M*CARBO Brotherhood

Carbine mounted video camera

Sure hopes these links work as this is the 6 or 7th time I have tried this. I wanted to mount my Go Pro to my Hi Point 4095 carbine but could not figure out a quick way to do so but then remembered I had a ‘helmet cam’ that I got when I was in the fire department so I dug it out and figured out a way to mount it to the barrel of the carbine. See attached pictures, I took it to the range where I help teach a Texas LTC class and after the class was over I gave it a work out. Fired a total of 35 rounds through the gun and it seems the camera worked out well. Was having a heck of a time editing the videos so I only have the short one and not the one where I am firing as I approach the targets. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1s4X_6q20U
Photos:

Tom
I changed the video link to public so everyone can see it now. Sorry about that

8 Likes

Pretty cool. Funny how the camera sees things different. It appears (to me) the “camera” is flinching which of course is just the effect from recoil. I suspect there’s no zoom feature, not very common with these types of video cameras, but that would be cool to zoom onto your target.

3 Likes

Yes there is no zoom on that camera. I am actual surprised it did as well as it did. I have seen mounts for Go Pros and other cameras on weapons and was just messing around with that. The bracket that holds it to the barrel is plastic so I wrapped a piece of leather around before I mounted it. I might figure out a way to mount it differently.
Tom

3 Likes

You did well to have the camera see down range, at the target. We had Go Pros on our motorbikes and getting a good “picture” took some experimentation with location and angle. Be interesting to see how well it holds up to recoil.

4 Likes

Still doing tripods as i find good stout ones,most of em for the old style heavier video cameras, all i do is take one of the cheap 14$ for 2 QD risers,.500, mill the slots off the top, drill and counter a hole thru it from the QD side to fit a 5/16 Allen bolt( head has to be flush thats why I use the .500 risers, but you could go thinner if you did a counter sink) mount the shaved riser to the cam corder plate with the bolt, with the QD pointing up, and as its for a tripod can connect and disconnect a tripod with ease,but you could do that with anything you wanted to mount and remove with out a wrench…

6 Likes

I mostly eyeballed the alignment when I mounted it. I lucked out I guess. I mount my Go Pro to my motorcycle and it seems to take pretty good pictures except when I screw up and put in single shot mode as I ride down the mountain roads through the Cascades and have 1200 single photos. Ugggg
Tom

2 Likes

I like that. There is a front hand guard bolt on the carbine that I bet I could replace with a MUCH longer one that would allow me to mount the camera further back and or allow me to mount my Go Pro. Will be looking for one of those sets.
Tom

2 Likes

@TomT here ya go brother…

2 Likes

I’m a bit ashamed as I’ve got two GoPro cameras and I’ve never tried to attach them to my firearms. :unamused: Time to rectify that situation…

1 Like

Goblin, I thank you Sir
Tom

1 Like

Well I played around a bit, found a semi QD bi pod mount and figured out the swivel stud screws in so I removed it, drilled the hole out with a #7 bit and tapped it for a 1/4-20 thread. I found a short 1/4-20 bolt ran it in and the cut off the head of the bolt to make it a stud. Then attached a GoPro tripod mount that had a 1/4-20 hole in the bottom. Little fiddling , making a rubber shim and adding a lock washer and I got the camera mount to lock tight of the QD mount. I mounted the camera behind the flashlight I have on the carbine and it looks to work just right. I will have to figure out how to flip the video for play back as I have not yet figure out how to do it at the camera. Pictures for your viewing pleasure:

2 Likes