M*CARBO Brotherhood

Bolt Stuck In The Forward Position

Ok
I Installed the new trigger bar last night, went to the range to try it out after maybe 15-20 rounds the bolt stayed in the forward position and won’t budge.
Any suggestions on how to get it unstuck?
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

live round or expended round in chamber?

1 Like

I’m worried it’s live, it won’t fold up, but not sure.

1 Like

@Jdog Jared if it won’t fold up the round is not all the way in or out of the chamber. I would take the grips apart to remove the barrel and punch it out with a cleaning rod or wood dowel rod. Are you using steel or aluminum cased rounds? Also make sure your upper feedramp or the ejector was not put in backwards.

2 Likes

It’s steel casing using up old Wolf ammo. I’ll try your suggestion.

1 Like

Steel casing stuck, wooden dowel down barrel and a rubber mallet pushed the bolt back. Thanks

1 Like

Dry fires fine, no other issues. I’m going to blame the steel casing.

1 Like

@Jdog Visually check the extractor for any damage.

1 Like

Just looks dirty?

2 Likes

Bolt looks ok but take a look at the extractor for any damage. (The little shark fin) inside the chamber, and stay away from the steel cased ammo!

4 Likes

you pushed against a live round with a dowl???.. anyway. lot of the steel cased stuff has lacquer on it, as the gun gets hot, lacquer sometimes adheres to the chamber. also the original feed-ramp is poly, cHecK it for scrapes and dings, and change it to the stainless MCARBO UNIT. also check the chamber for nicks/scrapes/fouling.

3 Likes

I hate to admit it the sub doesn’t do well with steel case ammo. First gun I have owned that has had an issue with steel or aluminum. I was having light primer strikes with both. Went to Brass and shot over 90. Rounds no issues.

2 Likes

The problems steel cased ammo causes is not worth the savings in ammo price. If your shooting an AK or SKS, go ahead and use it. The tolerances in those chambers are so sloppy (loose) it probably won’t hurt. Most other firearms, especially rifles, are made to tighter tolerance and the lacquer coating on steel case ammo will build up in the chamber causing ammo to get stuck. Sticking cases also causes extractors to flare out and not properly extract cases. I have changed lots of extractors and reamed lots of chambers for people who have used lots of steel cased ammo. If you really need to save on ammo and use steel cased stuff I would recommend 1st, the zinc coated and second, the poly coated. DO NOT USE lacquer coated though.

3 Likes

I’ve shot steel case through mine a lot. 1,000 + No problems. It really depends on how you fire steel case ammo. If you are slow, meticulous and spend minutes between shots, you will have problems. I also run a bore snake through mine. Try to do it when it warm.

1 Like

I’ve put about 100 rounds of steel through mine, it was left overs from my hi point, the hi point will eat up anything that you can throw in it, but getting back to the point, the only issue I had with steel in my s2k is that 1 round tumbled while feeding, I can’t really blame the s2k for that at all since it fired and ejected every round just fine, I have my oops kit set up in case I break my extractor or firing pin…

2 Likes

Keltec does not recommend the use of steel casing ammo and using it will void their warranty …

1 Like

I’ve not heard of Kel Tec refusing a warranty claim on this ground. Brass, steel and aluminum have different properties. We’ve been using brass for many years because its properties are best suited for modern cartridges. Brass is easier on the firearm 'cause it is softer, self lubricating and springy. Neither steel or aluminum check all thre of the boxes.

I don’t believe the alternatives void your warranty, but if you call KT to complain about performance issues with steel or aluminum ammo - they’ll tell you to use brass ammo.

2 Likes

I’ve not heard about a warranty issue with Kel Tec and using steel cased ammo. I’ve had an issue with a PSA firearm. When I called to get service, they ask what kind of ammo I was running and I indicated various. They “suggested” using only brass but they also indicated that may be less likely due to the cheaper cost of aluminum and steel. They indicated brass preforms the best in most firearms. I also run re-manufactured brass ammo from Freedom. Had an issue and contact support. “Return all the unused product and we will refund or provide new ammo” was the solution to the problem.

1 Like