M*CARBO Brotherhood

Bolt action AR-15? Anyone? Bueller?

I hear ya. I can’t say as I know much of the AR-10 though I did a little research into them recently given they’re not a firearm risking ban in Maryland at the moment. I thought it somewhat strange that the AR-10 format lacks the standardization of the AR-15, everyone seems to be doing their own thing in design. That lack of interchangeability probably hurts the AR-10 in that companies might be less likely do develop parts for them as the market would be limited.

5 Likes

@chilipepper I don’t mind building ARs from scratch but lately I’ve just been buying Aero uppers and lowers and slapping them together. Same with AR10. For the upper, lower, bolt, CH, I’ll have about $1,045 in it.

5 Likes

Or install a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. Bleeds off out the front.
Turn it off for straight pull, on for semi. There are cheaper ones too.

4 Likes

Would this work with an A2 front post? I’m thinking not. While I understand how an AR-15 gas system works I haven’t done any work on that part of mine.

5 Likes

I’m thinking that I’ve seen an adjustable FSB, but can’t remember where.
I’ll see if one pops up. Yep, here it is.

4 Likes

Or use this with your current set up.

4 Likes

I see complaints about the BCA handles coming loose.
Nord-Lock washers are approved as an alternative for safety wire in aircraft. I use them on everything “important” on my race car. https://www.mcmaster.com/nord-lock-washers

I’m planning a ambi BCA with no gas for the silenced 300 blackout build. Probably February after the can and stamp in January.

2 Likes

@MrBill Welcome aboard.

3 Likes

@MrBill Welcome to the Brotherhood

4 Likes

Yep, I’ve seen them as well and I suspect most of those issue are people using as a charging handle in semi-auto, this would be a no-gas straight pull bolt action application, fully manual like what you’re planning. Plus, a little VC3 goes a long way, I have to wonder how many of these people are using some form of thread locker. Those lock washers would probably do the job as well, gotta love McMaster-Carr.

Oh, and welcome to the Brotherhood. Since you mentioned race car, we have this thread for your delectation…

EDIT: I was looking at doing the ambi as well, I prefer the left side charge, right side eject…but since this upper won’t allow for Magpul’s BAD lever for activating the bolt hold open from the trigger finger/right side, I’m wondering how convenient that might be. Then again, the number of times you might do that relative to actually cycling rounds might just make the point moot. I think the worst part with the BCA stuff is managing to grab it when it’s in stock and at a decent price (though it would appear their uppers appear elsewhere under other names at higher prices, so probably still a good deal getting it from BCA).

3 Likes

does the bad lever cut time or is it a gimmick that gets in tha way Dave
ive looked at em…

3 Likes

I was worried myself at first, but I took the plunge and I quite like it now, even got one for the Tippmann M4-22. I pull the charge handle with my left index finger and flick the BAD with my right index (trigger) finger to hold the bolt open, then just flick the BAD with my right index when I want to let the bolt fly home/chamber a round. Can’t say if it’s a huge time saver but it’s more intuitive and ergonomic in my mind. Here’s a quick clip I made illustrating its use…

The issue with the BCA side charge upper is that the walls of the upper have been fattened and, while they machined a recess for the standard AR-15 ping pong paddle, it isn’t large enough to allow for attachment of the Magpul BAD. Some other side charge receivers do allow for it and Bear Creek easily could as well with a slight adjustment to their machining…
side_charge_uppers

4 Likes

@chilipepper boom

6 Likes

Imo gimmick and manipulating stuff inside the trigger guard to do stuff other than firing the weapon isnt imo the greatest idea from a safety perspective

4 Likes

Love it till you need to wear winter Gloves, then Not so much.

I just don’t use that lower in the winter.

1 Like

What is this “winter” of which you speak?

1 Like

snow deer

2 Likes

That’s some deep sand right there! That is sand…right?!

Very Cold Wet “Sand” that melts in spring.

1 Like