Broken Charging Handle

@Don68 I just got a DFCH a few days ago with the new locking pin :+1:t2:

4 Likes

@Kona Thanks Logan.:grinning:

4 Likes

Don, I will do that and post photos also

4 Likes

Kona that red dot works great, thank you for suggesting it.

6 Likes

@km55 I have a thing for Atibal haha

8 Likes

I can understand why. It’s a good red dot

6 Likes

MCARBO has already sent my replacement charging handle, should be here in a couple of days.

8 Likes

@KM55 let me know what you think of it. So far I am not digging it. Need to carry a tube of PTFE with me when I go to range just to field strip?

We need one of our “mad scientists” to figure a way to mount it on the end of the spring! :grin::+1:

3 Likes

Johnksg, I received the tfch today. It looks like a better design, but what is the hole in it for?

4 Likes

@km55 it should have come with a locking pin to put in the hole.

4 Likes

@KM55 @Kona yup Logan’s right you should have received a little pinned button in a separate package. (Mine were stapled together).

I found that without locking pin it will hold but there is a lot of slop. Putting it in is a major pain (watch Chris’ video) and pretty much negates a quick range fix.

4 Likes

Gonna see if I can epoxy that pin to the damn spring. If it holds it should solve the problem!

5 Likes

Kona, I will check the package again to see if it is there.

5 Likes

Thank you, I will check it out

5 Likes

I did a test today using ten (10) then twenty (20) small round rare earth magnets connected to form a cylinder to see if they would magnetize the spring enough from the butt end to hold the locking pin at the other. It would have been a beautifully simple solution - if it had worked. Unfortunately, the magnets I tried were not strong enough. Now if you found some stronger magnets…

Of course, I don’t know the metallurgy of the spring or how well it will conduct the magnetic field to begin with.

5 Likes

depends on the iron content of the spring. most carbon steels magnetize well
stainless doesn’t for the most part, except for some of the lower grades of stainless. we will call them, stain resistant. I laugh every time i see someone that paid high dollar for stainless appliances, like refrigerators. and they stick refrigerator magnets to it.:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp: good grade of stainless, they wont stick. of course , applies to rust as well, if can stick a magnet to it, it will rust…

5 Likes

anyone got a cutaway picture of the handle with the pin and spring in place.?

3 Likes

@GOBLIN just look at the video bro. I am thinking some JB weld on that sucker. No way I am going through that mess every time I clean the weapon.

Why didn’t they just build Brian’s design? …sigh

6 Likes

handle goes in from the bottom, pin/slot screw head goes in from the back if you epoxy it in place, it will stay but you cannot remove the handle, nor the bolt, cause you cannot get the handle out… pin wont come out then…
https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/jobsite-accessories/magnetizer-demagnetizer

get you one of these , hang it on your range bag, carry a long enough flat head, magnetize it then after yer done de-magnetize the screw stick, or you can simply grind a flat on a piece of carbon steel rod, saves space in the bag that way,

4 Likes

@GOBLIN Hey Buck, I’m not a rocket scientist and need some info here. Can the pin that’s made of 300 SS be magnetized?:thinking:

3 Likes