Broken Charging Handle

@JoeFridaySays, that idea would work yoo, but adds more springs and complex movements. I do like the CH having a pin to engage the bolt.

The one I drew up uses 2 slots on right or left of the s2k tube. The mechanism doesn’t have any pins springs or anything besides the solid CH and the j hook thing. It would use a pin with the recoil spring perch cut into it. It would have a bolt hold notch at the rear of the sleeve. There would be a detent in the front and a matching dimple in the CH to lock it forward so it doesn’t flop around. I honestly don’t think the cnc work would be to complicated it’s all straight cuts and holes. I’ll draw up some better pics on paper and not on my crummy phone.

BTW @Johnksg found what blew up/melted the microwave! Blown thyresistor, which took out some resistors and a small fire. But got new microwave installed and all good!

3 Likes

@CatFood glad it wasn’t worse!

2 Likes

@CatFood and @JoeFridaySays one question…are we sold on the current location for the charging handle?

2 Likes

Last question first. I think a slot similar to what exists would hold it by pressure/friction (but not in same orientation obviously) because the answer to the other question is reversed. The spring default is disengaged - the green position. As you move to charge and your finger contacts the handle that pressure automatically rotates the handle into the engaged position (blue) ready to pull back and charge. Once released, it returns by spring hinge to the green position disengaging from the bolt and also returns via channel spring to the front position. Note a channel spring is probably not needed as you can let the bolt carry it back to that position but you need something to hold it there which is why I put the spring. Otherwise you just need a leaf or other simple hinge spring.

2 Likes

@JoeFridaySays, is there anything that would lock or prevent a premature bolt release or short charge halfway through pulling back the ch?

@CatFood No and that concerned me until I realized that was true of the OEM charging handle as well. I just realized that unedited response could sound flip. The natural act of gripping and pulling makes it unlikely that it would slip out of the hole if that is what you are asking but it is possible. Is it any more likely than the OEM handle slipping from one’s grasp? I don’t know.

1 Like

@Johnksg I don’t particularly like it but do not think a redesign is in the cards unless MCarbo or someone else decides to build an all aluminum grip/receiver. It might be considered as part of that…or the regulatory part might be considered too great an obstacle given the warm welcome such a grip alone would likely receive.

2 Likes

@JoeFridaySays well if that is the case, and you bring up a good point, why not just take a KT heavy counterweight, drill a hole entirely through the handle for the spring to mount a wedge shaped charging handle?

Sort of what you guys have pictured but the CH pulls out of the locking lug.

1 Like

Here is a much better sketch of what I was thinking. Nothing to scale of course lol.

3 Likes

@CatFood I think I can see where you are going with your design. :+1:

My question would be the cost of manufacture and the difficulty level of an average shooter to make these changes DIY?

Maybe the simplest solution would be a 2FCH that simply folds the eliminating the high CG problem?

2 Likes

Not to change the subject but has anyone seen reports of the SCH breaking? I am thinking of swapping out my RCH since I am not liking the excess wear it is causing on my bolt group.

2 Likes

Sch? Stock charging handle?

1 Like

Skelotonized charging handle

2 Likes

This is probably a stupid question because I know nothing about carbines but is it possible to have the bolt lock back when the magazine is empty like the slide lock back on a handgun?

3 Likes

@Scooter not a stupid question at all!

Just not mechanically feasible on a blowback without a whole lot of expensive German engineering that will cost major $$. :blush:

1 Like

Here’s a pic of where my Twisted Industries CH broke.

ies CH broke.

1 Like

Absolutely possible e.g. Ruger PC9. But the Sub 2k requires a redesign to accomplish this feat. It’s really the only feature that could move me to a Gen 3 design. But, moving the charging handle from the bolt extension to the side of the bolt would not upset me. FWIW, Mr. Cuddles gave you the right answer I just like leaving easter eggs for KT’s product development team. So, I’ll add that their other paths to my pocket involve 10mm, 45ACP and grip halves robust enough to accommodate single stack 1911 magazines.

4 Likes

@Dred I really think the answer is an MCARBO receiver to address all of those issues without it being “stop gap” fixes.

Just my 2-cents.

1 Like

@Johnksg re Breakage of Skeletonized CH

I have not heard reports of breakage, but if the stem thickness, the thickness where it mates with the body of the handle and the overall metallurgy are comparable to the other CHs the Gods of physics should be in your favor.

The recoilless and skeletonized appear to be about the same height so leverage considerations should be about the same with only weight and its points of concentration impacting the center of gravity and momentum/mass as they affect the probability of breakage. The stem cut spring interface on the recoilless is slightly different, supposedly to increase strength. I could not find an actual weight for the skeletonized, but assume it is somewhere between the OEM 1 oz and the 3.2 oz of the recoilless.

1 Like

@CatFood @Johnksg

This may be a little “out there” but I think we are overlooking the fact that a lot of the stress on the CH when it reciprocates comes from the play that results because it actually rides very loosely in the channel and bolt slot. And as we know most of that stress is concentrated right there on the thin neck of the CH where it exits the bolt.

What if you tightened the tolerance by shaping the top of the CH to match the circumference of the bolt tube and drew it in very tight so it rode snugly along the bottom of the bolt tube as it reciprocated and removed a lot of that play? That would require bonding a Delrin or similar surface to the CH where it rides along the bolt tube and where it enters the bolt to reduce friction and wear as shown by the red in the diagram below. But it would remove much of the play that is stressing the CH and causing fractures.

A side benefit is that the CH would then become unidirectional and could be any shape you want. It would no longer have to be round.

It should still lock back as the shaft remains in the same position and orientation and the modification does not prevent lateral movement. And one obvious question is whether the recoil spring is capable of holding it that snugly.Again, there are probably lots of reasons this wouldn’t work, but spitballing ideas can’t hurt.

Conforming%20CH%20with%20Reduced%20Play

3 Likes