Another swing and another miss!

So I been ‘a-huntin’ from my back deck the past few days-some mornings and some evenings-with the new smokepole. I dunno why, I just like foolin’ with it and I feel using it helps to give Bambi a bit more of a sporting chance. Shot at one doe Wednesday evening in the side yard at about 25 yards and completely lost her in the smoke. Walked over to look for blood and she had run down to the road, stopped, turned and was looking at me like a fool. The she leisurely walked over to the edge of my property and jumped the fence into the neighbor’s huge briar patch. Despite 20 minutes of looking I never found even one drop of blood.
I always see deer in the pasture across the road at night when I pull down my driveway. Well, hadn’t seen any deer the last couple days or nights. I figured maybe I scared ‘em enough to go elsewhere. Nope, last night there were 7 bedded down-in my front yard about 30 feet from the road! They are usually across the road in the high stuff at night. I doesn’t has any NV so I let them be. Got out on the back porch bright and early this morning Except it wasn’t bright-it was raining. Good thing my back deck is covered. Saw two rabbits, three squirrels and a bunch of crows the first hour or so. Was just about to go inside and make a pot of coffee when I just happened to see movement behind some thick underbrush across the property line. Lifted me binocs and could finally make out a doe what was nibblin’ at stuff. l watched her for nearly 15 minutes until she finally moved over to a slightly less brushy area that I thought I could thread well enough to smack her. Another 25 yard shot and still not one drop of blood! To add insult to injury, I then got ‘blowed’ at (twice!) whilst walking back and forth looking for a blood trail!
Well, that’s it for me and the smokepole, I’m yanking the Tikka .308 out of the safe today!

11 Likes

@SnuffySmiff what brand smokepole are you using? I had a cva 8 or 9 years ago that when you shot it would never even hit close to where it had just hit

3 Likes

It’s a new T/C Impact. I’m using an E. Arthur Brown picatinny rib with peep sight and have fired it a total of 8 times. The first 6 was at a mark on a tree approx. 80 feet away. It was hitting a couple inches high but on target otherwise. Have tried two sets of rings and haven’t found what I want to mount a scope, yet. I reckon I could blame the two misses on the old powder, the old primers or the old Barnes ML bullets but I’m more inclined to think it was little ol’ me… FWIW, I sat on the back porch again this evening (well, yesterday) and got ‘blowed’ at twice in quick succession but never did see the deer doing it. My house sits at the back of the lot so I’m somewhat limited in my lines of fire and about half of those have a lot of underbrush blocking them.

5 Likes

Was gonna ask that myself. I know little about black powder guns but did own a cheap .50 cal CVA at one time. Unlike brother @Whitehammer, my CVA was actually pretty damn accurate, about minute of lead ball at 50 yards.

4 Likes

Last year I bought a https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/nitrofire and love it the only issue I actually had was finding the bullets they recommended but I found them and bought 200 rounds of them. I bought it because I was tired of every year during our late muzzleloader it always wants to rain and the last two years I’ve missed two big bucks Do to damp powder

4 Likes

That Nitrofire’s a nice looking gun (I’d like to see it sporting some wood stocks, though realize the plastic is practical), but the Firestick thing is interesting. I wasn’t aware it existed. I suppose this is the next evolution for the smoky ones.

I never used raw powder in my CVA, only powder pellets, which I actually liked quite a bit for the convenience.

5 Likes

I see that’s the new one what loads the powder charge like a shotgun shell, correct? Now, do you load the bullet in the breech or from the muzzle?
I’ve got to get a proper target set up and ‘pattern’ this thing! From research I’ve done I’m thinking 125 grains of Triple7 might be a tad too much. (I got a 10/22 that will NOT shoot any hyper ammo for chit!) One old timer suggests to start @70 grs and work up from there. Which also means dragging out the chrono to check velocity to make sure I get expansion. Oh well, it ain’t like I got nothing better to do…

2 Likes

Well here’s some chitty news. Just got an email from Hodgdon. They’re completely sold out of Blackhorn 209 powder and they’re not making any more until next year… :frowning_face: :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

The bullet loads down the barrel and sits on a shelf. And this is the bullet they recommend and I have to say they load easy even after 5+ shots without cleaning and the power has hardly any smoke

Ps you have to use the fire stick shotshell

5 Likes

@SnuffySmiff ive just about always used 100 gr triple 7 and 245 gr aero tip power belt bullets and had fantastic results

3 Likes

Hmmm… Well I absolutely agree with on how much fun it is to hunt with a smoke pole. I didn’t have much luck with the minie’ ball and patch. I went to a to a sabot with a 44cal 300gr XTP. Man it’s a deer hammer. And the accuracy is way better! After the smoke clears all I see is a deer anchored to the ground kicking a leg. Give it a try you’ll love it!

2 Likes