M*CARBO Brotherhood

Bad Day At The Races

I just received my new M^CARBO @ChrisNelson spring kit for my Mossberg Maverick 88 gun. Man the excitement… After reviewing the video a few times, I was ready to tackle the job, at least so I thought!

The trigger group was removed from the gun ‘no problem.’ Of course when one has ‘animals’ in the house you cannot go without any disturbances! I l layed the weapon down and walked away for a few moments to take care of the problem. I came back to take care of my task at hand disassembling the trigger.

Of course as Chris said, ‘watch out for the roll pins coming out of the assembly!’ No sooner of ‘not thinking,’ my sear pin came out???!!! I do not know if any of you had that occur, but WOW , my day was SHOT???

It was my first time taking apart the trigger group! Well, taking apart things, there is an ORDER and not knowing how this assembly fully operates I did not follow the protocol and I was struggling with the springs. I finally figured it out. However, when it came time to putting the sear in, I was all thumbs. I cannot seem to manipulate the spring assembly and install the roll pin!

After spending a day getting NOWHERE, I am looking for a sear spring installation tool !!! I will still have to ‘fight’ the task of installation once the tool arrives. So, you want to be a gunsmith and earn ‘extra’ income? I am starting to question my logic… Laughing madly

7 Likes

Errrgg!! I know that feeling only too well. Read my thread “Help Reassemble SUB2000” and how everyone jumped in to help but I was a dead man bungling. Ended up taking it to a gunsmith. All good now though :+1:

7 Likes

So I just purchased a new trigger assembly for $48. I guess I have an extra assembly when I decide to put it back together? Maybe I can enjoy my trigger kit another day? LOL

3 Likes

Thank God for Ebay… So now I will have an extra trigger assembly (when I decide to ‘attempt’ to fight the sear and spring.) I guess that I should be ‘humbled’ by the ass kicking??? Big smiles!

3 Likes

Just to make you feel better, lonewolf:

It could be much worse! Norway managed to sink their own frigate! :astonished:

5 Likes

And what, ‘we’ are now playing, ‘who sunk the battleship?’ Laughing madly. Thank you! I don’t feel as bad. Live and learn. I guess the real frustration was that it was not ‘broke’ in the 1st place. I bought the trigger kit to reduce spring tension. I knew the warnings and WHAM, KARMA. It just doesn’t seem fair? LOL

4 Likes

dont feel bad, we’ve all had those 'O CRAP "moments. mine were, first Ruger MK II I tore down to clean, second was first time i tore down to the frame Winchester model 94…and waited a month to put back together…

3 Likes

They are a booger to strip (MK II.) It is a great gun. Have you been on volquartsen.com ? There are some great set ups for your gun. I love their options!

3 Likes

@lonewolf @GOBLIN I bought a used Volquartsen Scorpion on Gunbroker that needed ALOT of cleaning. The more I got into it the more I took apart and when I was done I sat there looking at all the parts saying “oh crap”. I went on Youtube and found a video on the Ruger MKll which was close enough to help me put it all back together…gotta love Youtube.

5 Likes

LOLOL know the feeling, have a set of their grips on a mKII saw a bunch of other items i would like,but im saving to get a MKII integrally suppressed, find anything to help you out on the 88 yet?

4 Likes

“Still all out of likes!” lol Youtube is great. It let me down on a Mossberg 88, though. It is the ‘same’ gun as the 500/590/835, one would think? If you look at a trigger group, before it is taken apart, it is exactly the same. However, if you examine the springs cionfiguritively speaking, they are diferent in size and shape. Your mind plays tricks on you. You are staring at something totaly different? lol

3 Likes

I will did thru my paper library and see what i can dig up on the 88…

3 Likes

Thanks. I still need a type of tool to hold the sear spring. it is way awkward to hold in place with a punch, tiny needle nose. One can make a spring type holder out of an old ‘action tube bar’ but I do not have an extra one. A lot of work? lol

3 Likes

from everything i can find, the 88 maverick and the 500 are almost identical takes a tool has a lil bend to it like a C with a notch the size of the spring, so it fits tight, allows you to push it into place and slide the pin in. anyway, the best video ive found on the 500 sear, is the following, pictures arn’t that good, but, gives you the idea, mean while im trying to locate the P/N for the tool. it does exist.

the only reassy tip i found concerning the sear, was the following, the spring must be installed as shown(shown is bent L against the sear, straight arm against the wall of the assy) remember before the hammer is installed, the sear must be lifted to the vertical position (spring loaded)
I will continue the hunt for the tool.(mentioned in the video)

my 500 ive used the pin and a magnetic hook scribe i ground back to a nub… but the tool would be nice.

3 Likes

@GOBLIN. Thank you so much for thinking of me and my prior frustrations! In fact, I believe I had even used this same you.tube video because the picture jumped at me, too! When following this video I found that the spring shapes and diameter were somewhat DIFFERENT in sized and shape than my 88! It ‘tricked’ my eyes and brain into feeling like I was handling an entirely new part. Even though the function and operation are totally the same. I hope that I conveyed my words so that you understand what I am saying? I don’t know if Mossberg did that because of improvements to the trigger/cost factor. I found an actual 88 video on the trigger but it was recorded on a phone and the lighting and size was inadequate! I ended up ‘bagging’ the parts so they won’t be lost. I had purchased a brand new trigger group for $48/inc shipping. I probably would have been charged more to have a gunsmith re-assemble? I can still install my M*CARBO trigger kit (without the trigger return spring.) I won’t have to dig back into the assembly without the worry of the sear pin coming out. To even ensure that happening, I think I will even wrap tape on the housing to keep the sear pin from even fall out of the assembly! Big smiles. I checked the trigger pull prior to the ‘botch job’ and had a 6.5-pound pull. I am sure that I will still get a 2-pound net decrease? I was even thinking why I needed to replace it because I will only be using the gun as an assault rifle? LOL I guess it was fate because I never would have met this group @ChrisNelson. Big smiles! Besides, just tinkering with guns is cool and practice makes perfect?

2 Likes

@GOBLIN. If you can help me locate that tool, that would be TRICK!!! Big smiles.

1 Like

I will find it, sent some messages out to a couple of gunbunnies i know, matter of time. thats always the pain in tha tail part to install on the mossburgs.

2 Likes

@GOBLIN. My brand new trigger group arrived today. An E-BAY seller outdid herself and exceeded my delivery expectations. I ‘slammed’ that badboy into the gun in record time!!! However, I did not do the trigger installation kit. The trigger pull was a whopping 7.2 pounds. I decided that I would concentrate the spring replacement at another time since i was happy to record the difference between the (2) assemblies.

2 Likes