M*CARBO Brotherhood

Bolt Tube Cover And Factory Sight

For you guys that put a bolt cover on and used the factory sight; Can you get down on the tube far enough to use the factory receiver peep? I can barely get down tight enough to use it without any cover. My cheek bone is sore and I have a slight purple spot where the metal tube popped me on every round of the 300 I fired last Sunday. I need to do something and need to know if the tube cover impedes folks from getting low enough to use the FACTORY sight. I know that MCARBO has a higher sight option, just asking how the cover works for you w/factory sight.
Thanks

3 Likes

It’s going to be dependent on a person’s build, but I was able to use the factory sights just fine with a bolt tube cover. The MCARBO rear sight was icing on the cake with being able to get a slightly higher sight picture.

2 Likes

No issues using the bolt tube cover along with MCARBO folding tactical sight.:+1:

2 Likes

I also have no issue with cover and factory sight.

2 Likes

@TinMan2 The bolt tube cover is thin enough that there is no real difference in the cheek weld. It is a little more comfortable to use and should stop you from getting any more “purple spots”.

2 Likes

Has anyone experienced any rusting issues on the recoil tube under the tube cover? I’ve read about that being a thing. I’ve had mine off a couple of times when opening it up to install upgrades and haven’t seen anything on mine. But, I am in Utah which isn’t exactly a high humidity state and mine is not even a year old.

1 Like

@Wedge I’m right on the beach where every thing seems to rust. I’ve had the bolt tube cover on since November of last year, so far no rust. But I did use some auto wax under it when I installed it.

1 Like

That’s a great idea. Any issues with getting the mounting tape to hold position with the wax? I use a thin rubbery double sided 3M tape that I cut into strips and really get mine stuck down.

1 Like

@wedge I never thought of using a mounting tape. So far it has not moved. As for the wax, I did not buff it to a shine, so that might be what is giving it a good grip and not sliding around. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Interesting. With the tape I use, the shinier and more non-porous the surface is, the better.

1 Like

@Wedge The good thing about trying the wax is that if you don’t like it you can take it off with a little warm water a dish soap.

1 Like

@TinMan2 The MCARBO bolt tube cover is not thick enough to make a difference in height, in fact it is more comfortable than the bare tube allowing you to really push your cheek into it.

2 Likes

@Wedge If you are going to use wax then I would use this product. A local knife maker told me to use it on my damascus knife blades and also museums use it for protecting their antique firearms.

3 Likes

@dave67 I did some reading after you posted, mixed reviews but probably worth a try. Thanks for telling us about it.

2 Likes

OK folks, thank you for all the answers. Got the info I needed…Regards

1 Like

The mention of corrosion had me thinking. If you were in a continuous, high salt environment, would it be effective or of any value to use a small zinc anode like is done on boats, outboards, etc. to keep the corrosion from attacking the aluminum.

1 Like

@jeffing65 I think that your idea would only work if the gun or whatever you want to protect is submerged in the water or dirt constantly . It won’t work in high humidity . I have a lot of metal things around the house that are made of two or more types of metal and they still corrode. none of them act as anodes. Magnesium, aluminum and zinc are the best to use as anodes. That’s all I remember from my days as a sailor. I just put on good car wax and it seems to last for about 2 years on a brass bell i have as a door bell. Sorry for this being off topic. I’m easily distracted. :cry:

3 Likes

Your right, it would need the water as a conductor for the reaction to occur. I thought about the other thing of steel not being reactive with the zinc,mag. etc. because its a ferrous metal. Could always have it Parkerized or something i guess.
I myself would have to go with a nice purdy, black nickel plating. LOL

3 Likes

I am in the same boat. With the cover The factory peep sight is useless. I have ordered the new open top sight and it shows promise, however that puts the front sight lower and needs to be raised. I am in the process of exchanging my Gen 1 for a Gen 2 that will let me play with the front sight. I will post when and if that works out.

2 Likes

Good Deal Diver. Let me know how everything works out…Or Not.
Regards Sgt Mike

1 Like