M*CARBO Brotherhood

Bear defense weapon 🐻

So I know someone who likes to haul their horses around and ride. Actually I know lots of someone’s who like to haul their utv’s around and ride.
The one with horses has ridden all over the smokey mountains and in Colorado. Pretty gun savy guy. He was telling me he would like to go ride in Montana but brown bears concern him a lot more than black bears.
I’ve only ever dealt with little black bears that are pretty easy to scare off. So I didn’t know what to say.
So tonight I am watching this movie about a killer bear and it got me to wondering about how I might do with my 9mm side arm if a brown bear started charging me from 50 yards or under. Turns out that much like everything else in life, if you can stay cool (who knows until you are there right) shot placement no matter what caliber you are shooting (obviously bigger is better) is the key. And a little luck never hurts.
The trick and consensus I come to after reading about all this is you need to be able to put about a round a second accurately, because if it’s charging, you only are going to have about 3-4 seconds.
Anyway I found the whole subject interesting and decided on a couple of drills to put my wife and myself through this summer.
What do you guys think? What would you be carrying out in bear country? Not hunting from 200 yards, but 50 yards and under??

10 Likes

Oh and on a side note, the consensus on successful encounters seems to be fmj heavy grain. Penetration is a problem with a bear.
I don’t know if that affects how you would choose. Because I have shot my brothers desert eagle and holy cow, I would do far better with my 9mm. Because unless that first shot is a kill shot, I don’t think I could sqeeze off another until it was right on top of me.

7 Likes

10mm 44mag, 45/70, 458mag. bigger the better. 9MM? you would have to get a extremely lucky shot on something that big and that fast moving at you. ive seen 9mm not slow a crackhead down, as well as 40. Brow, Griz,Kodiac, you need something large, either that or a really slow buddy.
Lightest i would carry is a lever action 45/70 and a 44mag loaded hot. at the very least.

9 Likes

My vote is the 45-70 or larger. Anything smaller is just going to piss him off and you will surely be dinner.

6 Likes

We only have blackies here in Michigan, but i carry underwood extreme penetrators in 9mm +p+, when im up in the woods. I have not shot game with them yet, but they have to be the best bet in 9mm?

8 Likes

That to was also a consensus, +p is recommended.
I read about one where the guy shot it 3 times, ran 15ft, turned around shot it 3 more times, ran another 15 and finally put it down the 3rd time.
Wildlife brought up a metal detector, found the casings and verified that account.
So a bigger mag is a very possible situation. Especially because you have a fucking bear chasing you that you have hit several times already and you better hope you ain’t one round short.

6 Likes

@GOBLIN

Yeah, the bigger the better, nobody is arguing that. The question is if a bear is charging, what caliber could you shoot well enough to stop said bear from charging. Also, unless you have time a rifle might be out of the question. Or if you are off taking a piss or something and your rifle is on the utv or horse.
As far as crackheads? They make bullets for those too. In this case, we are talking about as fast and as deep as you can go, as tight of grouping as you can get. Like I said fmj 147 or more from a standing position.
It’s the ultimate compromise. Because from what I have read, it really doesn’t matter from caliber to caliber as much as the 3 round Burst and placement.

5 Likes

the one i would use is this one. animal aint like a man. animal will fight and claw and rip till its dead.
the fastest way is a head or spinal cord shot/ but that skull is thick and spinal cord is tiny. nother way dead center of the chest if you can make that shot on a locomotive coming at you/ dead center on the breast bone will bust it rolling out both front shoulders it his the ground in a thrashing rage allowing you to take your time and place a shot.
they dont call em dangerous game for nothing, cougar ,bear,moose elk, hell whitetail deer can ruin your day. you can do what you want, but if i were you I would buy a decent 44mag, good ammo, chest holster, and leave the 9 at home for home defense.
Griz can run 35 mph flat out coming at you. topping 600lbs and bigger, 4" long claws and thats just for starters. but thas JM2C

10 Likes

@Arrow Please Don’t do It’, I’ve Hunted Se AK for 40 yrs and All I carried was a 375 H&H Magnum with 285 grand Slams.
As @GOBLIN Says bigger is Much Better! This is One Situation in Life that you don’t want to Learn the Wrong Way, let Alone the ‘‘Oh Sh**’’ Factor when it’s Too Late’ and he’s Eating your Loved One or You.
You do not want the Experience of 1000-1200 Pds of Brown Bear who woke up on the Wrong side Of Bed Pissed off just Cause he Can be’ Charging you from 100 yards away and drop at your feet dead with 10 rounds of 375&338 Killing Hits in Him Dead but not Know it. Have Been There’
Hope this give you the Rest of the Story. :+1:

9 Likes

Crazy ones always need a double tap.
Now. Comes the question.
Can my woman out shoot your woman at 25 yards. Surprise to put down, 3 shot.
Best 2 out of 3.

4 Likes

Didn’t Realize we were comparing Our Women’s Shooting Ability’ Was only offering some Friendly Advise to you, We call those who go into Southeast Alaska Bush with a 9mm Only (Bait)

9 Likes

A .22 will work if you use it to kneecap your hiking partner.

12 Likes

Practice on an empty 100 gallon steel propane tank and you will see your chances of actually penetrating the skull of a mature bear, or stopping it with various 9mm…also try another cal.

If you’re thinking of using 9mm…you have a 0% chance of penetration from 42 yds. with a PCC9 barrel length…even the FMJ truncated cone could not penetrate. :joy::joy::joy:

I would use 10mm and up.

Bring a Double Whopper and some greasy fries and leave them on the ground and run like hell…you’ll have a much better chance of living to tell the story…:hamburger:

7 Likes

even a Black Bear can be a might bit spicy, you get tween a sow and her cubs…

10 Likes

Or a bird feeder…:scream:

5 Likes

14 Likes

Well if I am out in the woods with my wife, I probably better be pretty confident in her ability.
I think that is going to be another key is whoever you are with’s ability. The people concerned with this are all traveling with their wives to go ride their toys.
Another story I read was about two bow hunters heading back in. They were both armed with a side arm and bear spray and had already agreed that one would draw and one would bear spray. Bear spray didn’t work because of a headwind and so they put it down.
Now personally, I don’t know if I would even try bear spray, because I have used it with a headwind and I couldn’t see for 15 minutes after that. Nothing like blinding yourself before something attacks you. What probably made it worse is your first instinct is to rub your eyes and if spraying into the wind, your hand probably has bear spray on it as well.
I’m not saying any of this is a good idea to be out there with just a pistol. I’m just wondering what my odds would be.

4 Likes

No doubt about it, I know some guys who when traveling in bear country with their wives, wouldn’t fair as well as others.
Because I think two armed people would stand a far better chance. If you get 3 shots before moving and taking another 3 shots I could definitely see where having someone with you that can hit the broad side of a…bear, might be helpful.

2 Likes

.45 acp. Is what i have carried. But you need a rattle snake gun too. Judge w/.410
Would prefer 44mag though.

5 Likes

Lol. Bear bait ?
I would carry the biggest thing i could

5 Likes