need to feed your family … ok. If you are shooting hogs - be ready with several follow up shots if it turns and charges.

I built my 460 Rowland specifically to take hogs. Very similar cartridge but double the muzzle energy. A couple folks have reported modifying 4595s to shoot 460 Rowland. I chased the idea for a bit but the discussions fizzle and the builders seem to stop talking about successes. So, I figure their successes are short lived.

I have a 1095 that I won’t hesitate to chase hogs with. The flatter trajectory gives me a longer shot and a harder hit.

5 Likes

Thank you for everyone’s opinions. It sounds like i need to get a different rifle for hunting. I’m keeping my 4595 tho. This is a awesome rifle. I have gotten a few parts from here, to improve a good rifle to a better rifle. It will be my home defense rifle.

David Moore

5 Likes

It does this duty very well!

5 Likes

@David1

Although you could use it for hunting in some circumstances, it probably would be better used as a home defense weapon. .45 acp has historically shown to be quite effective in defense against human attackers (in wars, home defense, law enforcement, etc.). So, good to go, there.

Regarding hunting - although there are some hunting rifles that do well for hunting multiple different types and sizes of animals (my favorites being .30-06 and .45-70), my expectation is that most gun people would have multiple rifles - each in different calibers and each with their planned hunting purpose(s).

Check out Hornady’s website - it show their recommendations for use (by categories of animals).

3 Likes

Thx guys. I will look at the website.

David Moore

2 Likes

Right tool for the job? Not every job needs a hammer, but even if it does you still have to select the right kind of hammer. Big difference between a tack hammer and a sledge hammer. There is a huge selection of calibers in carbines and AR pistols out there now that will accomplish whatever job you can come up with. Besides, it’s a great excuse to buy more guns.

You’re right about buying more guns. I was looking at 2 different guns, either a 17 or 22 for small game. And maybe a 243 or something like that.

David Moore

2 Likes