Bear defense weapon 🐻

With ease, the juvenile bear just rips the door right off the hinges like a kid taking apart a Lego car.

8 Likes

I totally know where your coming from… If I could carry as much I would, lots or crap to go through to carry a hand gun here… so I sometimes carry the SUB2K (underpowered I know) and the 12 gauge with the meanest 3’" slugs I can source. Or I have the 12 gauge in reach at all times if I am by myself. I know at time it’s inconvenient and the chances are slim anything will happen, but for me it’s just plain comforting.

10 Likes

Ya Jeff, those Cats… I’m in MT and the Bears are an issue. But golly I have seen Cats pulled out from just above my place that looked like they belonged in a Zoo. Huge… Looked at in amazement and thought, “What if I was their Foil Ball?”. And they can be on One like a breeze of wind instantly.
Anyhow, I don’t want to drift off in disrespect of the OP Arrow’s Post…
But as most here know, One is not necessary top of the Food Chain just because One walks on two legs, has and could, use a Firearm.
In THEIR neck of the Woods; A Firearm helps, attention to Ones Surroundings, and Situational Awareness… As always of course…
_

8 Likes

There are lots of cats here. And yep…plenty big.
If some people knew just how close cats have been to them, without them ever knowing, they would be afraid to go outside their house.

Only 2 of a number of incidents near or in towns, to say nothing of out in the field.

This was in 2020 across the street from my buddy’s house in town.

Mountain lion euthanized to protect public safety near Kimberly in southern Idaho | Idaho Fish and Game

This was a month ago. The goats were killed about 1/2 mile from my house. (3 miles outside of town)
Confirmed mountain lion livestock kills east of Twin Falls | Local | magicvalley.com

7 Likes

Not nearly as inconvenient as not having it if needed. And I agree. Damn comforting!! :+1:

7 Likes

13 Likes

Good day for an east Tn. bear post.

Took the dogs out 4 days ago for their morning duties. Got about 40 yds from the house and my shepherd took off across our drive and down the hill after a really big black bear. She caught it after about 30 yds and it turned on her and chased her about 10 yds back up the hill. Leaves are all off the trees so all this was right in front of me and a highly incensed 7 month old lab. The bear then turned towards the house and our lower cleared area. I was feeling a little exposed about that time so called the dogs and eased back to the house.

It’s a rule that this stuff seems to happen when you’re not carrying…

7 Likes

@Dumasor
So common, same similar happened to me and Ozzy, seems the dogs are not stupid, fun game, chase the bear and when the bear stops running does a 180 and chases the (lone) dog a short distance then stops. Ozzy did the same, came running back but the bear held up after a short distance.
Instinct I guess.

6 Likes

Makes me glad I’m in Wis. We have a lot of bears but we’ve had a foot of snow in the last week and it will be 5 degrees tomorrow morning so they are all sleeping by now!

5 Likes

Yup, same here, I’m sure they are in dens by now.

5 Likes

Built here in 93, retired and moved permanently in 2019, so maybe spent only 5 or 6 winters here in that time. We’re in the foothills at 2450 ft elevation, one ridge away from Great Smoky Mtn Natl Park. Bears in this area are not supposed to hibernate but just kind of slow down? Makes sense as there’s not a lot of easy food. For sure you can’t leave bird feeders out overnight.

6 Likes

@Dane @Moosecall @Dumasor Here in S.E. Alaska New Game’ They are taking ‘‘little Power Nap’s’’ waiting for Fresh Back Strap’ with all the decline of Good fish run’s and Crap berry Seasons they be very much Active,and Hungry.

7 Likes

@DivaMarie Tony…I was born in Alaska. But, not yesterday. So there ain’t no way I am going to a place where your spit bounces off the sidewalk, you have to microwave your car battery in the morning, and there is this thing evidently called “wind chill”. The only “wind chill” here is the AC blowing on my neck at my range.

But it looks like we may get some rain on Friday. Brrrrrrr…

Enjoy the season! :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Yeah, poor you…:roll_eyes:

10 Likes

@TexasEskimo Brian … Thank You for such a Heartless & Negative Reply
from you :+1: Hope ya end up with a case of ‘‘brain freeze’’ from AC on your neck!
Living up in Cantwell for a while in 70’s no power’ POS Oil Drip Not stove!
you had to drain Oil from block every nite & bring battery in If you wanted to make it back to Bar& Breakfast the next day.
And the ‘‘Most Important Thing’’ !! Bring the ‘‘Out House Seat in’’ to Cabin when done! Or face the ‘‘Living Hell’’ of one Highly Pissed Off Lady, :rage: :rage:One of those things you Only do ‘‘Once’’ if smart in your life time. :rofl: :rofl:

10 Likes

@DivaMarie
A couple tips I learned over time & having to use an outhouse in less than favourable conditions… If there is a such thing.
Change the seat to high density foam, cut out several, hey you can even sit on the foam and trace your ass out for a custom fit. These are disposable and I guarantee when you sit on them at -20C the are warm.
Folks I’ve read use a modified the blow torch under the oil pan, leave for 5 minutes and your good to go. Also add an electric battery blanket for added -50C cold starts.
Worked for me. :+1:

9 Likes

@Moosecall :rofl: As I said in the above you only want to make this mistake Once’ with a female Red head with frost bite on her Bottom’
Did learn about foam& heating pan with a torch, as the trials&error’s of a
Alaskan Newbie continued. :smiley:
‘‘Happy Miners Day’’ a day Late!

9 Likes

We used electric engine block heaters in McMurdo Station & Pole Station Antarctica so our trucks started in the winter. Just remember to unplug them before you back out.

7 Likes

Before steel belted radial tires they were mostly just rubber. When it got cold enough the rubber on the bottom of the tires froze flat. So the next morning you would have quite the bumpy ride until the tires heated up. If they heated up.
If you just went straight all the tires would hit the flat spot at the same time. Once you turned a corner they would no longer be in sync and then it felt like the entire car was about to rattle apart.

5 Likes

Hey @DivaMarie

Same to you!
SOP should have known better…
Kind of thought that’s what you meant, I got into the weeds a bit there. Without the foam better bite down on a stick as you sit down below zero. Cheers,

6 Likes