M*CARBO Brotherhood

Bill Lee, governor of Tennessee, proposing new bill on open and concealed carry

Gov. Bill Lee’s permitless carry bill set to bolster penalties for stealing guns
Joel Ebert and Natalie Allison, The TennesseanPublished 10:04 a.m. CT Feb. 27, 2020 | Updated 7:04 a.m. CT Feb. 28, 2020

Standing in a building that prohibits guns while surrounded by dozens of Republican lawmakers, Gov. Bill Lee announced Thursday plans to introduce legislation that would let Tennesseans carry handguns without first obtaining a permit while increasing penalties for illegal gun possession and thefts.

The governor’s sudden support for such legislation is a reversal from his previous public statements, a significant departure from his predecessor and a signal of Tennessee’s tilt toward the more conservative wing of the Republican Party.

“The Second Amendment’s clear and concise and secures the uninfringed right of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms,” Lee said inside the Old Supreme Court chamber at the state Capitol in Nashville. “Today, I’m announcing that we will be joining 16 other states in this nation by introducing a constitutional carry law in the state of Tennessee.”

17 Likes

@em44052

Nice to see some good news about gun rights.

Thanks for sharing this.

10 Likes

Sounds good. Please keep us updated. :grinning:

7 Likes

increasing penalties for illegal gun possession and thefts.

Isn’t that the kind of “Common sense gun laws” that actually makes common sense for once?

6 Likes

I hope us “Good” neighbors from NC to the East joins in too!

6 Likes

As a resident of Memphis I have mixed feelings about this. As a strong proponent and practitioner of a strong training regimen I’m not sure I want to see young men in the area carrying pistols in their waistbands or their back pockets with little to no training. I’m all for constitutional carry but I do have what I think are legitimate concerns about the safety issues that might present themselves. Still, the 2A makes no such distinctions so…

I realize I may be in the minority here.

2 Likes