M*CARBO Brotherhood

Any Reloaders Out There?

@Monty and @jeffing65 hope you guys didn’t think I was being a scold. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As Jeff knows I love model 70s, (love pre-64s) but man there is a big range of differences over the years, changes that will impact data. :+1:

I have never hunted by aircraft, seems like it would be kick in the britches! :grin:

5 Likes

@Johnksg
I always contemplated a hunting expedition from a helicopter… How cool would that be? Add that to an African/Australian Outback Adventure!

5 Likes

@Johnksg

Oh no! Like I said, you were right to bring that up. I would have PM my info and not really thought any more about it.
I sometimes forget that not everyone automatically thinks as I or you might. Not mentioning or discussing very important points, or sharing real experience and knowledge about a specific topic, can be as bad as providing incorrect or incomplete info.

@Johnksg I know you and I, and I’m sure we can both speak for everyone else, take pride in our forum and what we put forth for everyone and the sport. No One here wants or would accept anything less than the best we can do and should always speak when something is believed important, incorrect, or has more than one variable to consider. :+1::smiley:

3 Likes

Have a Browning Safari semi auto in 300 WSM. Short fat cartridges so the magazine only holds two rounds, but there is some serious speed and energy there. Used it four years ago to take my first bear.

6 Likes

I like Accurate #7 for my 9mm. it burns clean and It can be used for other calibers as well. I like CFE pistol too.

6 Likes

I shoot at a range and pick up loads of brass every time I go. It takes me a while but its worth it. just have a lot of cleaning to do, but I don’t work so I have plenty of time to clean and prep the brass.

5 Likes

I like Power Pistol for my 9mm pistols, but I like slower burning Blue Dot when loading for my 9mm S2K. Here’s a test of Sierra 125 gr FMJ over 6.7gr Blue Dot and WSP primers. Gun was sighted in with Fiocchi 115 gr. First shot was high so I aimed a little lower. Drilled the next 7 shots. This is from my new M Series S2K. @25 yards. 22282

5 Likes

nice shooting mike nothing wrong with the groupings @Texprep

4 Likes

I have used Lee Loader before with 45ACP. Worked great. It is more difficult to get same grain because the scoop isn’t always the same. May be off a grain or 2 high or low, so is factory ammo.

I use single stage press, takes more time but
I reload because I enjoy it. I can focus and block out everything. I save about half on 40SW reloads.

5 Likes

Yeah i have a single stage at house i use but i seen the lee loaders and thought a couple of them would be great for on the go bug out bag loaders

4 Likes

@speedloader45 I pick up brass all the time out in the desert. This last time I picked up 180 38 spl and 80 45 auto.

4 Likes

I’m working on load development in a M96 now…it’s a '98 made in the first 40K contracted by the Swedes. SN 32,xxx, pristine mirror bore and metal.

I conserved the walnut stock and metal and moved it to the safe, and moved the action and everything else to a Husky '09 stock I got from Numrich. Chopped it down at the first barrel band, floated it, Acuraglas’d everything inside, and put in a Timney 103 trigger. Absolute sweetheart.

If you get back in the reloading, get PPU brass from Grafs, use CCI200 primers, 41.6-41.8 grains of A4350 with a 140 grain Hornady ELD payloads. You’ll be pleased with the results downrange, at say…250 yards. Sounds like you have the brass, so, neck size it only because that will do magic to your groups.

Don’t be afraid to have some freebore on these, because as you move the bullet up to the lands it actually gets worse. A lot of that “bullet jump voodoo” is urban legend and people latch on to published OALs (and exert a lot of effort) to merely enlarge their groups. Just determine your OAL yourself…your mileage may vary.

4 Likes

I just bought a Lee powder measure, $25 at Cabela’s. Wow. Really improves reloading powder. Much better than measuring onto a scale for every round.

3 Likes

It sometimes does, depending on what your mission objective is.

During accuracy load development for rifles, a lot of folks, including me, use the following rule to make ladder loads with specific powders and specific bullets:

0.005 X case capacity in grains = each increment in grains to test.

I think if you run some hypothetical numbers in the above you might see that as little as +/- 0.1 grain difference can blow right across one of your ladders for some cartridges.

One specific example is a 7.62x39mm, where the harmonic nodes on a SKS or AK, or even something like a Howa Mini Action, show up obviously (as about a 2 MOA expansion in group) with as little as 0.2 grains difference in loads with a fast powder like A1680 and a bullet like a 150 grain SIE PH.

So, the bottom line is if you’re loading some cartridges for accuracy the old school method of hand weighing is still the best (most precise). If you’re loading handgun rounds, or rifle hunting loads (read: max loads) you can get by with the error because the mechanical factors of the gun (like barrel bushings, chamber slop, barrel land/groove inconsistencies, etc.) swamp any effect of small differences in your load.

Actually, a confession–when I load a bunch of 9mms to burn up, I just use the Lee dipper with my powder. Works fine; chronos fine; punches holes in stuff fine. The chrono SD and ES is sooooo huge on handgun rounds, well, you get the point…

6 Likes

@Arkindole I concur. I was referencing my bulk reloading as opposed
to load developement… 'cause that is how i got to my current load, using the scale.

7 Likes

Picked up one of these mtm ammo can and crate combo to use for storing cleaned brass. Amazon had them for 24.99 which is a great deal. Plan to pick up another for rifle brass as well since i really like this setup. These are MTM AC3C. 3 50cal cans in a stackable crate. They also make one that has 4 30cal cans in a crate. MTM AC4C.

9 Likes

My son bought some of these off Amazon some time ago only he got me the singles that came with 100 rd ammo boxes and had the caliber labeled on the outside.

Do you use these for loaded ammo then?

3 Likes

I’m getting ready to order brass, it’s been a while. Do any of you have any suggestions where to buy? I normally just go to Starline directly and get it there. Just thought there May be a better place to save a little money.

I have purchased once fired but I’m not thinking they always know if it’s once fired or not lol

I am needing a min of 500 each of 45acp, 40 and 32acp

I was going to load a short video of my progressive in action but it wouldn’t allow.

This is showing a bullet magazine.

To see when the tube I’m using out of is empty I found an old mirror one of my kids had.

These are a few photos I last took to show someone the mirror I use on mine.

7 Likes

Nice setup Gary. If all goes as planned I should be reloading by this fall.

7 Likes

I keep my processed, ready to load brass in these. As i deprime, clean, resize, and trim where necessary, i toss them in these and have them right next to my reloading desk. For loaded/live round storage i keep with the metal 50cal ammo cans.

5 Likes