Broken Charging Handle

I post on the Sub2K forum occasionally. This is the first I have heard of the handle breaking. I have on hand haven’t installed it yet. It has been over a year since I have had it out to the range.

2 Likes

This just happened to me last time I went shooting, haven’t called mcarbo yet

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. I’m replacing mine with the recoiless. Everyone has said it’s much stronger

2 Likes

I also have had the double finger charging handle snap off, while I was on the firing range. If you look close to the break when it was machined it was under cut which reduced the size of the diameter & the heat treating was not done properly as when you look at the break the steel has crystallized making it brittle. If you look at the heavier handle the shaft is designed differently thicker. If this happens again I will make my own double finger bigger around & partial skeletonized to keep the weight down with a hardness around 60.

3 Likes

The recoiless charging handle is heavy duty. Even though it is still one finger the larger diameter more than makes up for that. It is easy to chamber a round and I think it looks alot better than the skinny two finger.

3 Likes

Looks like a bunch are breaking. And no response from MCarbo? Come on Chris what’s the plan?

1 Like

Still no response on their own forum?

1 Like

1500+ rounds on the stock charging handle. I think I’ll stick with that. I should probably buy a back-up one, though. LOL

3 Likes

https://www.keltecweapons.com/s2k-144-operating-handle-303

2 Likes

@BobListy After the stuff I’ve been through with some of their pistols? Believe me, I know where to find Kel-Tec parts. :rofl:

2 Likes

@Wedge LOL I hear ya (finally figured out how to reply with name tag)

2 Likes

@BobListy Yeah, the “reply” button is supposed to show to whom you are replying, but it only works about 50% of the time for me. In fact, I clicked on it to reply to you and it didn’t work again here. Using the @ symbol works every time.

4 Likes

@Wedge it’s never worked for me, I finally noticed the @

3 Likes

@Wedge How do you still have a finger after 1500 rounds with the STOCK charging handle?..:point_right:OUCH! That stock Kel-Tec charging handle, AT LEAST TO ME, is the absolute worst part on the Sub-2000 and I bet keeps alot of possible buyers from even purchasing the Sub…not knowing that they can upgrade it to something more comfortable. The charging handle location is already in an awkward position.

3 Likes

Strong fingers, I guess? LOL I do have the rubber slip on cover that makes the diameter much larger and more comfortable. It’s just never really been a problem for me.

1 Like

@Wedge Ok, with the cover that would help…I feel better now.

1 Like

@chrisnelson man I have the worst luck. This is my second 2 finger CH that’s broke. About the 15th round today it sheared off and went flying into the berm never to be seen again. This was the second gen stronger material CH. I’d say maybe 4000+ rounds on it.

4 Likes

@Kona From the picture it looks like a bad casting, air bubbles in it ? I wonder if these are machined steel or metal injection molded?

2 Likes

:frowning: I replaced with the recoilless. SO far so good. Seems stronger

5 Likes

Eh I guess I got my money’s worth out of it. Gonna throw the OEM back in and order the recoilless.

4 Likes