Aluminum cased ammo?

I just bought some Aluminum case ammo from Bass Pro Shops in 9mm at $18 for 50 rounds (before tax).
I never shoot Al - anything to pay attention to?
I did shoot steel cases and the grime they left behind jammed my magazine spring after like 100 rounds.

This is what they say about it:

CCI® Blazer® Handgun Ammo provides maximum shooting pleasure, for minimum cost, by using aircraft-grade aluminum cases. Loaded with Speer® bullets and CCI primers, Blazer Handgun Ammo functions reliably in all types of handgun actions. A great choice for high-volume target practice.

8 Likes

No issues to speak of. The cases are not able to be reloaded is the only drawback.

8 Likes

I’ve never had any issues with this ammo in either 9mm Luger or .380ACP.

7 Likes

YES.

IME, blowback actions don’t handle aluminum cased ammo well.

Both of my 9mm carbines are blowback, so … Al case might run in my pistols but I already have 100rds of steel case 9mm securing the last crap I’ll shoot position.

I do have some Al cased 38/357 shot shell that I’m unlikely to ever shoot.

9 Likes

Ive shot those aluminums quite a bit in my younger years because they were only $8/box. The regular issue i had in Glock platforms, is that the case rim / lip is so soft a strong extractor can bite in, and not release when the case is trying to pivot out. I had a number of FTEs because of this, maybe 5-10 times per box.
Eventually i just gave up on going cheap, to save the hassle.

9 Likes

Thank you everyone!
I am not planning to reload and no blowback action here, just normal handguns.

6 Likes

I had a box in .40 s&w given to me, and although I wouldn’t normally buy them, I shot all of them in my old Star without any issues.

5 Likes

I’ve been using them for years with no problems, I have a Ruger carbine with 33 round glock mags and they are noticeably lighter in weight.

4 Likes

SoNic,
I have shot thousands of rounds of aluminum cased blazer in matches as well as just plinking. I even have a bunch of .44 spl loaded with 200 grain Gold Dot bullets that I wouldn’t hesitate to carny as defensive ammo. The cases are anodized and coated (some type of polymer) and function through all of my auto pistols and revolvers. All the pistols I have used them in are short recoil operated pistols and I have not shot them through a straight blowback pistol. I have not seen any issues come through the shop in that regard. As a gunsmith for that last 45 years the only issues I have seen related to the aluminum cased ammo, were very early on and it was more powder related. I have not seen a single issue in recent years. I have seen plenty of issues with steel cased ammo, however.

5 Likes

Do most indoor ranges go crazy and say no to aluminum like they do with steel? They want their brass money.

3 Likes

Not that I know of, I reserve the Al for those establishments that don’t allow me to reclaim my brass. YMMV

5 Likes

When I check for available ammo I honestly have not seen (or I missed it) aluminum cased ammo. Is it cheaper? What are the best brands in 9mm and .223? Do they even have 22lr?

2 Likes

Just called my indoor range. They are VERY anti-steel but said aluminum is allowed.

3 Likes

I used to shoot Al cases a lot when it was cheaper. I have shot it in both revolvers and semi-autos with no problems. I did find that magnum rounds were not near as hot a the “equivalent” brass rounds. A little false advertising going on there. All the semi-auto ammo chronographed as published.
What is the deal on steel cases? I seperate steel out with a magnet were as aluminum has to be hand sorted. Steel cases are a lot dirtier on the gun but I don’t see why the range would prefer Al over steel.

1 Like

My range checks the ammo boxes with a magnet for steel bullets.
The steel cases are still “sticking” a bit to the magnet, so the want to inspect the rounds visually too. But they allowed them.

1 Like

I have used the 9MM AL ammo for years in multiple semi auto’Pistols and a Ruger PCC. Never a problem or malfunction.

3 Likes

Some pistols don’t like aluminum casings. My experience was w/ SCCY, Kimber , no luck.

1 Like

A lot of indoor ranges don’t allow brass because the vendor they sell the brass to back charges them if there are aluminum or steel casings mixed in.

Steel they can separate with magnets. Aluminum… obviously not.

Not casing related but I agree with Taj that the non-brass ammo I’ve used in the past seemed dirty. But that’s a powder issue.

On the other hand, I have shot tons of steel cased Russki ammo thru an AK. No issues. AKs will eat anything without complaint.

1 Like

The real Russki weapons were designed to shoot steel casings years ago, always enjoyed shooting the AK. A local favorite for feral hogs, no season & no limit in them.

3 Likes

@DirtSalior Do you need any kind of license for hog hunting then? In Wisconsin we can shoot coyotes anytime of the year and no limit. But we have to have a small game license, which is around $25/year

2 Likes