Any Reloaders Out There?

You may find the pure lead to be too soft you may need to mix in some harder alloys to bump it up a little. I’ve had good luck using cleaned range scrap I bought. I also have some pure and Lino type to mix in if needed.

5 Likes

I’d recommend blending in linotype or powdered tin. Leading is already a huge problem in .22lr, even with harder alloys and lube/copper wash.

3 Likes

Powder coating them will help reduce leading. All you need is some good powder a toaster oven and some non stick foil. Super easy to do.

Couple links to help anyone looking for lead or powder coat

https://www.pbcastco.com/shop

Well for the powder check the cast boolit forum in the vender section for a guy named smoke. He has powder that will dry tumble bullets and you can. Order from him. Otherwise it’s a guessing game what works and what doesn’t unless you read a bunch of forum pages on pcd cast bullets.

4 Likes

Thanks for the input guys. What percentages would you suggest? Got another question or two. Which solvent have you used in mixing the primer compound and why? Better ignition? Greater velocity? Any pitfalls to be aware of? Did you find the reloading data to be accurate?
Thanks again for your input and advice.

3 Likes

You’ll want 8-10% tin. More than 10% won’t help, and will result in an alloy that’s too hard. Less than 8% will be too soft to make much difference, and will make the flow uneven. 9-10% tin will give the best improvement to flow and the right level of hardness.

4 Likes

Finally setting up for bulk annealing. Got this kit ordered.

5 Likes

Nice machine. How many times can .223 be reloaded between annealing? The opinions I’ve found range from 2 times to 5 times. What say the experts here?

3 Likes

The answer is akin to how long is the turkey in the fridge will last. When using an AK in 5.56 I usually use Russian steel casings. I have a Daewoo that treats the brass like a bolt gun. How hot the loads are makes a difference as well. I have a habit of not anealing the 5.56 brass alt all and get about 7 reloadings on them. As the mouth gets a bit gnarled I cut them down to 300BLK and get another 10 or so loadings. I keep the cases by brand and reload count. I am not OCD, that would be out of alphabetical order! After My long story, if you are easy on your brass 5 would a conservative number. The mouth should tell you when.

5 Likes

Short and straight. Thanks. :sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s more a function of how much they stretch in the chamber. Stretching and resizing work hardens the brass, right? If you shot them always out of the same chamber and only pushed the shoulder back a pinch, could get several.
I push it back to minimum length so they work in everything, 4th time through 5-10% will split right where the neck meets the shoulder if I push hard side to side on the bullet, but no problems with 2 resizings.
308 new Starline start loosing accuracy after second resizing (Initial sizing + 2 resizing) but again I push back the shoulder hard and use a small base die, so attributing creeping deviations to loss of neck tension. Fortunately one of the brothers annealed a couple hundred for me and I have couple hundred more new. Have also seen 223 and 308 start pulling apart down near the base, assume big chamber.

4 Likes

Midway USA has 1 lb containers of IMR 4895: IMR 4895 Smokeless Gun Powder 1 lb

I know the price is 26% higher than pre-COVID prices, but if you need it, you need it.
Happy reloading !

4 Likes

Looking for some CFE pistol if anyone gets a heads up.

2 Likes

Anyone using

Ramshot powders are double-based, spherical-shaped, smokeless powders that meter easy, burn clean and produce high velocities. Excellent lot-to-lot consistencies for repeatable accuracy between loads.

Enforcer produces high velocities in a wide variety of large handgun calibers. Works well in progressive reloaders. High bulk density allows maximum loads at full case capacity. Performs well in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, 454 Casull, and 480 Ruger, plus .22 Hornet rifles.

Sinclair, Issue:5B, Page:097

RAMSHOT POWDER - RAMSHOT ENFORCER POWDERS

?

2 Likes

Looks like it may be for larger caliber pistols?

1 Like

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/74736

$23.50 hazardous materials fee applies. Seems high?

1 Like

Recommendation for a universal rear sight pusher?

Know this is in the wrong category but wanted the people in this message thread’s opinions. Mostly I need a pusher for a Glock 40 MOS but figured if I’m getting one, I’d like to be able to use it on other guns. That list includes G42, G43, G17, Springfield 1911, Sig something (2022?), SW Victory… I’ll repost it in tools but appreciate the help.
Thx

3 Likes

Someone posted this recently…

3 Likes

I have an NcSTAR, pushes hard enough to plow a stainless steel slide if you don’t bother fitting the sight first. (Don’t ask me how I know!)
More important then the most awesome sight pusher in the world is a couple quality files and stones, a flat plate and some wet dry.

2 Likes

Cico, Albo,

Thx. I fell when hiking a week back or so, pretty much right on a rock, with the G40 in between me and the rock. The rear sight is half in and half out, the half that’s out is out and above the track. I want to push it out orthogonal to the slide and then reinstall. Could go to a gunsmith but rather have the tool and knowledge.
Thx.

3 Likes

I have done some reloading (6.5 Creedmoor) with a friend in WA who has all the tools and know how but not on my own. Doing reloads is on my to-do list. When I retire and have the time to do it.

Asking what gear to buy always invokes a heated debate. Hornady, Lee, Lyman, RCBS. It’s like asking who would win a cat fight… Pat Benatar or Sheena Easton (in 1980).

I found that few like to reload pistol rounds: 9, 40, 45. No idea why. I tend to consume more in those calibers than I do my long guns. Rifle ammo for me would be 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 45-70, 300 BLK, and of course 556/223. But mostly 308 and 6.5 CRD. I shoot 6.5 Creedmoor exclusively for PRS. I use Hornady ELD factory ammo, occasionally Federal. I could improve results using handloads.

I’m interested in what others say here. And for the record, I gotta go with Sheena.

3 Likes