M*CARBO Brotherhood

Barrel On New Sub 2000

I just purchased a new SUB-2000 and I don’t know what type of ammo they use to proof test these firearms but it was very dirty and it was as if it has dried Cosmoline in the barrel. Wire brushed it then applied Hoppe’s and let sit overnight. Ran a dry patch through it and came out black. Applied JBbore paste several times and then Hoppe’s again overnight. It is finally coming clean. You could see the stuff in the barrel.

Looking forward to doing some upgrades to this rifle. MC

4 Likes

Interesting. Neither of my barrels were like that. I’ve had two barrels on mine because of the recall replacement.

2 Likes

I was surprised too. When I get a new firearm I go through it and do a cleaning and inspect it for any defects as a precaution. Don’t know what was in the barrel but the JB Bore Paste cleaned it up. I hear that Kroil will do a good job of getting under crud so I will run a patch of it in the barrel ad let it soak overnight. MC

4 Likes

I Think it’s machinists oil baked on during the hardening process. The end of the muzzle is very rough as well we have found.

2 Likes

Hi Thumper
Machine oil, that probably is what was in the barrel. The end of the muzzle on my rifle was clean with no crud on it at all, just luck of the draw I guess.

I read on this forum that +P ammo should not be used in this firearm but I can’t seem to find it in the owners manual. KEL-TEC talks about ammo in general terms but in the owners manual I did not see anything saying not to use +P. I don’t shoot a lot of +P in my hand gun and I don’t think that what ever was on the receiving end could tell the difference either.

1 Like

I opened a ticket with Kel-Tec about this issue around 11 months ago.

I have never seen a conclusive statement from Kel Tec regarding the use of +P or +P+ 9mm ammo with the Sub 2000 Gen 2. What is the recommendation of Kel Tec regarding the use of +P or +P+ ammo? Is it safe to use?

Ericka
said about 11 month(s) ago
Kel Tec does not recommend any use of +P or +P+ ammo in the Sub rifles.

2 Likes

I think Kel-Tec also put that on the receipts returned with recalled SUB2000s.

1 Like

The end of the 3 barrels we are testing were crudely machined. We cleaned it up with a brownells 11 degree crown bought from Brownells for $80. We didn’t see much improvement in accuracy. Kel Tec does not recommend +P ammo. They had some lots of bad barrels from a separate manufacturer. We have fired 115 +P+ and 147 +P ammo through 3 test 2000s with little issue to the barrel. The bolt does slam excessively with +P ammo. Our best accuracy and ballistics (non gel testing) was with 135 Hornandy Critical Duty ammo. I’d share the test with you but Commietube shut down our channel. -Rey

1 Like