Anyone good at algebra or trigonometry?

Working on getting my new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite w/ factory iron sights zero’d in.

The user manual is not specific regarding how many minutes of angle (moa) each click is calibrated for. It says:

"Turning the top (elevation) sight adjustment screw clockwise lowers the impact of the shot.
Turning the horizontal (windage) sight adjustment screw clockwise moves the impact of the
shot to the right.

No hint as to how far at what range it moves. So, I call Ruger and was told:

“Each click is 1/4 inch at 15 yards.”

What if i want to zero at 20 yards or ??? yards other than 15. I found this web site that makes use of that info:

Kevin’s Workbench Scope Click Calculator

My Ballistic-X phone app can tell me the ATZ (adjust to zero) in inches or moa or mil for a group of shots and a given aim point of the target at the distance I am shooting. Kevin’s web page can tell me how clicks to make for that adjustment.

Beats the Hell out of trying to convert inches to moa to clicks, etc. :smiley:

Strelok Pro can tell you how many clicks if you can tell Strelok how many clicks per moa - which is usually noted on the scope turrets - but not on my Ruger iron sights or in the manual or over the phone from customer service. I gave up trying to work the math when I found Kevin’s Workbench.

And then sometimes shooting a few rounds at the target and guesstimating clicks works too - lol. But Technology!! :laughing:

:turkey: :giddy_guns: :turkey:

4 Likes

1/4" at 15 yards is approximately 1.667 MOA is what my slide rule says… maybe.

4 Likes

I got 1.665 MOA, but my old slide rule is gettin hard to read…

5 Likes

Why make it so complicated? Bench rest your pistol and click it as close as possible then do a standard rear sight adjustment.
As the pistol sits in the bench rest following adjusting the rear sight with clicks to as close as possible, pivot the pistol to center the rear sight directly in line with the center of the bullseye. Measure the offset of the front sight in relationship to the rear sight center and then drift the rear sight that amount opposite of your shot impact on the target.
When I say drift, I mean pusher to protect the sight.
To finely adjust the elevation the elevation has to be corrected by adjusting its physical height of the sight the same way up and down.

Do all the math you think you need to do, but regardless, you will still have to push the rear sight to make a fine adjustment. Making witness marks and using precision measuring tools will still boil down to multiple pushes or wacks with a hammer and brass punch.
The real question is how to make precision wacks and pushes. Unlike a torque wrench God didn’t give you a force click in your fingers, hands, elbows or arms. You will probably either make multiple mini adjustments for perfection or end up researching principals of “hold over.”

3 Likes

Yeah, I went with 1", instead of the extended decimal. Lazy but close enough for horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.

5 Likes

A bigger hammer? just kidding - thanks for your input. Definitely seems like the direct method!

:turkey: :gun: :turkey:

3 Likes

I am concerned about the number of potential snipers in this forum. The limitations imposed by my eyesight make much of this irrelevant. LOL

6 Likes

Ok, now it’s making some sense to me - 1.67 moa per click seems to check out:
yds inches
100 1.67 (1 moa is approx 1 inch at 100 yds so 1.67 moa would be 1.67 inches or close)
50 0.835
25 0.4175
12.5 0.20875

So, 1/4 inch (0.25) falls between 25 and 12.5 yards - looks to be correct.

I am not gonna wait for the Big R Hammer to go on sale at MidwayUSA - gonna order tonight :wink:

:turkey: :telescope: :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Hold over until you have to resort to just pointing towards the target. This is what laser sights and red dots are for. Also large steel targets. Sound is clearer than sight.

3 Likes

To be honest here, I have a degree in mathematics. I use the sights on my 22s but point shoot with the 1911. Applied mathematics(physics)is one of my love languages. Optimizing useful zero on a rifle, and exterior ballistics. I also like shooting, so when it comes to iron sight adjustment……sometimes I shout and adjust just for the satisfaction of shooting. Once I set it all up I don’t adjust. I log the 1st zero, apex, second zero and usually max range out to a .” circle. Stick it in my database and carry on. Sorry I missed the discussion. Your mathematical calculations are quite precise. I enjoy the extrapolation of verifiable data. It is also great to hear it in use by others!:abacus:

3 Likes

I was back in college 10+ years older than my class mates. For the life of me. I could not memorize the quadratic equation:
much less:
I asked my instructor: how do you do it? “Numbers are my friends,” he said. Yea, mine too but I just can’t remember their names! :rofl:

Thanks for input from someone who actually knows what they are doing - unlike yours truly.

:turkey: :telescope: :giddy_guns: :turkey:

6 Likes

It’s E=MC² IIRC :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Does this equation work on muzzleloaders? Am asking for a friend… :sunglasses:

4 Likes

If you mean this one, I think it works for pretty much everything we know (currently)… :nerd_face: :wink:

3 Likes

On a muzzle loader you have to start at the front end of the equation and work back from there.

1 Like

K.I.S.S.
I’m with Mack; “Why make it so complicated?”
Maybe this will help you; One Shot Zero? Easy Boresighting Method - YouTube

2 Likes

I always figure when i start shooting ammo that costs more than .50/rd i would look into the math more. Until then i shoot a few, make a couple clicks and repeat til im satisfied that I’M the variable that needs the adjustment in the formula.

2 Likes

@Mic …a degree in mathematics…

I think I have solved the equation:

equation

where

• D is the projectile drop [inches].
  • v0 is the initial projectile velocity [ft/sec].
  • R is the projectile horizontal travel distance [yards].
  • G is a constant with value 41.697 [ft[sup]0.5[/sup]/sec].
  • Fm (R)= F0-3 n R/4

Answer:
Longer - Slower…
Slower - Lower!

:turkey: :giddy_guns: :telescope: :gun: :turkey:

2 Likes

Boys have a penis. Girls have a vagina. That’s all I remember from high school.

5 Likes

Now you have to be a biologist to make those claims

5 Likes