M*CARBO Brotherhood

Can't get 40mm thread protector off

Hi I recently bought a 40cal* Keltec Sub2000 and I can’t get the thread protector off. I bought the armorer’s wrench but neither of the thread protectors removers fit over the nut at all. Any ideas?

4 Likes

@diprod put a heat gun to it and loosen up the loctite

6 Likes

Don’t think that’ll help since the armorer’s wrench won’t even fit over it. Should I just buy another wrench?

2 Likes

@diprod ah I didn’t see that part. Strap wrench?

2 Likes

@diprod

I know you mean .40 cal. but I was like “dang, 40mm S2K!” :astonished:

7 Likes

@diprod You might have to exceed the max temp for the adhesive to loosen it…which kind is it?
If you do apply heat…make sure the muzzle is pointed up if you do heat it.

If the thread protector is being replaced, I would put a small vise grip or plumbers wrench on it. Wrap it with a few layers of painters tape first.

Good luck!

6 Likes

@MountainHunter

I agree, I remember using a heat gun to take mine off…and once it got hot enough it threaded right off with no wrench.

4 Likes

Electric heat gun max temp ~ 1,100* F

Propane torch max temp ~ 3,600* F

Blue Loctite thread locker max temp ~ 450*F :fire:

Red Loctite thread locker max temp ~ 450*F :fire:

Flexbar Rocksett Adhesive max temp ~ 2,015* F :fire::fire::fire::fire:

4 Likes

@MountainHunter My electric heat guns highest setting is 1050 degrees and it loosened the adhesive (on my S2K lock nut) which was an off white/light gray color…would that have been Rocksett?

3 Likes

I used a vise and a crescent wrench, did not need to heat up the barrel.
If you are removing the nut from a stock barrel, meaning the nut has not been removed and replaced already you should be fine with a long handled wrench or propane torch.

Congrats on your 40mm S2K, that’s a keeper!

2 Likes

Tape the thread protector to prevent scratches. Now, grab plyers, crescent wrench, vice grip, channel locks or just about anything you can grab it with and lefty loosey that sucker.

If Kel Tec is sending these out with thread locker - it’s news to me. If you ever reinstall it, an o-ring works a treat to keep it from lefty looseying itsownself.

5 Likes

@dave67 Rocksett is clear…not sure if heating changes the color?
1,050*F should not effect it.

:eye: would ask the manufacturer what they used?..and google the issue.

All of mine came with o-rings and just grabbing them with pliers removed the protector nut easily. Protected the finish with a few layers of tape.

2 Likes

@diprod welcome to the forum

2 Likes

I just used a plain old grill lighter to torch my 9mm S2K thread protector. No need to worry about getting a heat gun and the temps and all that jazz. Your nut will get scorched and will smoke due to the open flame, but you can contact KT support and they’ll replace it if it gets messed up. You’ll know if it got hot enough by feeling if the front sight down where it screws onto the barrel is warm because the heat will spread. A plumbing wrench will grab it, but be careful not to chew up your barrel nut, which also will loosen afterwards.

4 Likes

I was twisting the barrel trying to get the protector off our 9mm. Out of frustration, I took a deep 6-point socket and our electric impact wrench and popped it off like it was nothing!

Heat - NO
Strap wrench - NO
Line Wrench - NO
Boxed End Wrench - NO
Boxed End Wrench with a hammer - NO
Impact wrench - Brrp! like it was nothing!!

5 Likes

So @diprod; what happened?

1 Like

I wound up just taking a plumbers wrench to it and getting it undone. Scratched it pretty bad in the process but I don’t care since I’m not using it anyway. Got my muzzle break on it now :100:

7 Likes