M*CARBO Brotherhood

Bear defense weapon

@cico7 Some people think its a Joke’ They Will Eat you’ The Hairy Overgrown Muskeg Rats are Everywhere!!! Read the Article on the Women Attacked from below in the Outhouse in Haines Alaska last week!!

9 Likes

Bear just wanted some beaver for dinner.

10 Likes

I don’t think it’s a joke. I have been pretty close to several black bears. No way around it, you realize that you are not the top of the food chain and you are in their yard. The ones that come around and get into your garbage are usually pretty easy to scare off and you had better keep scaring them off, because when they get bigger, they will smell those fast food bags in your car and smell the food in your house.
I pretty much just let nature be nature, I don’t even hunt anymore. Just targets. But that is kind of the point with a bear or big cat, they really don’t care about all that, they will just kill your ass. But I feel fairly confident in bear country with both my wife and I carrying. I told her today that we are going to have to work on her speed a little bit this summer (and mine too) but I think she could definitely hit a bear a few times. Again who knows until in that situation.

4 Likes

One thing not being addressed in this thread is avoidance. Bears have an incredible sense of smell and can be attracted from a substantial distance. When our Scouts were camping in potential bear habitat, we took extraordinary measures to either eliminate scents or move them far from the main camping area - even canned food items. We did not wear deodorant or brush our teeth to further minimize any attraction. If we did not take it seriously enough, the Rangers certainly did and were quick to write citations.

As for having your wife around, that could be either good or bad and consideration should be given to the time of the month.

8 Likes

I’ve had a couple black ones before and a cinnamon one once come sniffing around when cooking before. The smell of bacon travels a ways. I had one come around this cabin I lived in because I was really into cooking in the smoker and soon after that, I was chasing him out of my garbage can all the time.

5 Likes

When I go backpacking, and am limited for weight, I pack my FNX 45 converted to 460 Rowland. Light gun with 15 rounds of 44 mag power hard cast lead that can be easily shot one handed. I also pack bear spray, both have uses, but bear spray in a tent is a no go. I don’t always pack a full 15 rounds to save weight, and the chances of getting more than one or two shots off with a grizz are slim at best.

9 Likes

I understand and believe you. I would seriously carry the biggest handgun I could if I were in roaming around Alaska.
We frequently watch Building Alaska or Living Alaska on TV and the look on some peoples faces when they hear there are really bears there…I want that true Alaskan experience…well hang on cause you’re going to get it!

6 Likes

I inquired into that once and was greeted oh no you didn’t ask that…and what a studip question…
I guess maybe it isn’t that stupid.

5 Likes

one of these. and get adapt at loading.
you can shoot4 rounds as fast as any bolt gun and be on target.
once you get the hang of it.

6 Likes

its actually good to take her with you that time of the month, on Buck only days… :+1: :+1: :+1:
to test that theory take your honey to the local zoo during that time of the month.
watch the primates go flipping insane…course could be why i got 2 Xs…

9 Likes

headline was “i felt something bite me on the ass”
bout peed myself when i read that story

8 Likes

Id probably just go with a 10mm glock loaded with heavy copper solids, and throw a set of xs sights big dots on it and a wml. Probably the cheapest, lightest, highest capacity option. Yea, a S&W X frame revolver in 500 s&w magnum may make it deader faster, but it costs a lot more and you end up with a gun you care if it gets banged arround or wet/dirty.

4 Likes

@cico7 The same authority telling you that isn’t an issue will cite you in a heartbeat if you have canned food too close to your campsite. If bears can smell canned goods they can smell that. In fact, smell is the primary sense used by most mammals to determine when a female is in estrus.

6 Likes

I was Hoping you did’ How Damn Funny’ Of course I always look to see how or if the Splash Effect is a problem,Then use Option #2 :rofl:

5 Likes

Well Said I Guess It’s a Standard way of life for me Up here.

6 Likes

16 Likes

@DivaMarie
MISS ALASKA

10 Likes

Well, from every story I have read one thing is certain, it doesn’t matter what you are carrying, it’s probably going to take multiple shots (remember it’s not a hunting situation). It would seem to me that from a 9mm to a 223/556, it’s more about hitting it as many times as you can. And a little luck.
Read one article that said some people in Alaska like the 223/556 for just that reason. You can carry larger amounts of ammo in bigger mags.
I however did not come across one single (I am sure it has happened before) story where 1 shot took a pissed off bear down.

@GOBLIN I have seen that before and oh how true., Man that girl in that pic has a nice 6.

5 Likes

A 12 gauge walking stick might be a good way to go…

5 Likes

The subject was a GRIZZLY BEAR not a black bear, 2 completely different animals ! ! ! I went from a .44 mag to a .454 when I worked in the Rockies.

5 Likes