Ar9 pistol vs Sub 2000

I see that Palmetto has an AR 9mm that takes Glock mags on a Labor Day sale. I’m thinking of selling the Sub 2000 to get that instead. But I have zero experience with the AR platform. So I’m looking for Pros and Cons here. It has a 8 inch barrel so I’m thinking it would be bigger than a folded Sub, but not terribly so. Any thoughts appreciated.

I also don’t want to get booted out of the brotherhood since I won’t have any other Mcarbo parts if I spring on this.

7 Likes

If it’s an AR9 platform (lower) the Mcarbo hammer spring will fit and function fine.

5 Likes

Yea, I can stay!

3 Likes

This is kind of what I’m looking at. Also want to jump before any kind of ban.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-8-9mm-1-10-7-lightweight-m-lok-moe-sba3-pistol.html

3 Likes

Looks good to me.

Sounds like a good plan with the second part of your post :+1:t2:

4 Likes

If your not completely satisfied with your sub 2000 go for it, I did. a 7- 8 inch barrel is perfect in my opinion.

2 Likes

I have zero experience with an AR 9 but it will be my next build. I have to say the sun 2000 is a fun gun but I would trust an ar platform gun for defense a lot more.

2 Likes

Blowback AR’s are touchy. Part of the unlocking resistance comes from hammer geometry and spring. Not saying not to mess with it, but I would do some break in and testing before changing any parts.

6 Likes

Had the same thought process awhile back and sold my Sub2000. It was a fun gun but never had the confidence in it to use it for personal defense or for the protective work I often do. I got a CMMG Banshee AR pistol, 8 in barrel in 40 cal. Takes Glock 22 rd mags. No plastic parts and I have every confidence in this one.

8 Likes

Does that have the radial type delay BCG?

1 Like

@Dane

I’m with you on the confidence part. As much as I love the Mcarbo parts, they don’t make the critical ones. And I’ve seen too many videos (no matter what color the polymer) of these things cracking apart. I don’t trust it and it’s getting time to move on. If I take it to a lgs, I’m gonna get very little. But that might be my only option. Or maybe GunBroker. But I’ve never sold anything on there.

How about taking it to a local gun show. Walk around with it & a 4 sale sign on it.

2 Likes

Yes it does, lighter bolt and softer recoil impulse than typical straight blow back systems

2 Likes

I bought my wife this AR9 - it works great ! no issues ! fires everything! easy to clean- and the price is fair!

3 Likes

I don’t have one but everyone I talk to says good things.
I was thinking about swapping out the barrel and bcgs in my 40 builds if parts are available.

1 Like

I have two AR9’s, one is a PSA and the other I put together on a Spikes lower.
The PSA has a CMC trigger and the Spikes has a Fostech Echo Binary trigger.
Both the guns run 5” barrels and I run both suppressed without any issues. In order to run the Fostech I used an American Resistance bolt which I highly recommend for this platform.
Both of mine have LRBHO which works quite well.
Magazines can be finicky so I stick mostly with Glock and ETS.
Both of my guns run great and I did the same as some others here and sold my Sub2K.

3 Likes

“The bolt carrier group is compatible with most aftermarket fire control groups.”
I know that the CMC trigger works well but can’t say for sure with others.

2 Likes

That CMC single stage is one of the best bang for the buck fcg’s out there. I usually buy a couple when I see a sale.

1 Like

https://palmettostatearmory.com/cmc-trigger-single-stage-tactical-flat-bow-3-5lbs-91503.html

2 Likes

Yea, ummn…you guys are WAY over my head right now. I only ever held an AR once.

3 Likes