M*CARBO Brotherhood

Anyone have issues with the magpul magazine that shipped with the sub-2k?

Like the title says. My first several trips to the range I used a genuine Glock G17 magazine and had zero issues.
The Magpul G17 magazine fails to feed, often.

4 Likes

Perhaps you may have gotten some old stock or the molds are out of spec again…
https://www.facebook.com/magpul/posts/ok-we-screwed-up-after-initial-release-of-the-glock-pmag-17-gl9-a-few-days-ago-w/958732774139072/

4 Likes

I did some testing unloading the mag by hand, and the follower keeps hanging up in the mag body.
It will mostly function with brass cases, but absolutely will not function with steel cases.The magazine is a gen 5 spec pmag.

I’ll see if keltec will warranty it, but I will likely just use genuine Glock magazines from here on out. I’ve never had a problem with those, but other aftermarket mags (promag) have had similar issues.

4 Likes

I’d say tear em down, check for burrs, scratches, spring clearance and try coating the followers with a good molybendium spray.
Next thing would be the drawn out process of mapping a magpul against a genuine with some calipers to check for dimensional issues.

5 Likes

All i use in my g17 sub2k is factory glock mags and i have several KCI Korean g17 mags including 50 round drum and i havent ever had any issues with them. And like Thatoneguy said take mags apart and make sure everything is smooth and slides easy. Even the factory mags will have burrs and rough edges that want let them run smoothly. Quality control is a huge let down on allmost everything these days. I should also mention that i personally dont shoot or even buy steel case pistol ammo.

5 Likes

I normally don’t shoot steel cased ammo either, but with the current supply issues, I’m only shooting what I can purchase before I go to the range. I’m not dipping into my reserves.

Lately, the only factory 9’s I’ve found for a reasonable price were Winchester manufactured steel cased. The sub2k ran them flawlessly with genuine G17 mags.

3 Likes

I didn’t have any issues with the magpul mag it came with, or other glock magpul mags I have. They all work and feed perfectly. I bought them between 2 to 3 years ago though.

Does the steel cased ammo feed in the stock glock mag?

4 Likes

The steel cased ammo feeds 100% reliably in the genuine glock mags I’ve used.

4 Likes

I purchased 2 more of the magpul mags and have had zero problems with any of them so far. Ben using brass fmj ammo tho.

Lesau

3 Likes

I’ve done fine with Mag Puls ( so far ) but if it comes down to a shtf scenario, ALWAYS stick with the one who got ya here !

1 Like

I come from the old school of “why pay twice what something is worth when somebody makes something better for less”?
So, my mags of choice are ETS. No fail to feed, no fail to fire, no fail to eject… and they come in 17 and 33 round models. What goes in the Glock also goes in the Sub2K and my PAK9. Hard to make a mistake about the contents of a translucent mag also… Jacketed, painted lead or hollowpoint. Just reach into the bag and pull out the first one I come to.

1 Like

Also have had zero issues with ETS mags as well both in the s2k and glock. They are cheap, but they also feel cheap too. Nothing against them, they work flawlessly. But don’t know how many mag drops they can handle. That’s my only issue with ets’s, while I’ve dropped mag after mag of glock and magpul, I’m hesitant to do the same with ets.

1 Like

Yep you drop a full 33 round mag on concrete, on its edge, kick it 3 times down the steps and it could show a scuff… put it in an envelope, send it to ETS and they will send you back a brand new one, no questions asked.
Åint’ Murica great…

1 Like

I dont know why ETS would warranty neglect and abuse… but good for you. I would simply expect a quality part to hold up to normal wear and tear. I have 9mm and .40 ETS high cap mags, and have yet to trial them enough to have an opinion, but they feel sturdier than P-Mags so far.

1 Like

I left the magpul loaded for a few days to stretch the spring, then disassembled it for an inspection. Everything seemed in spec. I sprayed a little Pam (cooking spray) inside it before reassembly. It’s working fine now.

With the Pro mag I used the dremmel and smoothed some burs that were on the feed lips. I have tested it yet.

2 Likes

The magpuls I had previously work fine with steel and brass and the KCI mags are flawless also, but the mag that came with my sub 2k wont drop out when released. Have not shot any ammo through it yet though.

1 Like

Welcome aboard @PapaJ
Sounds like kind of a common problem for some. Let us know more about yourself and your Sub2K.
Into yourself here…

2 Likes