M*CARBO Brotherhood

AR-15 Rifle Issues

I built this AR-15. It has a 18" 223 wylde upper and a magpul lower build kit all from PSA.
it went together with no issues. I went to the range and it didn’t cycle at all. I charged the firearm and pulled the trigger and it went pew. Went to pull the trigger again and nothing, repeated the process five times. I went home and tore into the trigger group and found nothing wrong the parts were all in correctly and functioning normally without firing live ammo. I went back to the range and took 5.56 nato ammo with me instead of the cheap 223 steel stuff. Fired the weapon the first time and got a double fire. then noting again unless I charged the rifle. So I have removed the trigger group and installed a PSA 3.5lb drop in trigger group. Going to the range on Monday to see if this takes care of the issue.
Guys I forgot one piece of information. When it does fire the spent casing is ejected from the fire and a new one is chambered. I end up ejecting the unfired shell and putting a new one in and it fires. it repeats this process. I will check the gas block and tube in the morning.

IMG_20200513_211130774

8 Likes

Doesn’t sound like a trigger issue at all. More like gas block isn’t aligned.

12 Likes

So if it isn’t cycling but fires when you manually charge it, doesn’t sound like a trigger problem, sounds like possibly:
1.) Gas block is improperly installed, either: blocking the gas port, or leaking gas pressure.
2.) gas port is too small
3.) Gas tube is improperly installed
4.) gas tube is too short
5.) BCG is not functioning correctly.
Load one round in mag, charge gun, fire. Does bolt lock back? Does it lock back manually?

12 Likes

I had this same issue a few weeks ago when the set screws loosened up on my gas block.
Completely forgot to use Loctite on them. It was an easy fix, still had fun.

Good looking rifle you have there.

8 Likes

This would be where I’d start.

7 Likes

Thank you, I will check out the gas block and the tube in the morning

4 Likes

I’m so confused. @KM55 tells us the rifle is ejecting the spent casing, loading a fresh casing, but has a dead trigger until he manually cycles the action.

How is this a gas problem? Ejects a spent case and picks up a fresh round when it fires. Trigger dead - no fire. Charge by hand ejecting a fresh round and replacing it with the next in line. Fire, rinse, repeat.

My question is simple … is it making it all the way into battery? Did you install one of them forward assist things you can press to give it a little push confirming battery?

And I may have answered my own question if it has “almost” enuff gas to cycle. I figure grabbing and chambering a round indicates enuff, but …

5 Likes

@Dred this part was missing when we answered. Sorry for the confussion.

Now it sounds like the bolt isn’t resetting the hammer, still possible gas issue.
And would also explain the double fire.

7 Likes

@KM55 If the gas tube/block are installed correctly, see step 2 below.

7 Likes

It does sound like the bolt is not going into battery. Like the guys recommended, check the bolt and the gas system.
Good luck.

8 Likes

That bit of info makes all the difference in the world
Grabbing the next round does not confirm enough gas, LRBHO does that. Step 1 load one round and fire with the empty mag in place. Bolt lock back FULLY? (Bolt catch on face of bolt, not just caught on the bolt carrier)
Second,
Need to determine FCG condition. @KM55 load 2 rounds and fire. After firing keep the trigger all the way back, and then slowly relaease, do you feel the hammer release from the disconnector and fall to the sear? Yes, pull trigger, does the hammer drop to firing pin? If yes, next step is what @Dred is referring to, BCG not going fully into battery.
Better edit this, gun pointing down range through the entire FCG check drill!

8 Likes

Went to the range today o see if the issue was cleared up with the new trigger group installed. I am happy to say all is good in northeast florida. The rifle went bang every time I pulled the trigger. Now to figure out what part of the old trigger group was bad and replace it so I have a complete backup. The new trigger has a 3# pull. It’s smooth as silk. Thinking about getting two more for the AR pistol and one for the next build.

6 Likes

I want to thank everyone with all the suggestions. I did check out most of them today and everything was working as should be. It just happened to be the trigger. Thank you again to the greatest bunch of guys on the internet. Stay safe and keep the lead heading down range. Monday I am going to the range to get the 4x12x44 scope and the 45 degree iron sights all set up. starting with 25yds, then 50yds, & finally 100yds. I will go another day to do 200 yds. Everyone have a wonderful weekend

10 Likes

Glad you got it squared away and hope you had a good time shooting it.

5 Likes

For clarification, just what was the issue? Had to be something less obvious than a broken spring or missing pin. Perhaps the sear was the problem?

4 Likes

I’m interested as well…

3 Likes

Haven’t had time to look at the trigger group yet. Going to mic the entire set and compare to another set. Plus look at springs. It has to be something to cause the malfunction. I will post my findings.

4 Likes

Interested as well.

Sometimes a backward hammer spring can be an issue.

DR

3 Likes

First thing I checked. Still looking into the mil spec trigger group I had installed the first time around. so far nothing is jumping out and saying “It’s me I’m at fault”. Just have to keep looking.

2 Likes