Any Reloaders Out There?

Couple more little piggies fall to some of my reloads. These were 60gr. Hornady HP’s.

10 Likes

I came into a good number of Sig 115gr .355" (9mm) FMJ seeds. Using a basic recipe of 3.2gr of Tite group and a COL of 1.10" they chamber and function ok but seem a little “soft”. Checking Sig brand factory ammo, I found a COL of 1.08". I wonder how much the pressure increase would be if this batch were seated to 1.08" using the same powder charge? If anyone can steer me to a calculator or let me know if the pressure would still be safe, I’d be much obliged.

4 Likes

I’ve used Gordon’s reloading tool.

https://www.grtools.de/

4 Likes

Thanks for the link, looks like a well thought out program.

3 Likes

Another one falls to one of my handloads. This time a 165 gr. Hornady SST 30-06. This guy lets me hunt on his families place so I keep him and his dad in quality hunting ammo.

14 Likes

3.2 seems light from memory but tightgroup will run way off the charts low end and still push a bullet out the barrel. As long as the pistol functions and your getting consistency with your groups all good.
Changing the COL 0.02 won’t amount to much in a pistola. You could do the math, tightgroup is pretty linear.

4 Likes

If you can give me the length of the Sig 115gr bullet I can run it through Quickload for you. I’ve found that in 9mm a general rule of thumb is 1000 psi increase for every .01" deeper that the bullet is seated.

3 Likes

I used a low end recommended charge based on Serria and Hornady seeds to start with.

These measure .5730".

Interesting. Thanks.

1 Like

I ran your load of 3.2gr of Titegroup at 1.100 OAL with a .573 length 115gr bullet (.241 seating depth) through Quickload and it shows a chamber pressure of 21177 psi, well below the 35000 psi SAAMI max. Lowering the OAL to 1.080 increases the pressure to 23011 psi. Increasing the powder charge to 3.8gr and 1.100 OAL gives a chamber pressure of 29888 psi which is approx 15% below SAAMI max. You may want to work up slowly as it doesn’t take much Titegroup to quickly get over SAAMI max. It only took 4.1gr to get to the SAAMI max of 35000 psi. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to run the numbers, much appreciated.

4 Likes

FWIW. Not for me at that price.

3 Likes

Brownells has cci SRP for $74.99 /1000. Limit 2

Well they have more today 12-2-21 but they jacked the price up to $82.99……

2 Likes

Not/ never been an issue in the AR platform, large or small frame. (AFAIK)
Been loading and shooting AR15 since long, long. ago. Lots of discussion on the 308 forum same conclusion.
There is. However , a big difference in ignition and flame with the military primers, for sure start over with load development if you switch over.

2 Likes

Stumbled across a reloading site I hadn’t seen before. Some good info.

5 Likes

So I keep hearing we should be wary of using other peoples reloads. From the sounds of things, a lot of us make and Store are on reloads.
If we die and leave our reloaded ammo… What good is it? So is it a good idea to make large amounts large numbers a lot of reloaded ammunition or should we just sit on the material?

3 Likes

Make it, but leave the loading, chrono and any other relevant data in the storage box. Also note each lot you make with what firearm it’s for.

Who knows what the situation will be then and it may just be better to have it ready and labeled.

3 Likes

Loaded up 200 .40 cal practice ammo tonight. 180gr. CPFN, 6.0gr. Ramshot Silhouette, WSP primers.

8 Likes

Can confirm. Definitely work separate loads for military vs. non-military primers.

1 Like

Followup on the soft shooting 9mm loads. After re-seating to 1.08" the slight increase in pressure resulted in a much-improved round. No more FTF (feed) or FTE issues in either the Kimber or Beretta. Accuracy at 50yds was not bad, a tendency to shoot high which was expected.

4 Likes

Seem any cleaner burning?

3 Likes