M*CARBO Brotherhood

Best Value 1911 Under $1500 (New)

@Carriec

Thanks for the feedback. What is it you won’t buy another of…?

1. Got the only one we will ever need. Collectors have their niche but this is a quality tool that will put last me.

put=out fat fingers…

@Carriec

Did you get it in .45 acp or 10 mm?

.45 I’m not a 10mm fan. It’s not ammo picky and shoots like a dream.

@Carriec

Thanks for the feedback.

Anything you don’t like about it?

Not a thing for me. If I know we are going to shoot a good bit my wife likes the Hogue wrap around. I don’t complain because she is very good with it. Both of us shoot the SR1911 better than our other .45’s, a full size M&P with Apex trigger and a P90DC. We got this one 12/14. Prices were a little better then.

@dred I’ve ordered blem lowers from PSA and can never find the issue. It’s funny to me that some people won’t buy a blem. More for me!

@Kona I talked to me bout that Kona, I couldnt find em either, was told a lot of the time it was a slight imperfection in the artwork line depth, or a slight roughness in spots of the coating… the only time i ever had a issue was mating a PSA lower, to a Smith and Wesson flat top upper, had to use a wedge, lil to much movement for my taste, but it fed fine either way…

@kona … so it’s you that keeps putting them outa stock while I’m trying to buy’m. I’m gonna have to put you on friend/mentor probation till you start giving me more time :grin:. In all seriousness I’ve tried to pounce a few times and been consistently too slow and too late.

@dred hahaha! I’m beginning to think all PSA sells is “out of stock”

PSA…does not sound like 1911’s.

Can we get back on topic here, please?

Thank you.

@JohnB

Sure can. Ruger did a great job on the 1911s. I’d buy with confidence. Then I’d have the front strap checkered.

@Dred

Thanks. Doesn’t the SR1911 come with two different sets of grips - one wood, one rubber? If you put the rubber grips on, would you still want/need the additional checkering?

@JohnB … yes and yes. I don’t like any of the finger grooves I’ve tried on single stack 1911s and I’ve probably tried them all. I run Pearce finger grooves on my double stack 1911s, but if my checkering guy confirms there’s enough front strap meat to checker the 460 Rowland is getting Micarta and checkering.

I run a lot of 1911 flavors and I carry them all. The finger grooves just don’t work well for me. I can suck up a smooth front strap on my 9mm and 22TCM 1911s, but I cannot on the 10 or the 45. My hold secures the gun with the front strap and the back strap. The scales are largly a fashion accessory and their grippiness matters little to me. I’m simply not accurate if I’m squeezing the grip scales; rather I push-pull with support hand and shooting hand. My technique produces a grip that is extremely solid by advantaging upper body strength which is more lasting and durable than grip strength. But I do suffer from not practicing one handed shooting nearly enough. My one handed targets would qualify me for whatever, but I ain’t proud of them.

@Dred

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I use the push/pull technique, too - definitely helps me, though I am no expert shot.

Any idea how much it would cost to checker the front strap?

@JohnB … I don’t know. Finding a willing smith has been difficult. I found a local smith that does at a gun show a few months ago, but I have not got any quotes from him yet.

I can tell you it’s a few $hundred in tools plus two or three practice guns to DIY. The learning curve convinced me that it will be cheaper to pay a smith that can show me examples of what he/she has done. I’m too attached to my 1911s to use them to learn and I already know I don’t have the patience or eyesight to do work acceptable to me. And it will definitely vary according to the cost of refinishing the frame if it’s not a stainless gun.

@Kona Locals Kona Locals… lucky if any parts make it out of SOUTH CAKALAKIE! we like us some AR here…:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
gun counter will be a handful of people, parts counter is full 4 to 5 deep every time i go there…

@johnb @dred I’ve used the Wilson Combat checkered front strap on two of my SR1911s, one in stainless and one in black. I highly recommend them:

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Checkered-Frontstrap-Stainless/productinfo/100S/

TY sir … I just ordered 2. $9.95 with your recommendation makes it a must try. So if it works out on the Rock and the Spartan, I’ll consider ordering again for the uncompleted frame in my project que.