Are they trying to kill us both?

Cathy recently spent 18 days in the hospital-most of which was in either ICU or CCU. She has congestive heart failure and is going downhill. Anyway, got the first bill yesterday from Emory University hospital. Can you believe $211,935.09?!?!?!

Now, this is before Medicare pays anything on it. But get this-the tiny little podunk hospital here in town was afraid to touch her when she arrived there via ambulance. So they put her on a ventilator and then had her Life Flighted down to Atlanta (about 90 miles from here as the crow flies). Well, that bill arrived today-just under $80,000!!!

Medicare paid them just over $8,000 and our part is $350. I failed to notice that little detail when first opening the envelope but I was positive I was about to be Life Flighted myself!

18 Likes

That’s why we HAVE to have insurance. Because of this garbage collusion between hospitals and insurance companies.
If I have to pay an airlift for $8000, I would probably not need insurance. It would suck, but I would survive.
$80k is bankruptcy level of bill.

This happens for every procedure. Why they get away with those? Because politicians let it happen.

All the best to you and Cathy!

13 Likes

What? You mean Obamacare didn’t work?

10 Likes

That was rhetorical…obviously it didn’t. What is affectionately known as the “Affordable Care Act” by those who champion it is neither affordable nor is it a care act. It never addressed the real issue of spiraling healthcare costs, focusing mainly on the availability of “affordable” health insurance. The simple solution to the healthcare issues in this country is regulating costs. But the ACA is what results when the politicians are in bed with the medical organizations (for-profit corporations) and medical insurance companies. It’s about guaranteeing profits, not guaranteeing decent and affordable healthcare as well as access to it.

@SnuffySmiff I feel for you and your wife, it’s just not right what they’re doing.

12 Likes

Thanks much for the well wishes. I have a girl cousin about the same age as me that is a retired RN who worked for years in a hospital delivery room. We all knew she would either become a nurse or doctor because when we were both about 5 years old she always wanted to ‘play doctor’ every chance we got. And we always got caught but the adults usually just scolded us and told us not to do that anymore-usually with a grin on their face. Anyway, I spoke with her the other evening re: my father who is now in an assisted living home and the coof is now raging there-AGAIN! We were discussing the present state of sorry healthcare in this country when I asked her if all these problems started with the jug-eared one’s ‘healthcare act’. She states ‘well, why do you think I retired so early?’

12 Likes

Sorry to hear about the mrs. And the screw job. I had blue cross blue shield for nearly 20 years when nobama care came out. And my rates was going to go up to 650 dollars a month to keep my blue cross. So i had to cancel cause who the hell can afford 650 a month for insurance that i didnt use but few times a year. Ever since ive been rolling the dice no med insurance.

13 Likes

As long as healthcare is a for profit business this crap will continue to happen. Same thing with pharmaceuticals.

9 Likes

The Medical-Industrial Complex.

8 Likes

I wish the best for you and mrs.

I don’t get the discounts given the insurance companies “negotiated rate”.

6 Likes

@SnuffySmiff I Wish the Best for Your Mrs The medicare System & Private Insurance ‘‘BLOW’S’’
Thank God I Bought a State Farm Medical for the Other 20%
and a Life Flight Membership,$100.00 for a 10,000.00 Flight Out Juno Town to Real Doctors, My last Ambulance ride to Hospital 8 miles or less $1000.00.
As far as to Getting any Help on Assisted living or a Bed in the Old ‘‘F**t’s’’ Home has a 20 year waiting list and no Nurses in Training or Lpn’s etc Since Covid etc.

10 Likes

Sorry to hear about your issues and hope for a speedy recovery for your family.
But guys quit depending on the Government to help out, neither party has put out any New Medical Insurance plans in Congress. For everybody’s health care you must research insurances and then save the money for a good plan for your medical issues. We all would like a new gun or scope, new car etc but health comes first.

