M*CARBO Brotherhood

Bolt action AR-15? Anyone? Bueller?

I like the AR-15 format for many reasons, standardization and interchangeability of parts, literal $h!t-ton of parts and options available, simple construction which leads to ease of cleaning/maintenance, etc. I feel like there might be some merit in an AR-15 format bolt action design but would be interested in hearing what the brotherhood thinks as I’ve come to find the collective experience and knowledge here seems to be vast and varied.

Anyone have experience with any of the bolt action uppers/parts conversions currently available for the AR-15? Thoughts on such a thing if no first-hand experience?

5 Likes

I had this same idea in the mid 90s. Everyone looked at me like I was retarded back then.

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve seen this type of reaction on some other forums when doing research, bit narrow-minded IMHO but such is the world we live in.

3 Likes

@chilipepper, plus, the design I thought of, these guys already make. As per the norm, I’m a dollar short and a day late. LoL

4 Likes
5 Likes

The Uintah seems to be one of the best vetted solutions I’ve come across, the others are essentially charging handle-to-bolt handle mods or canted bolt handle mods save maybe this one from Bear Creek Arsenal…

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca-ar-15-side-charging-upper-receiver-bcg-combo-223-5-56-nato

EDIT: I’m not entirely convinced the BCA side charger is for bolt action only use, might just be a side charger option. No photos of the BCG to see if the gas key has been eliminated.

2 Likes

I had a friend mill out my receiver and tap a BCG to do something similar to the BCA receiver. I also remove my gas block so that the bolt wouldn’t cycle. I did all that so I could hunt with my 300 blackout ( it was called a 300 fireball back then lol). PA doesn’t allow semi auto rifles for deer hunting. Got all that done and still got a ton of grief from a game commissioner because my AR was an AR, and not a hunting rifle. Also, I kept the spring and butter became I wasn’t sure if the bolt would flop open. I can’t remember if it did or not, but I’m gonna guess it probably did.

6 Likes

I just saw a review on the BCA site where a guy mentions using this to convert his AR for hunting use, so I guess it could be used to either relocate the charging handle on a semi or as a bolt action by eliminating the gas system.

EDIT: Just found another review where someone used the BCA upper without a gas system for straight line bolt action operation. I would think with the buffer system, you can just pull the handle back to eject the spent casing and let it fly forward with the buffer doing the work to chamber another round.

2 Likes

Theirs is just a side charger. I like it because it’s something different. But like the one I had a buddy make years ago, it’s a reciprocating charging handle. My charging handle was threaded in with a course pitch and would sometimes work it’s way out and turn onto another projectile. :joy::rofl::joy: Ah, good times. We had a very sophisticated and scientific way of testing shit back then. I’m surprised we made it out of the 90s with all our appendages.

3 Likes

uuummmmm all of us didnt…

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
but it is resting comfortably is Tequila until such a time as cloning catches up… :smiling_imp:

9 Likes

Ive been looking at these, not because i need to but, being a old southern swamp rat, I like a pump action, or trombone slide as they were once called, and one in 308 would be grand, with a high capacity magazine…

4 Likes

Interesting take on a manual conversion, I like the ingenuity. I’m not thinking about this because I have to (yet, anyway) just thinking about different uses of the AR-15 format. I find the AR’s configurability in terms of grips and stocks (aside from the other aforementioned benefits) allows for making one of the most comfortable long guns I’ve personally fired. Having said that, a bolt or pump action AR-15 would do well in driving off the political ants at our picnic as the first question asked in regards to banning is “1) Is this weapon semi-automatic? If not, it is not banned and you do not need to continue.” Done deal as far as I’m concerned and they can kiss my pasty white buttocks…

Wasn’t gonna bring that up as I wasn’t sure in what decade it decided to, uh, leave home… :grinning:

4 Likes

Just buy a Kali Key charging handle @chilipepper it converts any AR to a bolt gun :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Yeah, I saw that one but it didn’t really “float my boat”, not very ergonomic for cycling rounds. But since you’re here and we’re talking charging handles, thanks again for inadvertently turning me on to the Fortis Clutch charging handle. Mine finally arrived this past week from OP and I’m really liking it. :+1:t3:

5 Likes

@goblin
ouch---------------------

5 Likes

@chilipepper I wish they made it for AR10. I’m putting one together and had to go with Strike Industries instead.

5 Likes

has anyone handled or even seen the Hard Charger from Devil Dawg concepts?

looks rather intriguing , making a AR side charging,I can see the whole," more pieces something else to break" but since im standing up 2 KAKs ive been looking a lot more at the off the beaten path products. but I have actually not seen on in person yet.
hard-charger-side-charging-handle-devil-dog-concepts.jpeg

4 Likes

A guy I met 2nd time at what I now consider my home range said he had one on his AR but I never got to
see it or try it out. I noticed he was there last weekend as I was leaving but didn’t get to talk with him. I’ll keep my eye out next time and if he’s there I will at least have a look see if not try it.

I’ve been spending some time looking through the Bear Creek Arsenal site and I happened to notice they actually have a side charging upper receiver that has the option for an ambidextrous charging handle (packaged in a complete upper deal). Just wonder why one wouldn’t be able to get just the upper, I’ve got a preference for right ejection but a left side charging handle. :+1:t3:

4 Likes

these are out there, less bulk and moving parts, left hand jack, right hand eject…

and a ambex

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/Davidson-Defense-XRS3-Ambidextrous-Side-Charging-AR-15-Billet-Upper-Receiver_p_9528.html

4 Likes

Easy to do just dont install a gas block or gas tube and instant straight pull bolt gun. Personally it doesn’t do anything for me and I dont see any advantage to it but if you think it’s cool go for it

5 Likes