M*CARBO Brotherhood

Bugout/ GHB/ WROL/ SHTF ☠️

Thanks, CatFood. Trying not to worry that any SHTF situation lasts more than a year/life of an insulin pen. Younger son is T1D on a pump, and he is 29 years old. Would like to keep him around for a long time.

How do I DM? (Obviously don’t spend enough time here . . . )

3 Likes

Yeah, the insulin challenge is a tough one for us. Am praying that any pear-shaped situation is of short duration.

I read an article where some guys are trying to develop a “home brew” kit for creating insulin, with a target price of $10K. Of course, then there are still potential supply headaches for whatever raw materials are needed.

Thanks for your help!

3 Likes

For the diabetics in the family, start looking into FENUGREEK. It’s given to women to help ward off post-natal diabetes. It’s a natural supplement pretty easy to find online. Cinnamon is another good one for help control blood sugar levels.

These are obviously not a direct replacement, but proper use can help stretch your insulin supply.

2 Likes

Thanks, thatoneguy! I’ve picked up a couple resources but more are better. Since I plan to shelter in place, the medical concerns I foresee are sprains/breaks (as more of us old, fat guys try to replace an entire infrastructure), wounds (I have access to stuff that city folk don’t and need to keep at least some of it for family), and the usual around-the-house stuff (bug bites, splinters, poison ivy, etc.)

2 Likes

Reality is, insulin has a finite life span. Even if refrigerated it still looses potency though now as quickly as it being non refrigerated.

A few years back we lost power for 3 weeks. We noticed a change in his daily insulin dosing even though we kept it as cold as we could.

Biggest thing is eating healthy and managing their blood sugar by correctly eating the right foods. We changed the way my dad eats 2 years ago, it made a huge difference. Also DON’T forget glucose tablets, sugar cubes, orange juice, sugery soda.

@Nomad733 click on the user name or users icon and then click send message.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty confident we can get by on most everything but insulin. Praying a lot about that one.

Hard candy in individual wrappers is on the shopping list. Gonna stock a few pounds for our own needs, plus trading - Oregon Trail video game for the win!

2 Likes

If I’ve overlooked advice/input from anyone, I do apologize. Same if my responses are inefficient. Hopefully addressing everything from everyone.

Oh, and will be trying to stock dip and chewing tobacco. Don’t indulge myself, but know folks do. Need to check our the shelf life of those products . . .

2 Likes

Dip, snus and the like don’t keep too well (experience there :face_vomiting:). The best for tobacco for barter is to get some Bugler brand roll-your-own tobacco and vacuum seal and throw in the freezer if you have the space. Left out, it will eventually turn to dust and then you have snuff to trade.

Bad for diabetics, but remember to get the mini-bar sized bottles of alcohol for trade and medical uses.

3 Likes

Sorry, guys. My wife says I have CDO which is OCD in its proper alphabetical order. Other things I’m stocking: Cheap pocket knives with magnesium bars from Harbor Freight for fire starting. Bottles of rubbing alcohol (various strengths), alcohol wipes, gauze/cloth bandages. (Have read some sources that claim medical people run out of alcohol/bandages first in a mass-casualty event.) Fresh set of manual tools including coffee grinder, French press, seed grinder, extra axes/hatchets/saws, etc.) Want to find a “treadle wheel grinder” for sharpening tools. Need to buy feminine hygiene products, condoms, soap, and so on.

I spend 8 - 10 hours a day using Excel. Used to do my family’s Christmas lists in Excel. If I get a list together over the next few months, I will try to post it here. Additions/ideas will be welcomed!

4 Likes

Good stuff - thanks!

I’m buying all sizes of liquor - from airplane bottles to large bottles (fifths?). As I mentioned to someone (repeating myself already), in my home state of Pennsylvania the state/ABC stores are experiencing shortages. I’m hitting the local ABC store for about $50 worth of whisky and vodka a week. That’s getting me a couple fifths/pints and a handful of airplane bottles. I know nothing about drinking alcohol but am operating on the “First cup of coffee doesn’t have to taste good - it just has to work.” principle. Hopefully my trading partners are content with my choices . . .

4 Likes

You should also look into potassium permaganate.
Multiple uses and long shelf life (much longer than chlorine or sodium hypo.) when properly stored.

As with any chemical, be careful, do your research first before deciding to go that route. Sorry for the preach….I work in a lab.

4 Likes

Appreciate the knowledge sharing, Thatoneguy!

3 Likes

Bro. Just get snipped now. One less thing to pack

5 Likes

Regret having but one rec . . . .

Trading material, Stir. It’s a SHTF situation - you think folks want to be pregnant during a time like that?

5 Likes

Well, your still packin’, just shooting blanks :rofl:

4 Likes