M*CARBO Brotherhood

Archery: Anyone Into Bows? 🏹

I have a couple bows. One is a near 40 year old Bear Whitetail Hunter II.
The other, was my dad’s Pearson Flame, which I know nothing at all about.
I got the Bear when I was young, but never hunted with it, or shot it much.

Been thinking about going over them and setting them up for target shooting.
I think I’d like to try to do some long range shooting, like 80 to 100 yards.
I’m okay with whatever upgrades needed, but not interested in new bows.
I want to get whatever I can get out of these and just have fun with them.

I don’t know the draw weight of either. Where do I start?

4 Likes

Look up the models to get string lengths for replacements before doing any regular shooting. The strings just dont hold up well to years of long term storage. Im an old school type bow guy, have a martin 45#recurve, and an American Archery 70# compound from the 70s with a wood riser. You really dont " need" upgrades to start shooting, but you do need good strings, get yourself measured and set the bow for your drawlength, and carbon arrows are worth their weight in gold. Theyre practically indestructible.
On both mine i dont run sights, and find about 65yds, i can put the tip of the arrow on what i want to hit ( +windage.)
A three finger leather glove will help too.

5 Likes

I’ve had the Bear for nearly 40 years so I’m familiar enough with it.
It’s old, overweight and outdated, but still looks good. Just like it’s owner.
But the Flame, I know nothing about. Are these decent?

@Stircrayzy, I had a nice recurve years ago. Not quite sure where it went.
Maybe I still have it somewhere around here.

3 Likes

Here’s one I wanted to buy a few years ago, but never did.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, because my old bows still work, as good as i need them to, i havent done much research on pearson, or any others for that matter. I do know theyre a pretty big industry name.
I like that takedown bow, great option for the bugout bag.

4 Likes

I had the Bear Kodiak Hunter 48# pull, got it when I was 15. It took a lot of practice to be able to pull and hold that weight. Quite a few people still enjoy hunting and shooting the old recurve bows. It’s a nostalgia thing kind of like those of us who still enjoy black powder the same way. It’s a real challenge and a connection to our heritage and past.

5 Likes

I have an old Bear compound bow. I’ve had it for 20 years and it was old when I bought it.

I just shot it 2 weeks ago for the first time in a while.
It’s a lot of fun.

6 Likes

My dad left me an old bear compound, but i have no idea where its at or what state its in, he hadnt used it in at least the last 20 years.

5 Likes

I had one similar to this. A Bear variable rate compound. It could be dialed from 45 to 70lb draw. As I recall, 45lbs was the minimum for big game. With it and 1 1/4" broadheads I got my one and only deer with one. My friend and I practiced for months, took an old tire, stuffed it with straw then used carpet to hold it in and would roll it down a hill trying to hit it. Sold it to a co-worker who dry fired it before I could tell him not to. End of bow.

6 Likes

My Bear bow

6 Likes

My dad hunted and shot competition archery from before I was born up until I was 7 or so. He quit about the time the very first compounds coming out. I have his 2 fiberglass re-curves and my moms re-curve still. Unfortunately his are left handed bows so I can’t shoot them.
One of them is 78# draw and I can’t remember what the other one is without looking. Moms is only 35# so it’s not legal for hunting but I used to target shoot with it as a kid.

4 Likes

My first bow was a Bear Cub 30# draw. Then I moved up to a Pearson Spoiler Plus. Shot that thing for years until it was stolen. Now I shoot an Obsession Addiction with a 65# draw. I love that thing. I can put 4 out of 5 arrows into a 3 liter bottle at 70 yards. Great shooter! I “Robin Hooded” an arrow at 20 yards with it. Didn’t mean to, but the look on my buddy’s face was worth the loss of 2 carbon fiber arrow. LOL!

This is a pic of me busting 4 water balloons simultaneously from 20 yards.

7 Likes

:astonished:
Dang! My compound is 70 with 50% letoff and thats a PITA. Your dad mustve been a pretty strong dude!

3 Likes

@Stircrayzy He was indeed!
I’m not left handed, so that was a bit of a handicap, but even when I was in my best physical shape it took all I had to pull a full draw with it.
And you said it. With the let-off of compounds, you can hold and control the bow in firing position, until your steady. Or your target steps/turns into position.

You won’t be doing that with this bow. LOL. At all!
When you draw it back, you better be ready to do something with it. In just moments you will be trembling, and just can’t hold it any longer.

It could really punch my dads hand made, ceder shaft arrows, with broad-heads out there.
It brought down (3-4) of the biggest bull elk there was to be found. And who knows how many mule deer.

3 Likes

Cedar shaft arrows i will try one day. Sounds like Fred Bear himself woulda been proud to call your dad a BloodBrother!

On that note, this may be a proper place to throw a plug out there for a great podcast on the topic. Gives me goosebumps listening to Fred’s old stories.
Fred Bear’s Field Notes
Podcast: https://www.podcastrepublic.net/podcast/1439074023

Subscribe to this podcast: https://beararchery.com/fieldnotes/rss.xml

2 Likes