ATF Brace/SBR Discussion

I don’t know about all of you but I sure am glad my sub 2000 has a 16 1/4 barrel. Since Biden with a swipe of pen made it illegal to own a 16 inch or less barrel on Friday January 13, 2023. See article here. Someone thought this through…or not

3 Likes

I missed it. What’d Biden do? I was no doubt distracted by AFT.

And is 16 an issue if I aint plYing stabilizer games?

3 Likes

The language I’m seeing only indicates under 16", unless I missed something. I don’t have anything with a brace but I think the whole brace/stock and SBR thing is rather stupid and has no foundation in safety of any genuine kind.

Today, the Department of Justice announced it has submitted to the Federal Register the “Stabilizing Braces” Final Rule, which makes clear that when manufacturers, dealers, and individuals use stabilizing braces to convert pistols into rifles with a barrel of less than 16 inches, commonly referred to as a short-barreled rifles, they must comply with the laws that regulate those rifles, including the National Firearms Act (NFA).

Often, when pistols are converted to rifles by the use of a stabilizing brace covered by the rule, they have barrels less than 16 inches in length and must comply with the same heightened requirements that apply to short-barreled rifles under the NFA.

5 Likes

Well it starts, the pen swipper strikes again without warning.
Hang onto your pants this should be interesting.
I thought there was a duty to consult??? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t recall any law passing Congress. Do any of you?

3 Likes

I think if you scroll to the bottom there is final rule published and its in there. A much longer read. Nothing on any news channel. I only knew because my nieghbor watches this stuff like a hawk. At first he said you are now a felon with that ket tek and I went to measure it right away. Whew 16.25. These government guys are sneaky.

2 Likes

Cliffnotes from my first read of the rule posted…

16" + is still rifle, no matter the stock/brace type.
Under 16" = pistol, unless it has a “rearward attached device” that allows firing from Shoulder = SBR and you gotta register/treat as such.

7 Likes

I’m on the verge of closing this thread. It’s incredibly misleading and sensational. 16 inch barrels are NOT outlawed. I don’t mind discussion about the brace/SBR changes but we can’t allow panicky misinformation and/or fighting about it. @Jsytsma Please fix the title of your thread.

14 Likes

Please visit this link.

7 Likes

Not sure how this will play out especially in the communist republic of New Jersey, but just to be safe I bought a 16" 9mm barrel for my Troy A4.

3 Likes

So how are other folks preparing?

I bought round buffer tubes for all the braced pistols in my clan more than a year ago when they started down this path. I haven’t installed any. My pistol hasn’t had love in over a year. I did give her back a HS 510 when December passed without the promised shitstorm.

I even converted her to endomags and wal planning to run her against the rifles in the mail in match. But, on Saturday the 14th, she was mothballed again.

I also told my brother and father to keep theirs at home. We’re gonna decide on the 59th day after Friday the 13th. Only way they are registering is:
against my advice.

Wild thing is: I have a $200 Form 1 to file. Until last week I was look’n forward to the 2 week Efile.

4 Likes

Ok … good luck with y’alls free stamps. If you haven’t put yourself on the hook - watch this video!

7 Likes

Yep…gonna cost me a few bills to get “legal” again.

Now…how is this gonna work for states that never allowed sbrs, but allowed ar style pistols?

4 Likes

It appears your sources are very accurate, great that this post remained up and evolved.

1 Like

I’m pretty engaged, but this remains a singular warning that 16.0 is now a pistol. And, I’ve never seen a 16.0" barrel. Every manufacturer fudges to ensure they don’t sell a barrel that can never be recrowned.

I’m not trying to dog you or the OP. But the OP should verify the veracity of his neighbors assertions before owning them and spreading them.

3 Likes

@Dred
I just see so much hype on this, lots on Ytube.

There must be something going on affecting folks, just and observation.
What sources can you trust these days?

2 Likes

NONE. The 200+ page upchuck we’re facing is POORLY written largely 'cause it is agenda driven and created by cognitive dilenquents.

There is a reason I mothballed my impacted firearm, sourced parts for a worst case, and determined to delay decision until the day before enforcement might become a thing.

Since I have a paid stamp in progress, even if I decide to change course at day 59, I can get a Form 1 completed by day 60.

I don’t blame you for not reading 200+ pages of our BS. Your boys are keeping it plenty messy for y’all. I hope a fix come in for the stupid you are facing.

4 Likes

@Dred
Thanks, I hope a fix comes in also, I’m counting on next election. IMHO
Good luck you all with sorting this one out.
I see the writing on the wall, and I’m not referring specifically to the one, well you know the one.
Cheers and happy Friday…

2 Likes

Boating with my only affected firearm. It would be a shame if it fell overboard :shushing_face::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Maybe my last fact drop today:

As of 8am, still not published in the Federal Register. My 59 day clock has not started.

So, if you have taken the “free” bait, you are also very premature. And, the AFT appreciates your registration.

Longshot: but, I wouldn’t put “False Flag” off the table just yet. E.g., Miss promised December drop, then drop a false flag timed to ensure the shot show crowd shows the oppositions hand.

5 Likes