M*CARBO Brotherhood

Any Luck With Commercial Brass Catchers?

Has anyone have any luck with a commercial brass catcher? I have a lot of 9mm ammo (close to 20,000 rounds) to test and would like to save the brass. This lil carbine fires any 9mm I put thru it. Has mcarbo been successful with creating a catcher? If Kel Tec put a rail on the top of the receiver we would have plenty of options.

3 Likes

What envirnment are you going to test 20,000 rounds ? I will be willing to bring a bushel basket and do my DAMNedest

Or just put the the tailgate of a pickup truck down and park it about 3 feet off to your right.

Using 12" duct work set up an elbow with about a 2’ feet pipe on the receiving end turn the other end down and use a suitable length of pipe emptying into a plastic bag lined large box and catch as you can.
Then mail the box to me when full.

Or better yet what brand of ammo are you shooting ?
To solve the collection issue send the fresh ammo to me and I will shoot it and send you the empty brass. BINGO collection issue solved.
Or if you are in a warm location and you pay my expenses and we can come to an agreement on the time estimated to complete the task, I will come down and collect the brass as you fire the rounds.
I have a Sprinter high roof van I bet you I can set it up so 100% is collected.

Build a PVC frame of adequate size and line with loose fitting plastic. PLace that structure on the right hand side of shooting position and have a large volume fan to the left
Or pour a 40’ square foot pad and erect walls on 3 sides and hire a willing attractive person to sweep it up after each use.

4 Likes

A friend of mine has his manufactures license and he gave me 15 .30cal ammo cans full of 9mm to test. He is running 5 Dillon automated presses (each will do 2500 rounds an hour).

The first 20,000 rounds were made without a powder checker. In lies our issue. I’ve already come across a few that were low powder or no powder. The primer popped the projectile out but did not cycle the bolt and eject the brass. I had to remove the barrel and push the projectile out. I have free indoor range privileges at a range near me. I would like to collect the brass to return for reloads.

It will take me and a few others months to shoot it all up. A typical range trip for me is about 200-400 rounds. I’ve gone about every day this week and bought a Sub 2000 to assist with using up the ammo. A brass catching bag would work best.

I was going to take my Tippmann 9mm Gatling gun but I do not trust it cycling a round in a barrel and the next going boom. I prefer a gas or blowback ejection so that I know it is firing properly.

If anyone is in the Cleveland area and wants to help shoot some 9’s send me a message.

Brian

5 Likes

Sounds like a job for a bullet puller.

3 Likes

Just lay a 12x12 tarp to the right.

3 Likes

Im in Detroit, so if i get any long weekends, or layoff/shutdown in january, i could put some hours in, to help the cause ! Could even bring a friend or two…:smirk:, and a couple dozen of our competition target of the month. Just for fun.

2 Likes

I have several and they work good. Make sure you install it correctly and don’t forget to empty it!

2 Likes

I use on for my AR’s. Works like a champion.

You may consider weighing them. Any that are obviously lighter than the average should be set aside.

6 Likes

@Burt Tarps work great. When I shoot at my buddy’s farm we lay a tarp down, makes clean-up a breeze. Even this guy sees the advantage of a tarp for clean-up…
ElementaryVacantFlatfish-small

6 Likes

The guys laughed at me when I set down a tarp where we were shooting but the joke was on them-at the end of the day, I just grabbed the corners of the tarp and put in the back my truck to sort out at home…

5 Likes

If I was shooting outdoors, I would use a tarp. Unfortunately, I’m indoors in a stall.

3 Likes

I ordered a nice black powder scale. Guess what I’m doing in the evenings, weighing 18,000 rounds, on at a time. Yay. I guess I can’t complain too much. It’s free ammo.

2 Likes

How about putting the MCarbo deflector on it and putting a bushel basket underneath to catch the brass?

2 Likes

I ordered a brass catcher with the Velcro strap. I have zip ties I can use if needed for support. I like the idea of just opening the zipper at the bottom to empty the brass into a .30 cal can. Thanks for the suggestion, I will check out the deflector, it may help with catching on the bag.

2 Likes

Yep. A tarp is a MUST when we are shooting our “magic guns”. :laughing:

5 Likes

FWIW, I weighed the components without powder and came up with an average of 176.5 grains using a 115gr FMJ pill. .

2 Likes

124 grain fmj. I have some commercial 124 grain I will weigh to get a rough weight

3 Likes

I have one for my AR. It fills up fast - you’ll be emptying it often. Maybe leave the zipper open and have that bushel basket underneath…

5 Likes

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10651&urlLangId=-1&urlRequestType=Base&categoryId=&langId=-1&catalogId=10551

Here two types I have the pic rail one and love it. I reload and I’m lazy so I don’t have to police all my bras my ARs throw plus I have it on amy Roger PCC

2 Likes

@zzrguy Hmm… Is this a new invention of yours that you’re selling on Cabela’s a “Bra” catcher?! Bravo my guy :joy:

6 Likes