Ammo Identification

Has anyone seen the ammo before? No branding, steel case. Being sold locally for a decent price, was originally bought a few years ago.

3 Likes

@DrumsGunsBMX

I might have an answer, correct me if I’m wrong.
BUT, I have not seen that particular packaging. As you know both Russian and Chinese SKS are chambered for that round. I have a 1951 Russian SKS and only fire the non-corrosive ammunition you have there. I purchased the firearm to shoot on a budget. And most recently the non-corrosive ammunition is not sold at a premium any more. I’d bet that ammunition would fire and cycle just fine IMHO. The corrosive ammunition is cheap by comparison.
Hope this helps?

2 Likes

@DrumsGunsBMX

I’m guessing it’s a case of Barnaul.

Can we see the headstamp?

3 Likes

@Thatoneguy
I concur, but the packaging is different, that’s all.

3 Likes

Multiple packings used.

Of course, I could be wrong too.

I’m basing my assumption of these marks…

5 Likes

@Thatoneguy @DrumsGunsBMX

Yup Barnaul.100%

4 Likes

Damn, you guys are good! ThatOne Guy with the eagle eye - great catch with what little I had given to work with. .40pr is a little higher than what I can buy it online for, but when you add in shipping & tax, the bottom line is the same if not more. And I’ll be supporting another member of my club, which I’m all for. Thanks for the help, this forum is the best!

6 Likes

Local Gun Shop is selling Barnaul 7.62x39 boxes of twenty for $7.00 a box. Hard to find any thats cheaper.

3 Likes