M*CARBO Brotherhood

Ammunition Storage

Found this excellent video and I’m pretty much in agreement and doing the same thing…almost.

Stacks of the same type ammo could be stacked with the newest on the bottom to save space verses the spacers used in the video.
Love the USA made steel ammo cans!
I have several 30 cal cans from the 80’s with ammunition purchased back then also. This was from a period that I lived on a sailboat for 13 years. Yes it was on the ocean=salt&high corrosion! All long stored ammo is performing and feeling like new ammo. No misfires. I’ll get some pics up soon.

Great winter project for me to do.

15 Likes

Here’s my two 30 cal ammo boxes from the 80’s…with the same ammo purchased in one of them.
Check the prices! 100 MiniMags for $1.97 and 50 Stingers for $2.27…those were the days. :grinning:

I’m going to clean and paint these boxes…they earned it!

11 Likes
Stingers are my favorite .22 round, have a reserve of about 5000 rds.
9 Likes

@Dane > “Stingers are my favorite .22 round, have a reserve of about 5000 rds.”

I’m just buying MiniMag LR hp and rn rds. these days. Twice as many rounds for the same cost as hyper ammo and suits my use better. Also less wear on the firearm and barrel.

If I want to go fast and spend more money now I’m trying some of the LR copper dust ammo! Lol it hauls butt at 1,850 FPS. 21 grain verses 32 grain. Again…good for short distances that I use.

8 Likes

Never tried the mini mags. Love those Stingers tho.

8 Likes

K-Mart no less!
What type of paint? I’m going to look for mat finish sand.

4 Likes

I have a few hundred of the mini-mags too. I use those if I am shooting something I intend to eat. The Stingers are for exploding nuisance critters. Should try the copper-22’s. I really like speed!

4 Likes

And before K Mart, we had Montgomery Ward. $4.99 a box for 30-06? Yep, what’s that in todays money, two bits?

9 Likes

For me it’s going to be all in the prep work. Many paints will do well.
I’m looking at Satan Italian Olive from Slows. Don’t forget to tape off the gasket before applying paint.

Italian Olive

10 Likes

Prep is key. Shame the original lettering can’t be preserved. I used that same paint on two cans and my E Tool with very good results.

8 Likes

my first shotgun was from Montgomery “Monkey Wards” Ward

8 Likes

The good old days. When you could buy a gun, or ammo for that matter, and not be looked at like a mass murder.

10 Likes

@Jperr in the good old days for “show and tell” in school girls would bring dolls and the boys would bring guns and knives and no one thought of hurting anyone. Do you remember when sex was safe and drugs were dangerous? Lol

11 Likes

I do, actually. These are strange times we live in.

9 Likes

A vacuum food sealer and desiccant packs make for good long term storage. Can seal in the boxes or loose. Good bag material is key.

7 Likes

Found this video on how to lock a ammo can. Anyone else have ideas how to lock one?

Here’s another way:

This way keeps the seal tight:

7 Likes

@MountainHunter Check out Amazon.com They have a couple of choices

10 Likes

@godallmighty Good to know how to lock the can tight and looks good. Thank you. :grinning:

4 Likes

How does the vacuum sealer play into this? I’m curious!

5 Likes

Place boxes of ammunition (or loose rounds) into plastic food sealer bag, add desiccant packet, seal up like a pork chop. I have to restate though…good quality bag material is essential to avoid box corners puncturing the bag. I have one large plastic ammo box full of several of each calibers I own. Can be tossed into a pond for storage if the need would arise. Honestly it was the easiest way I could come up with to keep oxygen from contact with ammo. I don’t know the science behind it, but air/moisture is the enemy of long term ammo storage as I understand it.

7 Likes