AR-15 243 WSSM Build

Hello all. I am newer to modern hunting rifle and am putting together my first build. I ordered a D-Tech 243 WSSM upper with a Shilen barrel in stainless steel. I need to purchase eveything else below that to complete it. They did not recommend a particular lower just any AR-15 lower. I was hoping to buy a complete rifle lower for this upper. I am lost as to how to pick out the lower for it. Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thank you.

5 Likes

Figure ou what you can get your hands on and report back. My goto for 100% lowers is Aero Precision, but there are literally 10 or 20 different manufactures that would work. Anderson, Spikes, New Frontier, PSA and on and on…
If you want a traditional look go “Forged” not “Billet” or “Forged Billet”

6 Likes

Thank you. There is so much out there and that is part of the problem. Where do you start? Aero sounds like a good start. Thank you! I will report back.

3 Likes

Was just jogging by and .243 caught my eye, 1st time I had seen .243 in an AR. Cool Stuff.

4 Likes

Cool in a small frame platform. Smaller/ lighter then the large frame 308 based 243.
Waiting for a rage report!

3 Likes

You got it! It will take about 6 months to get it. Its only one guy making this.

4 Likes

I knew there were .243’s based on an AR-10 but was not aware they made any on the smaller AR-15 lower.
I have been considering this one for awhile. My first AR-15 was a Rock River Arms Operator II.
Really like it and RR is one of the few I can find that offers the AR platform in .243.

6 Likes

This is one of the best deals I’ve seen in a while. Anderson is good quality.

5 Likes

Looks like a good product. Thanks for the tip. I book marked the site.

2 Likes

That Predator HP looks sweet!

2 Likes

The .243 is such a great caliber if I lived in a much more open area that would be my choice. 150 yards would be considered a very long shot here.

3 Likes

Good customer service as well, stand behind their products.

3 Likes

The only issue with any of the WSSM cartridges in an AR15 platform is having feeding issues, along with finding brass to load. I don’t recall any of the big name firearm companies that make bolt action rifles that even chamber guns in any of the WSSM cartridges.
Winchester only produces a short run of brass for them once a year, and from what I’ve seen only one other company is supporting the WSSM brass, and they show to be out of stock in every cartridge.

Good luck!

5 Likes

I not sure how I will handle ammo. I heard there is other brass you can use it just needs to sized…the 25? I have a guy that builds these rounds and is very reliable. Its not cheap around $50 for 20. I have a Winchester Model 70 in 243 WSSM also. The guy at D-Tech said a lot of the feed problems come from the mag not being designed correctly. I hope it it all works out. Because of the purchase I had to buy another safe. Now I have more room for futher expansion!!

4 Likes
  • on Aero Precision. Also my go to…
1 Like

Its a 243 WSSM. Its a lot shorter aand fatter.