M*CARBO Brotherhood

AR 10 feeding issues

I built an AR10 and I’m having feeding issues. It always stoves pipes and double feeds after the first round. I clear the malfunction and it runs great after that. Every time.

4 Likes

Have you tried a different magazine? It sounds like a mag issue.

4 Likes

@aadavis94 AR10s are notorious for this. Especially homebuilds. Partly why I haven’t taken the plunge to build one.

4 Likes

The best AR10 is an M1A! :grin::+1:

5 Likes

when i built mine, I had the same exact issue. I checked head space that wanst it, changed magazines (had four, bought 2 more) checked bore. beat my head against the wall a bit. then I looked at my ammo. I will never use Winchester white box again. I had bought a case for break in, out of 1 box in that case, I had 12 bullets that were either casedistorted, dented , neck distorted, or dirty. didnt notice it loading a magazine till i started looking at the rounds.
I had bought the cheapest on sale i could to break in, and it bit me in the butt. if you have checked all the above reasons, check your ammo.

4 Likes

I’ve used several different brands, federal, Hornady, Winchester. They all do it.

4 Likes

No I haven’t. I only have the one magazine for it. Next time I’m in town I might see if I can find me another.

2 Likes

what BCG you using, and did you check headspace after torque?

2 Likes

Hello, @aadavis94
It does sound like a mag issue, but, how about a complete description of your build.
AR10 (Armilite) or AR308 (DPMS, et all)?
Barrel length
Gas system, carbine, midlength, rifle, pistol? Gas tube actual length
Gas block
Upper/ lower manufacturer
BCG manufacturer
Buffer weight/ length
Buffer spring length/ manufacturer
Extension tube internal depth, (7", 7-5/8") manufacturer
This is the process we go through on the AR308 forum at least once a week, tried and true process!

4 Likes

AR308
18" barrel
Carbine length gas system
.750 gas block
11.75" gas tube
Aero precision M5 upper and lower
Aero precision BCG
Buffer length 3.25" weight is 3 oz
Aero precision M4 carbine buffer spring
Aero precision M4 carbine extension tube

OK, some comments:
Carbine length: I think you may have a “308” mid length. Take a look up the mag well and see if your gas tube hits center of the cutout or short of it. Usually 308 mids take a 12-1/16" tube. Carbine length take a 9-3/4" I believe.
20190824_132205
Buffer: Stick a tape measure down the buffer tube/ extension, I believe the M4 is 7" +/-, if so the 3-1/4" buffer is probably too long.
Photo is a AR15 tube internal 7". The Armalite AR10 tube is 7-5/8" inside depth, also Voltr A5 Is 308 length.
bufferTube
Also buffer should probably be in the 5oz range +
Spring should be Armalite EA1095. other options: Tubbs Flatwire or sprinco orange or red?
I’ll dig up some more photos, but best suggestion would be to introduce yourself over at the 308AR forum those guys really know their stuff, that is where I get my info and my 308AR’s run very smooth. Pistol and mid.

2 Likes

@aadavis94
Some more photos
This is with 11-3/4" tube. too short/ out of spec.

These next 2 show proper BCG clearance front and rear.
Buffer and BCG in extension without spring installed. I didn’t need quarters behind buffer but some add $.50 or so worth so BCG doesn’t ram into the back of the receiver “Ears”
All this information is from the helpful folks at 308AR.com. Photos are from my builds. All the short stuff was from an Anderson AM 10 that was built before Anderson realized that AR 15 and AR10AR308 are different. beasts.

4 Likes

Here are some sample of the Armalite length extensions

https://www.vltor.com/shop/featured/re-a5-a5-receiver-extension/

Here is the entire setup from armalite, 7-5/8" tube, 5.5 oz heavy buffer, EA1095 spring. $70.00 shipped

1 Like

Your right I do have the mid length gas tube. My buffer is 3.8 oz. I think I’m gonna get a heavier buffer and try that.

1 Like

good place to start. recoil system is key to a happy gun. If you stick with the AR15 length extension tube may want to go to the sprinco orange spring. (or even red) Quartercircle 10 good place to go. I know from experience the Tubbs 308 spring is too long when compressed for the 7" tube. At the risk sounding redundant, get the Armalite length tube, ea1095 spring, and a 3-1/4" 5.4 to 5.8 oz buffer. You will notice the difference in felt recoil and dependability!

2 Likes

Also just another thing to check are the feed ramps. If there is a lip transition from the upper to barrel extension it might cause the cartrige to jump while being fed into the chamber. You can also try loading the mag 1 round short. Might be to much spring tension on the first round. Then again these might be 2 unrelated issues. Stove piping can be a mag issue or feeding issue, double feeing could be a extractor/ejector issue not being strong enough to pull the spent cartridge out. Like a broken extractor lip.

1 Like

@aadavis94 Here is a good image of some different feed ramp conditions found on the web.

@CatFood I’d bet the majority of the issues that mask themselves as what you describe is bolt unlocking or trying to unlock too soon and / or bolt slamming back and fourth way too fast due to AR15 recoil parts in a 308 build. Damaged extractors, rim ripped off the case, fail to what ever, etc.
I would first look at timing. Not bragging, I know a lot of you have way more experience then I do, but I rebuilt an Anderson 308 last year only original parts left are the bolt and barrel, shoots 100% flawless, poly or steel mags, and built a 308 pistol last month from scratch, 80% lower, no name upper, 12.5" barrel, custom length 11-3/16" gas tube cut from a rifle length, nailed it first time to the range 100% flawless. Rules 1,2,and 3 Recoil system, recoil system, …
Also a some talk on the 308AR forum about flat faced ejectors causing issues with feeding on the left side of the mag.
Here is a picture of a nice round one in my Anderson:

:grin:

1 Like

@Albroswift Here are pictures of my feed ramp, bolt face and gas tube. How do these look?

1 Like

bolt and feed rampant look awesome
gas tube need to be 12-1/16" should hit dead center of the radius cutout.

We’ll get that thing running smooth with a little work. When a 308AR is set up right with timing and recoil system you won’t believe how much you do away with felt recoil. I was worried about the 308 shorty but even with a carbine gas system it’s a pleasure to fire.
EDIT: You didn’t put barrel manufacture in build description, Aero? It doesn’t look like the barrel extension feed ramps exactly line up with the receiver ramps, but close. Wouldn’t hurt to blend them in a little bit, after you have done all the major stuff. Don’t get too carried away.

3 Likes