M*CARBO Brotherhood

California Magazine Possession and Use Laws

Hello Everyone.

While lurking (looking for remedy for my Sub 2k…) on THIS link, about CA regulations, just above the Featureless rifle, I have read ‘adding a magazine that has over a 10-round capacity is a felony’ This is false.

Than again, under the heading Comply with California Magazine Law I rerad 'In California your magazine capacity is restricted to only 10 rounds which is a total bummer for most gun owners. California Law prohibits the ownership of “high capacity magazines” This again is FALSE.

People who legally posses regular magazines may use them in featureless rifles all day long. Please make that correction in the text stated above so as to not spread misinformation. As it is CA laws are ridiculous enough. Cheers.

https://www.mcarbo.com/is-the-kel-tec-sub-2000-california-legal.aspx

5 Likes

@FredieUSA welcome to the forum fred

2 Likes

Thank you sir! recently picked up a Sub 2000 here in Cali and found myself here.

3 Likes

@FredieUSA Welcome to the Brotherhood. Feel free to post in this thread to say “Hi” to the group and tell a little bit about yourself.

3 Likes

@FredieUSA Welcome aboard. .

3 Likes

@FredieUSA

Welcome to the MCarbo Brotherhood.

3 Likes

@FredieUSA

I’m not sure what misinformation your referring to.
I’m assuming by regular magazines, you mean detachable mags, which can be used in featureless rifles. And that is true.
But it still can’t have a capacity of more than 10 rounds, in California. This applys to any magazine. Fixed or detachable.
The thing is to make it not an assault weapon. Either by being featureless, or by having a fixed magazine.

The trade off is using a detachable mag (of no more than 10 round capacity), with a featureless (not assault) rifle.

Or, to not be classified as an “assault weapon”, using a fixed mag (of no more than 10 round capacity), and then being able to have a folding stock, pistol grip, forward grip, and flash suppressor.

In any case, a mag that holds more than 10 rounds in any weapon, is illegal in California.

I’m not an attorney, nor do I live in California. But that’s how I read the Information Posted, as per current Cal. law.

In California your magazine capacity is restricted to only 10 rounds which is a total bummer for most gun owners. California Law prohibits the ownership of “high capacity magazines” which they define as “any ammunition feeding device with a capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.” This “California Magazine Limit” applies to all firearms in California not just the SUB-2000. Click here for more information on “Assault Weapon” classifications in California.

3 Likes

And then there’s this…News article, NRA-ILA
Court House News Service

2 Likes

@jeffing65 as @festus posted, I was under the impression the hi cap mag ban in California was struck down. People were buying them in droves.

3 Likes

HI Jeffing65.

Regular Mags = Standard capacity mags, like the Glock 17 round standard mag. Yes, they are restricted for sale, trade, import, manufacture etc, but they are totally legal to posses if already owned. I dont think I know any one on the range who does not own normal mags, specially considering so many folks bought regular (17 rounds, 33 rounders etc) this year in April when they were legal to do so.

Bottom line is use them if you own them, in compliance with state laws. When it comes to the Sub2000, Normal mags (what people call Hi-Capacity mags) are OK to use on a featureless rifle.

5 Likes

It was at the end of March, but shortly after the State reappealed it. Now its stuck in courts again. The good part is almost every one stocked up. Many big name vendors went all out and put on special sales (in some cases for CA residents only) offering huge discounts.

6 Likes

@Kona Thanks for the clarification.

@Festus Thanks for that post.:+1:

@FredieUSA It had been my understanding that during the appeal process, standard capacity mags could be possessed but still required modification (if they were going to be used) in order to accept no more than 10 rounds. i.e. a block in the bottom of them for example.

After reading @Festus post I would agree with you. It throws out the new law and states a position of non-enforcement of the high cap. mags… :ok_hand:

4 Likes

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1521332

Best info for Cal is Calguns.net

6 Likes

Welcome Aboard @spoolnaround

6 Likes

@spoolnaround Welcome to the Brotherhood. Don’t forget to go to the First Post Here: Introduce Yourself! thread and say Hi to everybody.

6 Likes