M*CARBO Brotherhood

Cap and Ball Revolver Suggestions

I’ve been thinking about getting a cap and Ball Revolver. Anyone have any suggestions to what type, brand etc.

4 Likes

Not sure they still make em but my favorite two are a Ruger Old Army and a David Pedersoli copy of an 1858 Remington Navy

7 Likes

A couple of years ago, I bought a Pietta-Remington New Model Army (1858). About a year later, I added a 5 1/2" Pietta NMA “Sheriff’s Model.” Of the two, I really like the shorter “Sheriff’s Model.” It’s handier to pack, and it’s just plain fun. It’s not really an historically correct revolver, but if that doesn’t matter, I would recommend taking a look at one.

Howard

6 Likes

Those sound good :smile: I’ll have to give em a look.

5 Likes

I have to agree on the Ruger Old Army. Absolute top quality and probably the strongest cap and ball revolver ever built. That was Bill Ruger’s intent when he designed the Old Army. It is patterned after, though not exactly historically identical to the 1858 Remington-Beales. Just for info the “Army” models are typically 45cal, while the “Navy” ones are 36cal. Mine has a 7 1/2in barrel with adjustable rear sights and can fire 147gr round balls or 200-220 gr conical bullets. The powder load is 30-40 grains of Triple X. I was able to get mine through Cabela’s. It was used but in great condition. I paid about $450 but it came with a lot of accessories including a holster. For safety purposes it has a slots in the cylinder between the chambers where the hammer can rest so you can load all 6. Unlike the Colt replicas where you should only load 5.

3 Likes

.I am a big fan of cap and ball revolvers. Ruger ROAs are sweet but I have never had the pleasure. I own and shoot a Pietta 1858 NMA, Pietta Colt 1860 Army, Pietta Colt 1851 Navy 36cal, 31cal Colt Pocket Pistol, and a Uberti Walker Colt with a 45 colt cylinder it can shoot cap and 45 Colt It’s a beast the cap and ball cylinder holds 60 grains of FFF per chamber. My favorite is my 51 Navy. My favorite powder is FFF Black Powder. The Pocket is pretty week at least it is cute. They are a lot of fun to shoot.

4 Likes

The so called 1860 Remington is a keeper. It allows you to leave the hammer in a neutral position rather than over a live cap without changing the index position of the cylinder. In other words you do not have to cowboy load it. Its the gun that Clint Eastwood used in Pale Rider when he kept changing and replacing cylinders. Just keep in mind that those were 5 shot Howell conversion cylinders

3 Likes

Thanks for all the replies! Update. I ordered a Uberti 1858 Remington new army for 280 dollars on Midway. Heck of a sale. ordered 1000 caps and a .457 ball mold.

6 Likes

@jobes94
Happy Birthday :v:

2 Likes

@Captainjack88 Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Have fun with it. Black powder is a whole new experience whether just for shooting or for hunting. I’ve taken several deer with my Thompson Center Omega 50cal. Also, just for fun shooting, I have 2 45cal Kentucky pistols, one I built from a kit.

3 Likes

Just remember the best way to clean a C&B black powder gun is believe it or not with hot soapy water and then dry it and oil it… But then again i am so old I actually fought at Gettysburg L

7 Likes

Which side were you on???

5 Likes

Let’s just put it this way. We called it the War of Northern Agression.

7 Likes

Well thank goodness you survived Pickett’s charge @RedClayBlues

2 Likes