Any Reloaders Out There?

I’m posting this question in another 10/22 topic but value the advice from the people who post here.

My 10/22 does not reliably cycle CCI Standard Velocity ammo. Just got a Silencer Co 22 can so want to do what I can to address this. Just does not make sense to shoot supersonic ammo. Anybody have this cycling issue and if so, how did you address it? I’ve got the Kidd spring kit on order. Looking to get maybe a lighter or maybe better engineered bolt? Any other ideas?
Thx.

3 Likes

I have had the same 10/22 since 1988. I make sure the mags are clean and bullet lube free. I lube the bolt with CLP or remoil or 30wt mineral oil. I have had more trouble with the mags slowing down the cycling due to crud buildup. I would like to try some of the powder coated bullets, they seem to be drier. The can should help with cycling issues by adding back pressure. Are you using factory 10 round rotary mags? They seem to cause me the least trouble.

5 Likes

Almost always the 10 round factory mags, but you have me thinking… I’ll take a look at the mags I’m using.
Thanks.

1 Like

If I have ever had a problem with a 10/22 it was dirty magazines. I would start by cleaning the mags and eliminate that potential issue and go from there.

In case you haven’t taken them apart recently here is a pretty good video

7 Likes

New project I’ll leave these here.

I’m going to order some copper to try them out. I just ran a test program on aluminum I had laying around. Trying to make something similar to a Barnes ttsx 6.5mm 100gr but this has a hybrid ogive…… who knows how it will work but it’s something fun to mess around with.

2 Likes

Nice! What kind of lathe did you run it on? Control?

2 Likes

@Texprep

Mazak qtn250 with the matrix control.

Just messing around really I’m running the 350my on some parts with a long run time so I had some free time to play.

3 Likes

Just loaded up some .243 as I wait on the Rock River Arms AR-10 chambered in .243 I have on order. Latest from RRA is they are waiting on barrels from Wilson Combat. Have loaded some 100gr. BTSP, 95gr SST, both Hornady and proven loads in my bolt action Savage. Loaded with 45.3 gr. VihtaVuori powder. The new load is Hornady 80gr GMX (now referred to as CX by hornady). These are loaded with 43.5gr. Ramshot Hunter.
All loads are using Federal 210M primers.

3 Likes

I respect a man with the confidence to load ammo for a yet to be reamed chamber!
The RRA should be a great platform for that caliber. What model?

3 Likes

@Albroswift, The Predator HP LAR-8M. Upgraded the trigger to the chrome two stage trigger.

3 Likes

I remember waiting 51 weeks for my Rock River 6.8 to be built and delivered. They make great rifles though. I want to swap out my trigger ever since I shot a CMC. Their national match trigger doesn’t compare unfortunately. Other than that it’s been perfect and accurate. I hope you enjoy it.

3 Likes

@MrMachinist, My first AR was a RRA Operator II. Great shooting firearm but heavy. CMC triggers are in all my AR’s except one. The trigger that came in my operator 2 is now in my DPMS Patrolman. Here is a pic of one of my CMC triggers installed in one of the AR’s.

4 Likes

+1 for CMC

4 Likes