M*CARBO Brotherhood

Best 9mm Ammo For S2k?

It’s funny that you should mention this, I’m going to take a class for reloading, offered by a local gun store. I even got a brass catcher for my AR and AK. I’ll have to ‘engineer’ a catcher for pistol brass or start shooing my wheel gun again. I’ll PM you.

The Key wording in your question is Active Shooter Situation. This could be someone activity shooting at people at close range or long range. The 9mm handgun round was not designed for targeting at long range. So lets assume you mean that the encounter will be at a closer range, say within 150 feet or 50 yards. What round should you use. This depends on a lot of factors. #1 what time of year is it ? … this question goes to the type of clothing they may be wearing or not wearing … #2 what type of location ? … this question goes to the type of Obstacles you might encounter as well as anyone else that might end up being collateral damage … Ballistic tests have shown that Jacketed Hollow points tend to clog when the person is wearing heavy clothing and may not have the desired penetration or the cavitation effect. On the other hand rounds that are designed to penetrate through heavy clothing, like the Hornady rounds, will also more likely travel through someone who is wearing light clothing, therefore the potential of hitting someone else is a lot higher… There is no one type of round that works for every situation … You could load Jacketed Hollow points for summer and then use Hornady Critical Defense for winter … However using Jacketed Hollow Points will also limit your ability in the summer to fire a round through a window, car door, wood door or some other object if the need arises, but it will also decrease your odds to shooting someone unintentionally via direct fire or indirect …

I will use whatever is loaded in my gun.

I’ve axtually had a lot of luck out of 114 gr Winchester Aluminum casings lately. I’ve put about 500 through my Glock 19x, and the same for my Sub2k. You can’t reload them, but they’re about $7-8 cheaper than brass for a box of 200.

I should try the aluminum stuff since I don’t reload anyway. It has to be better than steel cased ammo that tears up extractors and the like.

I’m not sure of the aluminum cased ammo my S2K book says not to use it. doesn’t say why but don’t.

Aluminum won’t hurt anything and it’s actually softer than brass. The problem is that it’s not uncommon for the extractor to rip right though the case rim and leave the fired case in the chamber. Also, it’s just very cheap ammo, so there’s all the potential issues that come with that. The recommendation to not use it is more from a reliability standpoint.

I use it in my pistols with no issues and it is nice to save money on ammo. I might give it a try.

I actually watched a video on YouTube of a guy that got called out for using aluminum casings in his Sub2k. So he emailed Kel Tec, and they told him it was safe to use Aluminum as long as it’s not +P. They said they recommended using brass only, because it’s more reliable. I’m pretty sure aluminum +P doesn’t even exist, and if you’re just using it for target practice you’re good. I could definitely see the extractor ripping through the casing though. Aluminum is definitely softer than Brass, but it also definitely won’t cause any damage to the gun.

@KM55 When an aluminum cased round is fired in a blow back action it expands to seal the gases in the chamber. It takes longer for it to contract to its original size as compared to brass .A blow back action starts the extraction process immediately as compared to a recoil action. You may get a ripped rim if the chamber is rough or very tight. Use them if you want to but I would carry a cleaning or dowel rod to punch out a stuck case.

I reload, 147gr Blue Bullets sitting on a not quite max charge of Titegroup. Easy to load, fits everything I own in 9mm and is cheaper than factory. It’s accurate, doubly so out of my S2K. Coated bullets mean no fouling and easier clean up.

Kel Tec just uploaded this to instagram. Just putting it out there for people who might’ve not seen it or had questions about running steel cased ammo. I’ve ran steel cased ammo out if mine, but I won’t be doing it anymore.

Ok, but the text describes it as the result of firing behind a squib. A squib’s a squib’s a squib - firing through an obstructed barrel is a bad idea regardless of case construction, materials or origin.

Steel case ammo sucks, but that’s just my informed opinion. I’ve still got a couple hundred rounds - my sub 2000 survived the 50 I fed her just fine.

@Dred, exactly what I was thinking, I shot a few steel through it and the sub ate it up, I tried some aluminum and the sub ate it up, nickel and brass obviously had no problems. I tried all but +p and +p+ and no issues. I think the important thing is to pay attention especially for the first few hundred rounds to make sure you don’t get a squib and keep your stuff clean.

I submitted to Kel-Tec the following ticket:

Has Kel Tec evaluated the new Novx 9mm ammunition in the Sub 2000 Gen 2? Please review the attachments and provide an opinion regarding the use of this ammo in the Sub 2000 Gen 2.

Thank you,

Ericka (Kel-Tec)
said about 8 day(s) ago
We have not, but as long as it’s made in USA and brass cased, there shouldn’t be an issue with it. 65 grain should be fine as well.

deepsleep
said about 8 day(s) ago

The casing is NAS3 stainless steel. NAS3 steel is different then the usual steel used in ammo casing. Novx claims that NAS3 steel is far superior to extruded brass, provides strength, weight, dimension and alignment. Do you believe NAS3 steel casing will function OK in the SUB 2000 Gen2?

