Ammunition Locker

Anybody have a good suggestions for an ammo locker? I’m wanting to make room in the safe, not to mention the ammo really should be locked up separately from the firearms. I’m not looking to break the bank here. Found this of Amazon, but hopefully can find it cheaper. Any ideas here?

5 Likes

Similar size gun locker here

How you plan on storing said ammo, in individual boxes or in steel cans, could be a factor as the shelf arrangement differs.

fjb

6 Likes

@Slowest

In individual boxes. I wanted to put shelves in. I’m looking at that kind too. But by the time I put the shelving in, I might be up to that price point anyway. Or at least close enough to not bother doing it myself.

5 Likes

Metal storage cabinet with doors

5 Likes

How about an old job box that’s what I’m about to do and I’m also going to make one into a gun safe

15 Likes

Maybe. Maybe an old metal footlocker too. If I can find one.

4 Likes

StackOn and most similar cabinets are OK. Not great. Way overpriced and they always show up dented and dinged

What I found is ideal for ammo storage is used school gym lockers. Older ones are heavier gauge steel and accept a padlock.

They usually come in sections of 3,4, or 6 lockers. You can often find them on Craigslist. Or eBay if you want to pay shipping.

4 Likes

I like my old components crate…

5 Likes

I was assuming something stationary. For portability I have a couple of huge Pelican cases. I stumbled across them - used and cheap. No foam inside. They are about the size of a large suitcase.

2 Likes

I just found lockers online that I would have bought. But the literally wanted $320 to ship. 1 section of 4 lockers would have been great for $170 otherwise. Damn.

3 Likes

Private seller? Try Uship. Somebody might put in a low bid.

2 Likes

How about an old refrigerator or freezer & adapt it to fit your needs?

9 Likes

I put my ammo in these. I mean, who’s going to want to steal it?

Yeah… I need to drop the SIG jokes. Not.

9 Likes

The job box is a great idea. Comes with decent latches and locks.

4 Likes

I know what you mean there.
Pre-pandemic gun safes were not very expensive, so that’s the route I went.
Having the fire rating was a plus. :fire:

Material costs to reconfigure were mininal since the MDF used was surplus.

fjb

9 Likes

I’m up to 4 and think they are perfect for over flow of anything . :wink:

Larry :innocent:

12 Likes

I have two large flammable liquid storage lockers. They 72x48x24 inches deep. They are lockable and very secure. They hold a lot of “jelly beans”. The selves are plenty heavy duty enough to hold boxes or ammo cans.

5 Likes

Could you maybe extend that further without violating security?

Thanks Larry

3 Likes

Holy cow, I guess I am going to have to go on a diet. $2,400.00 to store Jelly beans !!!
I guess at the costs of jelly beans it is worth it. I am going to have to hire a forklift if I move.

5 Likes

Larry,
You can get them in various sizes, but they are required by most fire codes in commercial building for storage of flammable liquids, like spray paint, paint thinners, etc. They are usually yellow but I painted mine. They are usually lockable and pretty secure. I keep all my of daily use, individually packaged jelly beans in them because they are easy access. The full cased stuff stays in similar storage containers in my steel reinforced concrete walk in jelly bean storage facility. I have a lot of jelly beans.

4 Likes