Can you ID this please?

Found in the dirt at the range today. Not anything I can recognize. Common?

4 Likes

7.92x33mm Kurz?

6 Likes

@js5660

Is the bullet pushed further down into the casing than it should be?
Is that a groove around the bullet at the top of the casing?

Is one or both just an illusion of perspective angle?

4 Likes

@jeffing65

Yes, looks like the bullet is deeper than normal - also no “shoulder” showing

I don’t see a groove on the bullet - looks like a scratch on the top of the casing from being crimped?

6 Likes

@js5660

That’s what I thought but wasn’t sure.

And the crimp also makes sense.

4 Likes

So that makes me wonder what is “a rimless bottlenecked intermediate rifle cartridge developed in Nazi Germany prior to and during World War II, specifically intended for development of the Sturmgewehr 44” doing at my range? Besides spitting out light primer strikes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44
from wiki on google

3 Likes

@js5660

I gotta ask …

I see two pictures of centerfire cartridges resting on what appear to be a partial box of rimfire.

First pic shows base/headstamp of what appears to be a fired round - primer appears to have been struck.

Second pic appears to be an unfired cartridge suffering from very, very severe bullet set back.

Does the round with setback have the same headstamp as the fired round? Did you pick these up on the range? Can you pull the bullet and hit it with a scale and some calipers?

5 Likes

@Dred

Yes, looks like the primer was struck. The round was on the ground with the bullet unfired - caught my eye. No others nearby. Didn’t look very hard though. And yes, it looked like it was seated different from “normal” rounds.

I don’t have a good way to pull the bullet but I did try to measure it. Shows 7.3mm as close to the case as I can get. The od of the case at the top is 8.3mm. From the base of the case to the bottom of the neck (? correct term idk?) is 33mm.

Looks like OutdoorLimited has them for $23.99 a box. (Only 2 left in stock - better hurry. Lol.) https://www.outdoorlimited.com/rifle-ammo/7-92x33mm-kurz-ammo/prvi-ppu-7-92x33mm-kurz-mauser-ammunition-pp7k-124-grain-full-metal-jacket-20-rounds/?_kx=7VnZTiEAy7q4O8703O8segFGlFf6TSVuUXeJn6wr6aM%3D.SyZBkg

Maybe not as rare as I first thought but who has a StG 44 laying around?

3 Likes

Not as rare as you may think…
STG 44

3 Likes

@Festus

Learn something new everyday!

GSG STG-44 Rifle -Own a piece of german WW2 history. Made available by German Sports Guns. Chambered 22 long rifle. Comes in WW2 period style box. Never before availabe in US. Manufactured as close as original specs as possible. Real wooden furnishings. Available in 10 and 25 round.

And the 10 round mage makes it Cali compatible? :innocent:

3 Likes

Good question. Couldn’t find the other one in 7.92X33 Kurtz, but they’re out there.

3 Likes