Ericka
said about 7 day(s) ago
Let me check with the engineer and I’ll get back to you once I have word.

Ericka
said about 6 hour(s) ago

No one here has evaluated this ammo. Being that it’s steel case, there’s a 70/30 chance it won’t eject right. However, the only way to know for sure is to buy some and try it out, sorry.

NovX Engagement Extreme Self-Defense 9mm Luger Ammo +P 65 Grain ARX Lead-Free -NQ9ARXPSS26

NovX Engagement Extreme Self-Defense 9mm Luger Ammo +P 65 Grain ARX Lead-Free for sale online at cheap discount prices with free shipping available on bulk 9mm Luger ammunition only at our online store TargetSportsUSA.com. Target Sports USA carries the entire line of NovX ammunition for sale online with free shipping on bulk ammo including this NovX Engagement Extreme Self-Defense 9mm Luger Ammo +P 65 Grain ARX Lead-Free .

NovX Engagement Extreme Self-Defense 9mm Luger Ammo +P 65 Grain ARX Lead-Free ammo review offers the following information;Law Enforcement officials require the highest quality of materials and performance levels for their self defense ammunition. All these requirements are met when it comes to NovX ammunition’s Extreme Self-Defense series. This line of 9mm Luger is designed with a stainless steel case and poly/copper matrix projective which presents the end user a more powerful rounds with a greater velocity, better accuracy, lower recoil, and with the most devastating terminal performance than ever thought possible. The Extreme Self-Defense line was engineered with an ARX bullet; this means that the ammo has the highest terminal performance, so that not even the heaviest clothing can create a stopping barrier, proceeding through until it comes into contact with soft tissue. Once the round enters soft tissue, it goes through what is known as the Venturi Effect; the nose of this specially designed bullet begins to groove in the nose and harness the soft tissue and constrict, pressurize and eject it at 1.5 to 2 times the directional speed of the bullet. While the bullet is penetrating through, it tumbles in a predictable, conventional manner which is able to present a very consistent terminal performance which is equal to or surpasses standard hollow point rounds. The NovX SST NAS3 Stainless Steel shell casing is paired to a primer pocket constructed of 7078 hardened aircraft quality aluminum plated with nickel. The NAS3 stainless steel casing, far superior to extruded brass, provides strength, weight, dimension and alignment. For shooters this means unparalleled power, higher velocity, greater efficiency, cycling, and accuracy, reduced weight, reduced bore fouling and corrosion, and increased reloads.

NovX Engagement Extreme Self-Defense 9mm Luger Ammo 65 Grain ARX Lead-Free-NQ9ARXSS26

NovX Engagement Extreme Self-Defense 9mm Luger Ammo 65 Grain ARX Lead-Free for sale online at cheap discount prices with free shipping available on bulk 9mm Luger ammunition only at our online store TargetSportsUSA.com. Target Sports USA carries the entire line of NovX ammunition for sale online with free shipping on bulk ammo including this NovX Engagement Extreme Self-Defense 9mm Luger Ammo 65 Grain ARX Lead-Free .

NovX Engagement Extreme Self-Defense 9mm Luger Ammo 65 Grain ARX Lead-Free ammo review offers the following information;Law Enforcement officials require the highest quality of materials and performance levels for their self defense ammunition. All these requirements are met when it comes to NovX ammunition’s Extreme Self-Defense series. This line of 9mm Luger is designed with a stainless steel case and poly/copper matrix projective which presents the end user a more powerful rounds with a greater velocity, better accuracy, lower recoil, and with the most devastating terminal performance than ever thought possible. The Extreme Self-Defense line was engineered with an ARX bullet; this means that the ammo has the highest terminal performance, so that not even the heaviest clothing can create a stopping barrier, proceeding through until it comes into contact with soft tissue. Once the round enters soft tissue, it goes through what is known as the Venturi Effect; the nose of this specially designed bullet begins to groove in the nose and harness the soft tissue and constrict, pressurize and eject it at 1.5 to 2 times the directional speed of the bullet. While the bullet is penetrating through, it tumbles in a predictable, conventional manner which is able to present a very consistent terminal performance which is equal to or surpasses standard hollow point rounds. The NovX SST NAS3 Stainless Steel shell casing is paired to a primer pocket constructed of 7078 hardened aircraft quality aluminum plated with nickel. The NAS3 stainless steel casing, far superior to extruded brass, provides strength, weight, dimension and alignment. For shooters this means unparalleled power, higher velocity, greater efficiency, cycling, and accuracy, reduced weight, reduced bore fouling and corrosion, and increased reloads.

$30 for 20 rounds Of 9mm ?!? For that price I’d just shoot 44magnum

Steel ammo = less expensive yes, but steel is a very hard material and really speeds up the wear on parts like extractors. When you start having issues with your extractor then what happens? Jams :frowning: we don’t like malfunctions

I order extra extractors, not that I shoot steel case ammo all the time…

We havent seen much excess wear with Underwood +P+ or Winchester +P+ @ 115 grains after 1000 rounds. We have been shooting 147 grain +P+ conservatively since this is pushing it for a 4140 barrel.