Bolt Tube Cleaning

Hi Guys. I am new to the Sub 2000. How do you folks clean the inside of the bolt tube? It appears to get pretty dirty. Too bad there is no specialized cleaning kit. Thanks.

4 Likes

@suda01952 Welcome to the Brotherhood Dave. I just use a 12ga. bore brush with a paper towel wrapped around it soaked in my bore cleaner. A couple of passes wet then some dry towels to finish. I use a 12ga. bore mop with lube to finish up.

5 Likes

Thanks Don!

Get organized with Yahoo Mail

3 Likes

@suda01952

Welcome to the M*CARBO Brotherhood, David and enjoy your Sub2000 firearm! We are here to first promote firearm safety first and foremost! There are many variables that sometimes make it almost impossible any level of experience shooter to meander through the internet without receiving some type of answer (whether it being ‘number of rounds’ or ‘what method’ one should use to get the best results!!!) Are you a target, a hunter, defensive conscientious,Plinker, or so forth? You will get many wonderful opinions from our brotherhood and possibly some outrageous upgrade ideas, for sure! :+1:

I do not own a Sub2000 myself so I cannot give you specific advice for this particular firearm, however, I had built and serviced a few of my own firearms…:joy: We all love and share our firearms experiences, I enjoy helping others by sharing my experiences and hopefully keeping others from making certain costly mistakes that I have made! As far as brushes, you are cleaning, you won’t need to handle any specialized cleaning kits that may be too abrasive for the barrel. You are cleaning towards the travel of the bullet. A bore snake has always been a favorite choice of mine (just ‘my’ humble opinion.) I do not like cleaning rods because I feel they are less forgiving and can adversely cause one to gouge the bore. That is a chance that I am unwilling to take! If you feel there is too much carbon build up in the bolt tube and you ran a number of rounds through your ‘toy,’ during a fun-filled day of target practice, it is probably time for a ‘spit and polish,’ which I personally call a basic field cleaning… I save my deeper cleaning when I am storing my guns for a season or addressing upgrades where I inspect parts for wear and make decisions of upgrade or part replacement. I hope that clarifies a clear understanding for you? Firearms are a wonderful hobby and a great way to share common interest and meet new friends… Happy and safe shooting! Blessings to you and yours.

2 Likes

Lonewolf,

Thanks for the response. I am looking forward to being part of the brotherhood and learning many things about this particular firearm. Most of my guns are S&W pistols, revolvers and rifles. This is my first Kel Tec.

Dave

5 Likes

@suda01952,
I do the exact same thing @Don68 does.

One of these days I’m gonna get by a pet store and buy a brush similar to a bottle brush used for cleaning fish tank filter tubes. It’s a little over 1" in diameter and longer than a standard bottle brush. Should be perfect for the S2K bolt tube.

6 Likes

@suda01952

Dave, you are quite welcome. I am looking forward to all of your ‘trials and tribulation’ as well… I have a few more builds on my plate. I am getting ready to build a Custom 10/22 for my wife. I have a few more parts that I need to be ordered to complete the build. It will be a Christmas present, I plan to assemble the firearm before the summer. It will be broken down and reboxed for the Christmas holiday, In fact, I am really surprised at her excitement and her enthusiasm to actually get involved with the ‘hands on’ build of it…How exciting is that??? Big smiles!

3 Likes

Thanks Mike. Looks like I’ll be buying a 12 he bore brush.

Dave

6 Likes

That’s so great that your wife is a shooter as well. My wife strongly supports my firearm hobby (aka addiction):smile: but she does not shoot. Maybe someday I will get her to the range. Be well.

Dave

6 Likes

@suda01952

Dave, I am so proud of my wife… She actually is the VETERAN of our family. I have been diagnosed with diabetes and first found out shortly before I had tested to join. My father shared a ‘few’ of his military experiences. He had never left the states, but he was an Army Engineer that built missiles during Viet Nam. He reminded me that when I wasn’t sitting on his knee listening to his awesome stories that I was taking apart door knobs and chanting my understanding of airplanes at the age of 3. I had a desire to join the Air Force and be a pilot that never was to be realized due to my health challenges. My father co-owned two martial arts schools that were quite successful that I had the privilege to teach, but was never able to ‘harness the strength’ to pass the military physical to fulfill my dreams! I had to live my experiences through my wife and others ‘eyes!’ Maybe some day I can save a little extra money and take a few flying lessons???

3 Likes

welcome david @suda01952

3 Likes

never thought of that don i know i didnt ask the question but im going to try that out @Don68

3 Likes

goodluck with that i hope you fullfill that dream as far as i can tell its only money thats holding you back like most of us we can only afford so much and hope we can achive as much as possible @lonewolf

2 Likes

@hunter1916

That and proper prayer! My smoke out to you and yours (burning sage, sweetgrass, osha root and cedar…) These ‘medicines’ are representation of the four cardinal directions, brother! They are very sweet in smelling, big smiles!

2 Likes

@hunter1916

I hear that some will soak their barrels with pb blast and turn their rifles ‘upside down’ and let the agent do its work for a few days before running a wipe behind it, working its way through the lands and grooves before storing rifle for any time.

2 Likes

whats pb blast @lonewolf

2 Likes

@hunter1916

Sorry, my ‘automotive side’ of my brain took over my thoughts! I meant ‘break free’ CLP (cleaner, lubricant, and preservative) spray… Big smiles! Mybadd…

2 Likes

@Don68 What a great Idea on the Fish Tank Brush’:+1: I took my Girl Friends
Bottle Brush, She was not pleased with Me.:rage:
The above work’s well for me,the bore brush and mop.:sunglasses:

6 Likes

@hunter1916 Rust Penetrant, ‘‘For Rusty, Crusty, Frozen,Broken, Nuts and Bolts’’ :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: My Sick Automotive Mind of 45 years,living and working in SE AK. Good stuff.

3 Likes

@suda01952 Welcome to the Brotherhood! @lonewolf@Don68@Texprep A idea I Thought about for cleaning of the Tube is a Fine Ball Type Wheel Cylinder Hone?? Gently Used !:thinking:

4 Likes