AR Enthusiasts: What's Next?

Got a 80% lower gonna probably do a retro 20 inch M16 style build not sure yet if not a pistol got save some pennies first

7 Likes

I’ve had a Aero Precision lower and a 10-22 waiting at my FFL all week.
Never could get off work early enough to swing by and pick them up.
Finally got a day off tomorrow and will be up there first thing in the morning.
The lower goes on a dedicated 22 that I’ve been running a lower from another build.
Gotta switch those lowers out tomorrow, then I’m done for a while.
Just be window shopping, gathering info and planning the next build.

7 Likes

After reading all the fine posts of my brothers, I decided to build my first AR pistol. Got a stripped lower from my local dealer (cousin). Broke out the plastic and ordered a 10.5" .300 BO with a SBA3 brace kit from PSA. Thought it might give me a little more velocity. Easy to assemble with the Mrs. helping. Debated on whether to get a trigger kit or go with the mil-spec. Mil-spec came in at a smooth 5lbs. 9oz. which is good for me. Also got a Sig Romeo5 they had on sale. Anyone have suggestions on blasting ammo? Hornady 110gr. Black is a little expensive for paper.

4 Likes

300 aac is always going to be a bit on the expensive side unfortunately

4 Likes

I know I want to wait awhile before starting a new build,
but I am tempted to buy a $80 16" 300 BLK barrel.
Then I would swap out with one of my 223/5.56 ARs.
I have one 5.56 with 1:7 twist and the other with 1:9 twist.
I would swap out the 1:9 twist and use my FDE mags.
All black mags for 223/5.56. All FDE mags for 300.

3 Likes

I’d like to put together a 7.62x25 build that takes pps mags. But so far I can’t find anything. All the folks that did work with it a few years ago seemed to have stopped. It’s very disappointing bc that’s such an awesome round!

1 Like

4 years old but might give you some sources…
2 Likes

I want to build one of these. by far my favorite cartridge. propritory parts though, far as i can tell

If I ever came into the coin, I would be hard pressed to choose between the Ohio Ordnance B.A.R. at $4000 and change and the Phoenix Weaponry Christine in 45/70 at $4800 starting price… who knows, I i was to marry again it would be to Christine , might have to go to Vegas and have a Elvis weddin all proper like…:+1::+1::+1:
6 Likes

Finnish my 9mm and fine tune my Long Range 5.56.

4 Likes

You could build a 45/70 Kurtz aka .458 SOCOM? Something to think about, a lot easier on the pocket.

3 Likes

@Squidder_K

What is ‘easier on the pocket’ with ANY rebuild? I had just finished two Custom 22’s. I am so incredibly thankful of them turning out so wonderfully but I cannot imagine a build for under $600? I am sure that it will require the purchase of a jig and some ‘other’ new tool purchase? Big smiles!

3 Likes

Do you already own an AR platform rifle? If so you are only building the Upper not the entire rifle. So that can be done for under $600 if you are wise and shop carefully for the parts you need. A quick internet search showed complete uppers for $595 so it can be done.

2 Likes

@Squidder_K

Hey, Kevin, no I do not own an AR style platform rifle. I wish I have, though! I realize it could be had (specials for just over $400 with applicable transfer and taxes.) Then there is the matter of replacing the upper assembly, which either makes a 2 for 1 set up or a designated 22 design. If I had the extra pocket scratch, I would not mind buying the 80% receiver and opting to build it. I have researched that, but not as extensive as the 80% 22 receiver market. There are a few companies that make an AR platform receiver in which one can customize a designated ‘receptacle’ to house a complete assembly, but calibers would not be interchangeable. I guess it all depends what one is interested in doing?

4 Likes

@Squidder_K

Palmetto in SC seem to have the rockin’ deals for all your AR needs… I believe ‘regular deals’ for uppers averaging $279. Check em’ out if you’re in the market, brother!

3 Likes

Lonewolf …

I think I recall you mentioning you received a drill press from your beloved fairly recently. Am I correct?

I’m asking 'cause I may have an untouched Polymer80 80% that I’d like to see you build. I bought a few when Polymer80 was a startup so mine were preordered before they ever sold a thing.

I’m willing to gift one to you. When I finally got around to doing my first build - I built on a forged lower 'cause it was wqell south of $50. If you want it … send me an address to ship to.

This post actually started here: @lonewolf … I’ve observed a bug setting up shop in your mental space. I’m familiar with the infection, so I figured this tidbit may prove helpful to you one day: I strongly suggest you start with a pistol purchase or build. If you do a build - document its start as a pistol carefully. I say this 'cause current BATFE logic makes it legal to build a pistol into a rifle and back into a pistol - you can use the lower how you like. But if you buy it as a rifle or build it as a rifle first - it will never be legal as a pistol without registering it as a SBR.

6 Likes

@Dred

Trying to send you an email, but I am getting a message that you are ‘not accepting messages at the moment…’ :smiley:

1 Like

Just pm through the board. I legit only open email when I’m expecting a message I requested.

3 Likes

Damn Buck, why did you have to post the link for Phoenix Weaponry 45/70? That is Badass!! I was actually at Bass Pro looking for a Marlin 45/70 tonight after shooting Miltons yesterday.

5 Likes

I looked into 45/70 AR builds a while back. Kinda fell in love with Christine.
Read about having to have the rim of the cartridge milled down, turned me off.
I think you can get rimless cartridges, but price and availability may be an issue.

6 Likes

you can either buy the form cutter directly from Phoenix, or buy the brass already cut from them, I have a lathe, so i would have the form cutter as well, I used to do a lot of wildcat ammo, slight modification to a case no big deal. you get 50 empty brass from phoenix with the rifle, and they are gearing up to sell brass in bulk…

4 Likes