M*CARBO Brotherhood

Ar15 lowers aggravating me!

Brothers, I got touch or OCD amongst other things! The last 2 lowers I put together the buffers are sliding back and forth! U tilt it up it slides back, tilt it down it slides forward! The noise is aggravating me! Is there a good way to stop it? Besides duck tape! Lol!

4 Likes

I might not be the best guy to answer this but if your buffer is sliding via gravity inside the buffer tube/receiver extension, it sounds to me like your buffer spring is missing. The spring should push the buffer against the buffer retainer and it shouldn’t move unless acted on by your thumb in take-down configuration or by the BCG when in use.

OT, nice dog. :grinning:

10 Likes

Yep, the only time the buffer should move is when the BCG acts upon it either through charging the gun or firing the gun.

6 Likes

@Cbreaz note items 72,107,108,109
72: buffer spring
107: buffer
108: buffer retainer pin
109: buffer retainer pin spring
Hope this helps.

6 Likes

That’s a rather long buffer you’re sporting there… :grinning:

6 Likes

Hell I’m trying to function on too little sleep! It’s not the buffer, it’s what’s in the buffer! I can just take the end off and put a piece of foam or something in it!

5 Likes

Again, others might be better qualified but I think that’s a counterweight and I think limiting it’s movement would affect the functionality of the buffer, I could be wrong on that…guys?

9 Likes

Some of them do rattle a little bit, I wouldn’t modify it, maybe source a buffer that doesn’t rattle.

8 Likes

What if I put a little grease in it? Sounds like it’s sliding back and forth on sand paper!

3 Likes

I hear the spring on mine when in use, but never really noticed the buffer itself making noise. Then again, a lot of other things rattle on my ARs, as well as the operator… :grinning:

8 Likes

Was going to suggest a little oil but that is above my pay grade…

5 Likes

I took my dpms down and it’s moving but it’s really quite, I never noticed it.

5 Likes

Ain’t nothing to do but try it! I can always clean it back out!

3 Likes

If you do, I think I’d go with a light coat of oil, no grease. I would think something of higher viscosity could possibly affect functionality…but I am not an authority on AR buffers, just trying to help.

Come to think of it, I’m not really an authority on anything, but I digress… :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

That’s probably a good idea! Might be that I can buff it up some too. My expertise pretty much pertains to moving dirt and drinking beer! Lol

7 Likes

I never really noticed mine. If course I never bother to shake it when itd out. Between each weight is a small spacer. I can’t remember if its felt of some kind. I dont think it would matter if you added a bit of width or just add another space under the bumper . That little bit of weight should not affect function.

I have never heard it when installed in my rifle.

But then I have not paid much attention to it.

You.might want to install and see if you still.hear it first.

5 Likes

Well the oil wasn’t enough, so I ended up coating the inside of the buffer with oil and then coating the weights with grease. No more shurt, shurt back and forth and they shoot fine! Thanks all!

6 Likes

Liquid Wrench ---- ( Dry Lube )Yellow top on can

4 Likes

Thanks! Probably won’t gum up like grease as it ages!

4 Likes

If all else fails, just get another buffer. Just saying.

6 Likes