M*CARBO Brotherhood

Budget Sights and Scopes

I truly love my Holosun 503GU Circle Dot but the cost for it and similar sights approaches $300. In contrast, the Bushnell TRS-25 is a great optic at a price of around $70 and you can get a Romeo 5 for just over $100. Unfortunately, neither of the latter has the circle dot reticle I prefer.

When you move into scopes, the sky is the limit when it comes to cost. But there are less expensive alternatives if one can accept some compromises. For example, I recently purchased a Feyachi Falcon 1-4x24 illuminated scope at a cost of $90. While a bit on the heavy side, the glass is crisp, the eye box and relief are forgiving and it has my preferred circle dot reticle.

Please share your suggestions for other sights and optics that will not break the bank. Here is a link to the scope referenced above.

7 Likes

Hope the Feyachi works out for you. I have had good luck and bad luck with their products but have not tried any of their optics.

4 Likes

Wish I could add my budget Monstrums and UTGs to your list. I cannot. Their glass is crap and they currently sit high on the list of optics I’ll replace.

The glass is good enough to shoot accurately. But it is far from good enough to shoot comfortably. To be fair, I gotta share how these determinations were made. When I can use a scope for an extended amount of time, it is better. The faster eye spasms set in, the more the glass sucks.

So, I can use cheap glass to hit an identified target. But, it is wholly inadequate if I’m gonna hold on target and wait on the target to present properly.

Best glass I own is a screaming value: waiting on Hawke scope number 2 (could be 2&3 actually since Optic’s planet is taking their time cancelling an order they sat on for two weeks plus).

Second best is the Vortex Strike Eagle line (Vortex’s budget lineup is very decent).

Reflex wise, I’ve learned that Holosun will meet my quality and feature set expectations at a price point that is substantially budget friendlier than Aimpoint, Trijicon or Eotech (not reflex but betterer).

That said, I am very close to taking a dip with the foxes in the swamp. I have watched a bunch of reviews of Swampfox offerings and my interest is officially peaked.

4 Likes

Got a Sight mark circle dot on a ar40 pistol, holding up well. Brothers AR40 pistol good also. Multiple reticals
two color green or red.
Another guy runs one on a 308, always on zero.
R spec.

7 Likes

I’ve enjoyed running these very cheap Firefield Impulse 1x22 red dots on my rimfires.

They have held up well and stay zeroed. Not sure how they would fair on hard recoil rifles.
I love the Circle Dot sights as well. And these have a pretty good one. Plenty bright enough.

I think their reflex sights are crap, according to reviews I’ve read. But these red dots are okay.

5 Likes

Thanks. At that price point I will probably give one a try. Post like yours are why I started this thread.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. Any issues with the emitter or lense accumulating shot residue?

3 Likes

No, and ar40s run dirty and throw crap everywhere.
Sorry, accidently hit the flag button, so I guess you are now flagged!

2 Likes

I want to second the SightMark R-spec. I bought one for an ar build and turned out liking it as much if not more than my Eotech. The sightmark was $129 opposed to the eotech I bought with the last stimulus check. The Eotech is real nice with the parallax viewing but if I’m not mistaken, the sightmark is similar. I also like the option to go from red donut of death to a green one on the sightmark. I’m liking it better than all of my Sig Romeo red dots. I may just upgrade all my AR’s to the sightmark.

3 Likes

Thanks @Beezer. What have you run it on and how long?

2 Likes

I’ve shot about 1,500 rounds of 5.56 with the sightmark and about 3,000 rounds of 9mm. It has held zero switching between the two uppers. I ordered a 9mm belt fed upper and when that arrived, I plan on putting it on there. I will let you know in a few weeks when it arrived how it holds up

3 Likes

So I ordered one of the Firefield Impulse 1 x 22 sights and it just arrived. Unfortunately, there is a “ghost” reticle that appears at all brightness settings in both red and green mode. I assume that is NOT normal and have sent an email to support at Firefield.
@ValorSolo please share your thoughts. Is this a defect or something integral to the sight?

2 Likes

I bought a nice looking Firefield from Academy a few years ago. Yanked it and gave it to gf’s son. No ghost reticle, but I couldn’t make the glass work for me.

3 Likes

The two I have and the one I gave to a friend are clear.
No ghosting. Pretty decent for the price.

2 Likes

Any suggestions for a decent 3x magnifier to coexist with my Sig Romeo5 on my AR15? Looking for one with a flip mount. Thanks!

3 Likes

find a used G30 or G33 EO Tech. sure they are cheaper ones, but their flip to side base on tha G33 is solid.

5 Likes

Agreed. Sold the sight. Kept the magnifier. G33 is excellent. Price makes me twitch. But used market is worth a search.

2 Likes

I’m running the vortex 3x on one of my setups, flip works good, good eye relief. Solid optic. Set it up to flip right or left your preference.

4 Likes

I was going to put a Sig Romeo 5 red dot on my S2K but then I saw a Feyachi model 22 for less then half the price. Read some pretty good comments on this red dot.

3 Likes

Get to a certain price point and you get junk. Sightmark is just above that break, but if you go to cabelas and spend 60 bucks on optics, pretty much crap.
(IMAO)

4 Likes