7 Likes

Recently I had cervical spine surgery. From start to finish $348,000! Thats not a mistake or typo. I’m retired blue collar and lucky enough to have good insurance. My surgeon’s cut (pun intended) was surprisingly small. And he was a shooter so we were able to talk on common ground
The final bill was stunning though. Who on earth can pay such bills

6 Likes

This is from the FWIW dept. My wife needed an MRI. The insurance company gave us a ration of sh1t so I asked the people who do them how much would it cost. Was quoted $220 so we paid to have it done. Later on her doctor requested another MRI. I saw the bill from the people that did it. They billed the insurance company almost $600. Since most of these companies have contracts with providers there are always write offs and deductions. Guess how much the provider was paid? $220. All those astronomical bills are just bullsh1t to keep costs up and pick as many pockets as possible to cover the people who just throw the bills in the trash.

9 Likes

The premise of insurance-negotiated prices is false. Every time I see a bill, the insurance gets a “negotiated” price 3-10 times smaller. I could easily pay that, if I would save the money that I, and my employer, pay the insurance cartel.
In other fields, a manufacturer would hire an advertiser or a group seller, to open his product to a wider market, to create “need” for that product. Like for example a shoemaker will sell cheaper to Walmart because of exposure he gets.
In healthcare is assumed that the same mechanism works - insurances brings in MORE clients to that healthcare provider, so they get preferential prices.
Well… I don’t get sick more often while on insurance. I don’t get more expensive to cure diseases. This is not increasing the sales of their product. Hospitals don’t see an increased profit from me, because I use insurance. This absolutely is a lie.
Another lie is that the hospitals might benefit more from not dealing with uncollected bills - insurances are good payers. Hospitals claim they have to raise prices for EVERYONE because of the ones that don’t pay their bills. Only if would be a way to find out if somebody has a good standing financial history… Oh, wait, there is! When I buy a car, a cell phone post-paid plan, heck even when I apply for a new credit card they can check in real time my credit worthiness. Hospitals can do the same.
Stabilize the emergencies, but for normal procedures, check the credit worthiness. Make life-long clients by giving them rebates, incentives to return. Domino Pizza, McDonalds can do it…

Politicians would not go for solving the insurance cartel problem, because “insurance” industry is paying their campaigns and we are stupid to vote the corrupt politicians over and over again.

PS: Obamacare was not solving this insurance collusion problem, it was just moving it at federal level.

8 Likes

I’m also pretty sure that hospitals can’t deny someone care because they are deemed unable to pay so a credit check would be a waste of time. IE: a homeless vet.

6 Likes

Emergency - no, they have to “stabilize” you, whatever that means.
Normal procedures - they do it all the time. “No service without insurance and pre-pay!”
Vets are covered by VA, if they go there. Other hospitals don’t have to accept them.

4 Likes

I’m a healthcare worker in GA. At the VA for the last 20+ years.
My opinion: as usual it’s not just one thing:

1. the insurance industry has been out of control for a very long time. Effectively forcing hospitals and providers to charge more to recoup their costs by constantly reducing the compensation and thus controlling the market.
  2. massive, out of control healthcare bureaucracy that is top heavy with management and administration that exist solely to continue existing.
  3. out of control education costs that started with the government guaranteeing student loans. With that guaranteed money the schools began to raise their prices and to change into the progressive, anti-American , administration heavy shitholes that we see posing as centers of higher learning now.

Best wishes to your wife. I’ll be praying for her.

10 Likes

Personally, I feel it promoted and inflated this situation. If I’m not mistaken, the policy was largely penned by the medical insurance companies.

6 Likes

And Now at the End of Admissions Questions is a new One which I Was & Am Totally Still Spinning On’ :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: What Gender? & do Like your Gender? I Could not ‘‘Believe or Wonder’’ Why this has anything to do with The ‘‘Damn Price of Tea’’ in China, Or getting Admitted to B.M.H. for a C.T.Scan.

6 Likes

9 Likes