M*CARBO Brotherhood

All things Cerekote

Who has some cerekote work done? Let’s see them. I’ve been pondering about getting some cerkote on my CZ Shadow 2. My dream would be to get a color case hardened look. I haven’t looked into prices or if that look is even possible with cerekote

4 Likes

check out @HandyDave he does some coating. Maybe he will respond here…

4 Likes

Thinks for shout out @cico7 . I do hydrographic finishes. I am slowly getting everything together for cerakote work. Ive got a file cabinet oven im building as i get time. Ive seen some amazing custom cerakote jobs online the possibilities are allmost endless. Its the same with the hydrographics as well the film patterns are endless. And with hydrographics you can have custom film made to order with whatever you want on it. We need to get @ValorSolo over here. Hes been doing some cerakote stuff and im sure can help with this topic from his experience.

6 Likes

Titanium blue:

O.D.Green

7 Likes

Wasn’t brother @ValorSolo dabbling in doing his own Cerakoting?

7 Likes

Cerakote over parkerizing

7 Likes

Well I don’t know how much help I could be but I’ll try.
I’ve done a bit of coating, but only solid colors so far.
I’m planning a battle worn finish on the Stevens 12ga.

This is definitely over my head, but probably possible.
Might be a better candidate for a hydro-dip finish.

7 Likes

I was scrolling around the webs this mornin. And found something that might be what your looking for. Website is steelfxpatinas.com . They sell all kinds of kits to give different effects including case hardened look without heat. It looks kinda like cold bluing but for different effects. I cant verify the site and havent used it. But reviews are good and it looks like it works. I know with hydrographic film you can find some different oil slick patterns that give kinda case hardened look. And liquidconcepts.com is a hydrographic film supplier and they list a couple case hardened patterns on there site.

7 Likes

Been watching the color case hardened discussion and decided to share my experience with Beretta’s factory fake color case hardening on a 45 Long Colt SA Revolver I sold off.

It was stunning and beautifu! until it wore a little. The wear was just wrong as soon as it.started. Casecolor hardening is actually a hardening process that does not wear like a surface finish. I did archive a smith that has good reviews for actual case color hardening before the pandemic. His info is on the laptop that is still at my old townhouse - I don’t know if his business has survived this pandemic but I will look him up if you’re interested in the real deal process.

5 Likes

What scares me off from the real deal is the cost. I’ve found some places online that do it, but it’s usually around $1,200 plus shipping. I have a hard time spending that much when that’s more than I paid for the gun itself

8 Likes

There’s a guy here who went to their school. He’s pretty good, but also a custom gunsmith, so he’s been so busy with other stuff, he put the Cerakote on hold for a while. I got an old S&W 19 done the other year, but a picture won’t do any good because it’s all one color, and the color is gunmetal…
There are tons of colors if that’s your thing. He has experimented with all kinds of things to apply it to give it patterns with extra “break-up” (don’t know how else to explain it). There’s also more than one generation (or whatever they call it) with different surface types - not textures, per se, but slickness. I’d tell you what it cost, but that was about 3 years ago, and he gave me a good-neighbor/disabled vet price since it was such an easy job.

4 Likes

@Thatoneguy I didnt find colt 45 but im sure it could be made. Here is a few related options i found with a quick search and a few bacon pattern films.

5 Likes

Bacon camo on your pistol…I can feel it now.

6 Likes

It just proves bacon is perfect for any occasion. I think the bacon pattern would be badass on a hog hunting rifle.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing.

4 Likes

I need some BDUs in this pattern.

3 Likes